• You cannot reply to this topic

Speed Difference Track Monitor vs Train Driving Info Windows Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:54 PM

Is this a bug that's been addressed? Have been neligent keeping up with bugs and fixes...using an old version of MG ( 138 ) for continuity of testing and noticed this. Nothing in log.
Train Driving Window is 19.5 and Track Monitor is 16.5

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SpeedDiff.JPG

#2 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:23 PM

It seems like the track monitor is using the average speed of all the train cars while the train driving info window uses the locomotive speed specifically. Those two really should normally be the same unless coupler slack is changing or advanced couplers are being used (advanced couplers seem to cause a bunch of trouble every time I use them, and this is just one symptom of that). It's more of a physics bug than a UI bug that the train average speed is so different than the locomotive speed-if this were really the case some very violent slack action would be happening and the average speed would approach the locomotive speed in seconds.

Of course, using the locomotive speed is a lot more intuitive for the player, but the inconsistency is itself particularly annoying and this doesn't seem to be the only bit of inconsistency. I regularly notice how the train driving hud will round numbers differently than the debug hud, and I can only assume there are other differences hiding in the shadows code.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 June 2023 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, very helpful. The observation about the advanced OR coupler is spot on, everything in this consist is using them. I notice some quirky behaviors in the force HUD when locomotives are flipped, that I never observed with the MSTS style coupler. Nothing too serious, it will eventually get sorted out. Certainly not a show stopper by any means.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users