• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low Superheat? Does not change with throttle settings Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 June 2023 - 10:28 PM

Hi. I noticed in the recent unstable versions, when running superheated steam locomotives, the "Current Superheat" value on the Extended HUD is suspiciously low (less than 100 degrees). Additionally, the "current superheat" value does not change with opening or closing the throttle like it did in previous unstable versions--it always stays at the same low value regardless if the throttle is at 0% or 100%.

[attachment=124826:lowsuphtchal.jpg]
Here is my Challenger test model to demonstrate this. Notice that even though the throttle is clearly at 81%, and the maximum obtainable degree of superheat is 366°F, the "current superheat" value is at 38°F. Given the "water" temperature of 409°F, then that means the total temperature of the steam is only 407°F + 38°F = 445°F--not a big improvement IMO. The "current superheat" value stays at 38°F regardless if the throttle is at 0% or 100%. (NOTE: Incidentally, on latter-day steam engines that have front-end throttles like this, the "current superheat" value should stay locked at the "maximum superheat" value since the superheater system is generally filled with steam at all times.)

I performed the same test with the CTN V2, and the same thing happened--the "current superheat" value is not only very low (62°F in this case), but stays locked at that value for the duration of the gameplay session, regardless of how wide open the throttle is.
[attachment=124827:lowsuphtv2.jpg]

P. S.: I see Peter's (steamer_ctn) provisions to specify multiple engines on a single locomotive (as evidewnced by the "Eng # 1" label in the steam usage section), but so far, the new *.eng parameters have not yet been documented. I'm anxious to try these on my Challenger!

#2 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 June 2023 - 10:34 PM

View PostTraindude, on 28 June 2023 - 10:28 PM, said:

I noticed in the recent unstable versions, when running superheated steam locomotives, the "Current Superheat" value on the Extended HUD is suspiciously low (less than 100 degrees). Additionally, the "current superheat" value does not change with opening or closing the throttle like it did in previous unstable versions--it always stays at the same low value regardless if the throttle is at 0% or 100%.
Can you test with some CTN stock and see if you get the same result.

Using CTN stock will make it easier for me to find the issue if you confirm that there is a problem with it. I have run a quick test using one of the CTN locomotives, and it appears to be working ok.

View PostTraindude, on 28 June 2023 - 10:28 PM, said:

P. S.: I see Peter's (steamer_ctn) provisions to specify multiple engines on a single locomotive (as evidewnced by the "Eng # 1" label in the steam usage section), but so far, the new *.eng parameters have not yet been documented. I'm anxious to try these on my Challenger!

Yes I have released the first pass of adding multiple steam engines to a locomotive - see here for more details.

#3 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:09 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 29 June 2023 - 10:34 PM, said:

Can you test with some CTN stock and see if you get the same result.

Using CTN stock will make it easier for me to find the issue if you confirm that there is a problem with it. I have run a quick test using one of the CTN locomotives, and it appears to be working ok.

I already did a test using the CTN V2, as can be seen in the screenshot above.

I've now done tests with several of the other superheated CTN steam engines and these prove this problem affects every single one of them:

NYC Niagara:
[attachment=124836:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-25-02.jpg]

Duke of Gloucester:
[attachment=124837:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-33-22.jpg]

Modified Hall:
[attachment=124838:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-40-43.jpg]

BR Thompson B1:
While Stationary:
[attachment=124839:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-42-48.jpg]
While Under Power:
[attachment=124840:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-46-17.jpg]

PRR Decapod:
[attachment=124841:Open Rails 2023-06-30 12-54-53.jpg]

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:23 AM

View PostTraindude, on 30 June 2023 - 12:09 AM, said:

I already did a test using the CTN V2, as can be seen in the screenshot above.

I've now done tests with several of the other superheated CTN steam engines and these prove this problem affects every single one of them:
Ok, thanks for that.

I will have a look at it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users