• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Error in an .eng that worked fine but no longer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Soybetico1997 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:09 PM

Hello, I have a couple of problems with some .eng that worked fine and now doesn't. I have consulted with a friend who produces rolling stock but he has not been able to find the problem. These are some of the trains where the problem occurs (331 is one of them and 333 is other) The attached log is used for all failures, because the same error always appears.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:31 PM

Having cut my coding teeth in another age in a galaxy far, far away, I recall from way back something useful: Not having any kind of debugging software it was necessary to slip commands into the code here and there that would display a short string of unformulated text to the default output device -- depending on the era this was either the computer console or printer as this was decades before the PC. We would examine this text to figure out where the program failed. This sometimes took a lot of such commands but it always eventually told the right tale.

To make this relevant to OR, is there a simple way to process something like this from instructions temporarily placed into .wags and .engs, a method that would print a string to the OR log? For problems like this one the strings would most likely be something along the line of "Begin reading Lights section" followed by "Begin reading Engine Section" and so on. This is something any end user could do w/o asking the programming team (or anyone else) for help.

Obviously if the log shows "Begin reading Lights section" and the abort stuff occurs right after that the user will then add a few more of these commands to try and nail down where in the lights section the problem is.

I assume this would be much easier to implement than trapping the abort and displaying the actual data problem but if I'm wrong on that then by all means do the most sensible alternative.

#3 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:53 PM

While Dave's comments deserve a more complete reply, in the specific case the problem seems to arise from the custom train control system. Soybetico, are you sure you didn't change something on that, or use another version? And can you point to an OR release that didn't cause the problem?

#4 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:11 PM

Hello.

The two lines below cause the error.

ORTSTrainControlSystem("..\\..\\Common_TCS_Spain\\Script\\ServerTCS.cs")
ORTSTrainControlSystemParameters( "..\\..\\Common_TCS_Spain\\Script\\FGC-331.ini")

The use of " \ " characters has been deprecated by NYMG for some time. I also came across this and quickly replaced it with the per sign " / ".

Sincerely, Laci1959

#5 User is offline   Soybetico1997 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:51 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 18 August 2023 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hello.

The two lines below cause the error.

ORTSTrainControlSystem("..\\..\\Common_TCS_Spain\\Script\\ServerTCS.cs")
ORTSTrainControlSystemParameters( "..\\..\\Common_TCS_Spain\\Script\\FGC-331.ini")

The use of " \ " characters has been deprecated by NYMG for some time. I also came across this and quickly replaced it with the per sign " / ".

Sincerely, Laci1959

Yes, after reading the reply I have continued testing and indeed, the problem lay in the .ini file referred to by the TCS. So now it's solved :sign_thanks: :sign_thanks:

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 19 August 2023 - 12:32 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 18 August 2023 - 10:53 PM, said:

While Dave's comments deserve a more complete reply....

Looking forward to reading your thoughts. Of course the Gold Plated solution is a GUI based program, kept up to date, that holds the user hand while they edit the values in those files. I think some sort of message into the log is more practical a wish.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users