• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Request for new OpenRails.org download routes Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 May 2023 - 04:27 AM

That's a great question, Paul. My standard as a route Builder is that for a route to be called 'OR only' has been routes that exceed 2,500 to 3,000 objects per tile, or have highly complex and detailed scenery objects that would implode MSTS's game engine.

Chris, as much as I would like to see TrainSim be the main site everybody goes to for content, the fact is many don't for their own various reasons, some holding on to grudges over events that happened 5 or 10 years ago. It's something as owner that I would like to see change.

Listing the routes on the OpenRails website certainly doesn't hurt.

Getting back to the original concept, I would think that any route which includes the track system should be okay. And there are routes which do include Scalerail or XTracks along with it. The initial objective seems a bit too restrictive.

Perhaps it would be beneficial if the ORMT were to approach Okrasa about including XTracks with the installer. That would also give an opportunity to install a separate content directory with all of the required subfolders.

With Scalerail now less restricted for distribution, those of us who use it might be able to do the same if we can get permission, something I'm willing to pursue.

#12 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:12 AM

Still... good luck with the endeavor.

Thanks, but they already did it in 2006. One of the pictures shows a piece of the TSection.dat file. The difference is clearly visible. " TrackSection ( 1012 ") is the last occupied row.
Some pictures from this track system. You can see that it is not the low hat form of MSTS. It's like my childhood toy train.

https://kephost.net/p/OTI0MTAw.png

https://kephost.net/p/OTI0MTAx.png

https://kephost.net/p/OTI0MTAz.png

The last picture shows a similar design of a railway switch used in Hungary. The indicator of the railway switch and the adjusting weight are animated. The railway switch indicator lights up in the dark. The rail fiber is made based on the dimensions of the 48.5 kg UIC rail. This is not a hat profile either.

https://kephost.net/p/OTI0MTAy.png

#13 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 May 2023 - 10:45 AM

I know it's possible to build your own track system and deliver it. I've got track pieces in the master TSection and still build what I need as it's needed, and fully agree that the 3D ballast is visually necessary vs the 'top hat' that Kuju created.

What I'm saying is that's an extra hurdle that few route builders want to take.

I asked and received permission to deploy the 3DTrains ScaleRail shapes with my routes, which is a much easier approach than saying 'go build your own'.

#14 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2023 - 03:07 AM

View PostHendrik, on 16 May 2023 - 08:11 AM, said:

Hi Aldarion, can the Portugal route be installed stand-alone, without the need to have MSTS installed or further add-ons like X-tracks, etc.?

I've not been in touch with Aldarion over this, but I have cloned the repository and started the two routes. Yes, they are stand-alone and the zip file is at https://github.com/c.../heads/main.zip

I'm in favour of using repositories where they are available as that makes it easy to fetch an update, but this webpage is for "easy-install content", so a Zip would be simpler for newcomers.

#15 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2023 - 03:35 AM

Hi, Chris.
May I know, which TWO routes were mentioned?

#16 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 11 June 2023 - 12:20 AM

View Posteolesen, on 20 May 2023 - 04:27 AM, said:

Perhaps it would be beneficial if the ORMT were to approach Okrasa about including XTracks with the installer. That would also give an opportunity to install a separate content directory with all of the required subfolders.

I'm not sure that is the way we would want to go.

With Xtracks already available as a Zip from their website and Scalerail being available as a Zip from Elvas Tower, it might be neater if Open Rails was coded to detect the need for either of them and then offer to download and unpack it to the right location. This would avoid bulking out and complicating the Open Rails installer and would also help us fit in with the upcoming Virtual File System.

If this operation would overwrite or hide existing files, then this should be made clear to the user beforehand.

What do you think?

#17 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2023 - 01:04 AM

Right approach: once authors would develop their track systems further - the "one link only" would help to get most recent version "by one click", instead of caring for watching changes and updating ORTS assets pack constantly.

#18 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:57 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 11 June 2023 - 12:20 AM, said:

With Xtracks already available as a Zip from their website and Scalerail being available as a Zip from Elvas Tower, it might be neater if Open Rails was coded to detect the need for either of them and then offer to download and unpack it to the right location. This would avoid bulking out and complicating the Open Rails installer and would also help us fit in with the upcoming Virtual File System.

I've created a Blueprint for this work.

#19 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2023 - 01:39 PM

I would hope this would help some first time users to install Open Rails with all the assets it needed to run a route...good idea.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users