• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Allegheny Eastern: Keystone Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 03 August 2023 - 07:22 PM

Allegheny Eastern 4-4-0 "TITAN" simmers by the water tower. The crew has apparently gone into the roundhouse for some reason.
Attached Image: Keystone.jpg

The image is staged (and somewhat pixelated) on my Allegheny Eastern Route, a work in progress. At this point it's more of a backdrop than a route. The mountains in the background are from an Image of the Alleghenies I found on the Internet.

The Keystone roundhouse is based rather loosely on the West Altoona roundhouse circa 1870. The water tank was built using a Canadian Pacific drawing in Model Railroader (January 1974, I think) It somewhat resembles the water tank in Alexandria VA during the Civil War.

Sure could use more clutter in this scene.

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 05 August 2023 - 06:00 AM

Hi Frank,

I sure like the looks of "TITAN", can we see more of her?

Indeed, clutter is essential. Clutter is also fun. :)

#3 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:37 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 05 August 2023 - 06:00 AM, said:

Hi Frank,

I sure like the looks of "TITAN", can we see more of her?

Indeed, clutter is essential. Clutter is also fun. :)

TITAN in all her glory.

Attached Image: SFCAN083.jpg

Attached Image: SFCAN087.jpg

Attached Image: SFCAN086.jpg

Not animated yet. I should be able to copy that anim from a similar model. Doesn't always work

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 06 August 2023 - 06:51 AM

Is this a "kit bash" custom job? It has good lines and a cool short-wheelbase engine truck. I see you opted for the unusual domed headlight casing.

#5 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 06 August 2023 - 01:03 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 06 August 2023 - 06:51 AM, said:

Is this a "kit bash" custom job? It has good lines and a cool short-wheelbase engine truck. I see you opted for the unusual domed headlight casing.

Definitely "kitbashed". I keep blending things I like from old photos an drawings. Some I make up

For example "SAM MUSE"

Attached Image: SFCAN088.jpg

I patterned the cab of "GENERAL GRANT"> Gave her 72" drivers. The odd canted cylinders (Inside connections British style) are from several drawings. The headlamp is an original from the All East shops

Attached Image: SFCAN089.jpg

Attached Image: SFCAN090.jpg

The color scheme may change. I'm thinking all wood with no paint.

Freelancing is fun. Now I have to animate them.

Still fooling with TSRES. One thing I want to do is stub switches and realistic track. The rail is 3D "T" rail, maybe 70 pounds or so. It stands about 4.5 inches tall.

Attached Image: SFCAN092.jpg

Attached Image: RailReference.jpg

This actually the rail reference I use for my models (and the display base for Shape Viewer). It's what I using on the All East. I know it may be too detailed, but I want see how far I can push OpenRails.

Also found the photo I based the Keystone roundhouse on. Full circle, PRR Altoona 1870

#6 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:29 PM

The canted cylinders enjoyed a short-lived vogue for a time. They were designed that way solely for the ease of maintenance of the valves, even on outside connected engines. The PRR had a few like that up to the '70's or so.

Hey, have you seen one like this? The West Coast had a few interesting engines in the '50's and '60's, too, although few and far between.

Attached Image: Sacremento Valley RR Pioneer.jpg
From California State RR Museum.

One of the "Nice to Build" engines on my list is an American inside-connected "Bury" boiler American. Or a Ten-Wheeler. They had a certain elegance to them, I think.

Attached Image: 49435413_2194635257255936_6032637985093058560_o.jpg

I appreciate what you're doing, Frank. I'm doing much the same thing right now, re-inventing the Rogers "Lt.Genl. Grant" into the "Thomas Dodamead", an 1856 (i think) Uriah Wells 4-4-0 with 66" drivers. Mr. Wells built locomotives and rolling stock for the rail roads serving Petersburg before and during the war. There's an article in The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society BulletinNo. 124 (APRIL 1971) .

#7 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 07 August 2023 - 09:32 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 06 August 2023 - 07:29 PM, said:

The canted cylinders enjoyed a short-lived vogue for a time. They were designed that way solely for the ease of maintenance of the valves, even on outside connected engines. The PRR had a few like that up to the '70's or so.

Hey, have you seen one like this? The West Coast had a few interesting engines in the '50's and '60's, too, although few and far between.

Attachment Sacremento Valley RR Pioneer.jpg
From California State RR Museum.

One of the "Nice to Build" engines on my list is an American inside-connected "Bury" boiler American. Or a Ten-Wheeler. They had a certain elegance to them, I think.

Attachment 49435413_2194635257255936_6032637985093058560_o.jpg

I appreciate what you're doing, Frank. I'm doing much the same thing right now, re-inventing the Rogers "Lt.Genl. Grant" into the "Thomas Dodamead", an 1856 (i think) Uriah Wells 4-4-0 with 66" drivers. Mr. Wells built locomotives and rolling stock for the rail roads serving Petersburg before and during the war. There's an article in The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society BulletinNo. 124 (APRIL 1971) .

Thanks Tim, for the info and encouragement

A few tweaks on Sam Muse

Attached Image: SFCAN095.jpg

I'm thinking about the Bury boiler, but on a switcher, something like the John Bull later in it's service

Attached Image: John_Bull_as_it_appeared_in_1877.jpg

#8 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:46 PM

I revised the cab on SAM MUSE to look more like the GENERAL GRANT. I got an impression that the large "portholes" on the front might have been doors, so I went with that.

Attached Image: SFCAN096.jpg

Next I'll add a little decorative artwork to the cab and the tender

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users