• You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion: Sound modifiers For trains, routes, etc Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:48 AM

View PostJonatan, on 10 August 2023 - 05:28 AM, said:

Seems like you answered your own question. ;)

But yes, I'm glad I'm not alone in having these ideas, perhaps its time it was given a closer gander!

Oh dear. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blush2.gif I must be growing older waiting for all the good things to happen.

#12 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:39 AM

View PostJonatan, on 10 August 2023 - 04:44 AM, said:

Bumping this for discussion, with focus on the route-specific sounds as I feel it's a much neglected field, with little to no upgrades since MSTS.

Example for new sms triggers and how they could be used?
			Stream (
				Priority ( 2 )
				Volume ( 1.0 )
				Triggers ( 1
					Initial_Trigger
                                        ( ORTSTimeOfDay ( 05:00 19:00 ) <- Sound plays between these hours
                                        ( ORTSSeason ( Spring Summer Autumn ) <- Sound plays during these seasons
                                        ( ORTSWeather ( Clear ) <- Sound plays during this weather
						StartLoop ( 1
							File ( "gen_nat5.wav" -1 )
							SelectionMethod ( RandomSelection )
						)
					)
				)
			)

Perhaps also an ORTSVisibility ( x ) trigger for when conditions are foggy?

I'm assuming that if any of the above modifiers are omitted then the sound would play at all times, all seasons and all weather conditions? I agree that we need TimeOfDay to silence traffic noise during night-owl hours (1 and 5 AM)!

Something else I just thought of were sound triggers related to radio chatter streams on locomotive cabview *.sms files so equipped--we could have the radio chatter vary based on the route the locomotive is being operated! Well, I'm not sure how that'd work out, but it's the thought that counts, right?

In regard to the route department, something I'd like to see is a mix of jointed and welded rail sounds in the same route--for example, welded rail sounds when the train passes over grade crossings (particularly longer ones) and jointed rail sounds at all other times. (Also see my earlier post about making track joint and switch/junction sounds location- and axle count- and spacing- based.)

#13 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:41 AM

Yes. My reasoning is if something is omitted, OR does the default dance as is currently the norm with most parameters.

View Postdarwins, on 10 August 2023 - 06:48 AM, said:

Oh dear. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blush2.gif I must be growing older waiting for all the good things to happen.

Don't worry, you're not alone. My gray hairs are already showing. ;)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users