John in New Zealand

#2 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:35 AM

Hello.
I GUESS, that's about different allowed speeds for freight and passenger trains, passing the same stretch.

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 02 September 2023 - 03:02 AM

Not sure about that. I have my passenger trains speed set to 70 mph and freight to 50 mph, they both work in the route but in my TRK passenger and freight rules are still showing (0). My DAR route had the maximum speed set to 125 mph for aircraft and the trains were doing whatever the track speed was set to.

Maybe a "future" setting that was never implemented.

Paul :-)

#4 User is offline   NZ_JOHN 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:53 PM

View Postcharland, on 02 September 2023 - 03:02 AM, said:

Not sure about that. I have my passenger trains speed set to 70 mph and freight to 50 mph, they both work in the route but in my TRK passenger and freight rules are still showing (0). My DAR route had the maximum speed set to 125 mph for aircraft and the trains were doing whatever the track speed was set to.

Maybe a "future" setting that was never implemented.

Hi
So how did you set the passenger trains speed set to 70 mph and freight to 50 mph?
In the Trk file or activity or where?
Thanks

#5 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:31 PM

I set it myself. When you make a route you put speed limits from the end of track to where ever that speed limit changes. You place a speed limit, select Passenger, Freight, or Both and set the speed limit(s). Where the speed limit changes you first set the same speed limit facing the one you first placed, then a second set of speed limits facing the other direction and enter the new speed limits. Think of them as Opening and Closing Brackets, You have the same speed limits facing each other, then when that changes you have a new set of brackets with the new speeds facing each other.

In the TRK you will see the overall route's maximum speed shown as :Speed limit ( 31.2928 ) is the one showing in the route I'm working on right now. The value is meters per second I believe, this translates to 70 mph. In the DAR route it's ( 53.6448 ), that's 125 mph as I have a track that's a "flight path" for aircraft to do 125 mph. The track speed for the trains is set to 60 for passenger, 50 for freight, but in several places that changes to 50 for both, and 50 passenger and 40 freight, plus 15 for both through yards.

#6 User is offline   NZ_JOHN 

• Fireman

Posted 02 September 2023 - 07:39 PM

View Postcharland, on 02 September 2023 - 05:31 PM, said:

I set it myself. When you make a route you put speed limits from the end of track to where ever that speed limit changes. You place a speed limit, select Passenger, Freight, or Both and set the speed limit(s). Where the speed limit changes you first set the same speed limit facing the one you first placed, then a second set of speed limits facing the other direction and enter the new speed limits. Think of them as Opening and Closing Brackets, You have the same speed limits facing each other, then when that changes you have a new set of brackets with the new speeds facing each other.

In the TRK you will see the overall route's maximum speed shown as :Speed limit ( 31.2928 ) is the one showing in the route I'm working on right now. The value is meters per second I believe, this translates to 70 mph. In the DAR route it's ( 53.6448 ), that's 125 mph as I have a track that's a "flight path" for aircraft to do 125 mph. The track speed for the trains is set to 60 for passenger, 50 for freight, but in several places that changes to 50 for both, and 50 passenger and 40 freight, plus 15 for both through yards.

Thanks for that
Im using Speed Sign Boards with either Passenger/Freight or both

#7 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, Paul.
I realize now, these "rule sets" are definitely something different.
But it's still courious to know, what those settings do.

#8 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:09 AM

When I change speed limits I place 4 Japanese Speed Limits (boards), a pair face one was for passenger and freight speeds, and another pair face the new speed limit for passenger and freight. I make sure the boards are rotated to face the correct direction and the I sink them below the surface. I them make my own speed limit sign based on whatever the railroad I'm working on used, then plant it next to the speed limits.

#9 User is offline   NZ_JOHN 

• Fireman

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:59 PM

There are some good speed signs in the full bucket line. You use normal Japanese signs then sink them and use the pre speed signs boards. They are there for 10 to over 100 both passenger and fright. You choose

#10 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 04 September 2023 - 06:57 AM

I'll add one caviot...(based on experience)....I was developing an activity for Amtrak's SW Chief from Chicago to Los angeles....just before the BNSF merger. so the first segment out of Chicago is the Chillicothe sub. (activities and routes available on Trainsim.com)...After developing two segments of the activity I realize that even though the passenger speeds were set to 90MPH, my passenger train in my activity would not go beyond freight speed limit. After several days of investigations, I figured out that my consists included several "express cars" that Amtrak ran as part of the consist during that timeframe. Those "express" cars were not "marked" as passenger cars but as freight cars...therefore my consist could not run as passenger speeds. Modifiying those cars data corrected the problem....I put out an update patch to my first two segments of my 1995 SW Chief to correct this issue....

my point is sometimes it's not just the speed of the route as designed but the consists that you run on the route!!!!

Amtrak115

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users