Elvas Tower: Does OR behaviour on existing content change too often? - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does OR behaviour on existing content change too often? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 July 2023 - 07:53 AM

I draw your attention to this https://www.trainsim...-to-msts-or-not thread in Trainsim, and think this issue is interesting to discuss also here.

#2 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:01 AM

Now when it comes to MSTS and Open Rails yes Open Rails has full advantage over MSTS but still has a ways to go in some areas! That being said I think it would be devastating for Open Rails to completely go away from MSTS file formats. 

So many creators have spent months if not years creating MSTS/Open Rails content for all of us to enjoy and if we were to completely go away from MSTS file formats we would have to start all over with new content that many of us either do not want to create again or do not want to mess with re creating stuff that has already been available to all of us.  Along with many who are no longer with us or have created magnificent models that have gone away from MSTS/Open Rails.

Remember the old saying if it ant broke don't fix it!  That is MSTS to Open Rails.  Yes we may be using old file formats that are over 20 years old but they still work just fine for what many of us want and need.  Sure Open Rails is not as advanced in some aspect of the rail simulator world as others like graphics, lighting and a few other parts but it has the edge when it comes to physics and that is why I stick with Open Rails VS other rail simulators.

If you do not like the way Open Rails is going by all means go to another railroad simulator that suits your needs.  There are many of them out there.

Just my two cense in this whole thread and hope the Open Rails team along with others understand where I am coming from!

Brandon

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:09 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 22 July 2023 - 07:53 AM, said:

I draw your attention to this https://www.trainsim...-to-msts-or-not thread in Trainsim, and think this issue is interesting to discuss also here.

Thanks, Carlo.

I've added an initial post there to report our official view as set out on the Open Rails website:

Attached Image: 2023-07-22 19_05_25-MS Excel with extensions - Squared1.jpg
I hope we can explore any issues and resolve any misunderstandings.

#4 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:18 AM

Thank you Chris!! Many of us have worked years on our projects and not willing to start all over from scratch on them. I am happy to see that the Open Rails team sees it the same way and will continue to support MSTS files and formats!

Brandon

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:57 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 22 July 2023 - 07:53 AM, said:

Nope, not interested. Especially in the public forum realm that lacks the discipline to take on a reasonable and focused discussion. Look how the topic followed the usual path of dengeneration from the original posting concerning route building.

After all these years of route building I'm thinking it's time to stop worrying about making routes that work in both MSTS and OR.

#6 User is online   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 22 July 2023 - 12:12 PM

Right now, at this point in time, the version of ORMG I'm using, 141.2, does everything I could hope for.
There's a lot of work currently being put into opening and closing windows, modern braking and control and other improvements and that's great but I'll never notice it.
I'm sure there are improvements on the way that will make the experience better but even if OpenRails veers off in a direction that's not compatible with my simming needs or wants I'll always have 141.2.

Thanks Carlo,
Randy

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2023 - 01:43 PM

Randy, my general feeling also. ( I am sort of stuck at MGv138 -- by choice for right now---will eventually move on ). I do like the path of periodically releasing a very stable version...that incorporates changes --- that's sensible.

Is it possible to produce a train simulator that will accurately reproduce the real world in all situations? Do the current versions of flight simulators do that?When is OR good enough...is there an end point?

#8 User is offline   Uncle E 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 22 July 2023 - 01:55 PM

I'm in complete agreement with Randy's comments above. I've run a handful of activities using revision 143.2 and can't see any reason to download any further revisions. Whether intentionally added or not, I've noticed small improvements to train handling features that complete my wish list. I'm not saying no more revisions are needed; other folks may have valid reasons to request changes to match their understanding of real world railroading. But this North American simmer is fully satisfied with 143.2; it's a keeper! Hats off to you Carlo!

Uncle E

#9 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:01 AM

Right On Randy !
I download and save the older versions of ORTS and ORMG . If a newer version of ORTS had some " new additions " that I didn't feel I needed then I backed down to a more agreeable version . For ORMG I haven't found anything that I don't like so I happily chug along with it .

Thanx Again Carlo - You're efforts are constantly Excellent . Much Appreciated !
Just my thoughts !
Rod

#10 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 23 July 2023 - 11:11 AM

I have two versions of OR, the latest stable and an unstable. I only update the unstable when there's a feature or bugfix added that I know I'm interested in.
For me the big wish is seeing OR have accurate water level simulation, and a decent AI fireman. These two items is where MSTS is still ahead.

I'm glad the legacy MSTS content will remain compatible, as despite what is considered crude by modern standards, they're memories of past and present friends - some of which are no longer with us. Discarding all that means discarding the memories of those people as well, and that's paying them a huge disservice and disrespect.

And I'll take oppertunity to speak for myself and anyone sharing my position, that Open Rails was adopted by us in the hope we could enjoy it even past the "death" of MSTS when no operating system supports it anymore. If we lose that, we lose everything.

BTW, who works on TSRE nowadays? Is Goku still with us? I hope it keeps up with the development of OR and its advancing features.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users