Elvas Tower: Track Monitor Only Displays Grey Signal Indications - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Monitor Only Displays Grey Signal Indications Any Route any OR Version Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:16 AM

For the last couple of months Open Rails Track Monitor on my PC has only shown Grey signal indications in all of my ORTS routes (about 45 mini installs) in all 2 versions Used

currently installed versions are:

Open Rails Stable V 1.5.1
Open Rails Testing V T1.5.1-485-g7772f5814

it was also showing on the previous Stable 1.4 version and the last 2 months or so testing versions which is when i first started noticing it, but did nothing as i hoped one of the updates would correct it
the graphic for the indications i am guessing is SignalAspects.png in the content folder which is ok and has all the aspects showing when viewed in infranview including the grey one at the bottom right

the signals in the routes all show up correctly as the pic below shows along with the errant track monitor

Attached Image: ORTS_Signal_Prob.jpg

I am guessing its not a widespread problem as no one else seems to be reporting it,but it has affected every route and every ORTS Version inc an old MG version i was using (now deleted) so it seems as it is and has affected many versions that it must be related to my PC which is up to date with all MS updates other than a Nvidia Graphics driver that i keep being offered and cannot download my card is listed in the log below

log attached below

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (12.25K)
Number of downloads: 78

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:31 AM

>Warning: Access to the path 'H:\Open Rails Willamette Pass\ROUTES\Willamette Pass\Willamette Pass.tdb' is denied.
Cannot get MD5 check of TDB file, use NA instead but server may not connect you.

There is something wrong here, not seen this error before.

Delete the route and reinstall it.

#3 User is offline   avatrain1 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS and OR

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:38 AM

To restore the signals in the track-monitor it is necessary to use the combination of the Shift + F4 keys

Greetings.

#4 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2023 - 07:32 AM

Hi, Bernard.
Glad, You've fired-up ORTS again.
About two years ago Ryan have introduced an option for track monitor - to show signal positions only - for player to use cab signal aspect display, what is more prototypic.
As reputable Avatrain1 advices, switching between track monitor modes of displaying signals (positions only/position+aspect)occurs by Shift-F4 keystroke.
That's the reason, why too few players report this "bug": I can remember only 1-2 cases during all these years.

#5 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the help Avatrain1 & Weter that sorted it, as for the warning

>Warning: Access to the path 'H:\Open Rails Willamette Pass\ROUTES\Willamette Pass\Willamette Pass.tdb' is denied.
Cannot get MD5 check of TDB file, use NA instead but server may not connect you.

the route still works fine but all it takes to cure it is to go to the relevent route folder and untik the read only box for the whole folder and save and after doing that error message does not appear any more

windows messes around with the properties and does that when i rename a mini route folder or move from another drive and doing the above cures it

#6 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 03 July 2023 - 02:52 PM

That's curious, will always happen if copying from a dvd as all files on a dvd are read only.

#7 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:00 AM

The problem with the Track Monitor Only Displays Grey Signal is also in Open Rails NewYear MG (142.1). In both Open Rails 1.5.1 and NewYear, if you press the Shift+F4 once, it corrects the problem as Weter said and it will stay that way. However, if you press Shift+F4 again anytime after you have it fix it will revert back to the grey signals. Pressing Shift+F4 will again fix the problem. So it sounds like a quick fix by the Open Rails group would be to have the Shift+F4 (Show signals) as the default instead of the hide signals as the default.

The only reason I'm posting is that I just noticed the problem and did a few things to try fix it, like unstall and then do a clean install, update graphic driver and so on. When this failed, I thought ok let see if anyone else is having the same issue and found this before I made myself look like an idiot by posting it as a new topic.

Phil

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:53 AM

I'm curious as to why people are seeing grey signals. The original thread about this feature was about removing the signal indications from the track monitor so the player could only see the track signals appearing in the route.
For me --- Using the shift+4 option always removes the signals from the track monitor or displays colored signals, never grey signals??...I am only using ORNYMG.

#9 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2023 - 08:40 PM

Hello, there.
1. This option (NOT a BUG/ISSUE/PROBLEM, which would need some fix) was introduced by Ryan Young.
The reason was making track monitor more "old fashioned", when player wants:
Locomotives, before being computerized, had no track monitor (and some of 1990-th built still haven't), but only cab signal aspect display, plus engine crew had actual chart on paper, describing current "warnings" I.e. speed limits, etc. applied for the route, they run. Even top-grade ACELA / Eurostar didn't, though, they were HST!
So, shift+F4 is control of track monitor's alternative appearance, but not a quick fix.
I usual prefer to hide it totally, running activities/timetable on more or less familiar route, watching only speed meter's needle and cab aspect display, (which will declutter cab view too, by the way), but it's harder to remember every speed limits and their precise locations, especially, when train runs on great speeds.
In such situations, the meaning of limit and it's CURRENT location, relative train's head - more exactly, the current distance to the reduced speed zone's beginning - is essential, for planning deceleration. Plus, ORTS cancels speed reduction only, when very last car of the train have left reduced speed zone (which is hard to do, with no assistance, when not using external cameras.
Track monitor also shows scheduled platform's location and relative length, as well as other consists on Your route, and "quality" of speed.

This way, it might be necessary sometimes to see this monitor.
AND, for more "fair play", it does show SIGNALS LOCATIONS, as a grey balls, but not their aspects, if player wants. So again, this is flexibility option, for better accommodation to player's needs.

I don't know, is it so with NYMG version, as I use testing versions almost always. The reason - ongoing work on translation.

#10 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2023 - 04:39 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 08 September 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm curious as to why people are seeing grey signals. The original thread about this feature was about removing the signal indications from the track monitor so the player could only see the track signals appearing in the route.
For me --- Using the shift+4 option always removes the signals from the track monitor or displays colored signals, never grey signals??...I am only using ORNYMG.

That is most curious indeed. I have always seen them grey in any PC I have installed Open Rails. I always used it in that mode, and never have I seen them removed. Oh, and I almsot always use Carlos's ORNYMG.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users