• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1907 Cumbres Turn A Look At Some Great New Models Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

OK, the 60 Class 2-8-0's from the "Oughts" are finally completed and in the library, as are the Turn of the Century brand new 3000 Class boxcars. Four-board high side gons are about to appear in the file libraries and the short caboose has been with us for a while. I decided it was time to showcase all of this fine equipment - some of which has been modified by ol' "Can't leave nothin' alone" me. What better way than a Cumbres Turn on the old D&RG?

We've just left the yard limits at Chama with an eight car train of loaded freight cars - two boxcars of concentrates, three gondolas of coal and three gons full of cut lumber. Our road engine today is venerable old Grant 60 Class number 226. On the head end we have Baldwin 70 Class number 409 and pushing on the rear of caboose 0580 is Baldwin 60 Class number 274. The black painted and sooty jacket of the 226 contrasts with the bright Russia Iron jackets of the two Baldwins. Who says they all look alike!?!

Attached Image: 01.jpg

Attached Image: 02.jpg

Attached Image: 03.jpg

Attached Image: 04.jpg

Now we find the train in the narrows between Chama and Lobato. The grade is in full force now and they're working hard!

Attached Image: 05.jpg

Attached Image: 06.jpg

Attached Image: 07.jpg

Attached Image: 08.jpg

409 and her sisters heel into the S-curves at Lobato and head for the steel trestle.

Attached Image: 09.jpg

Attached Image: 10.jpg

Attached Image: 11.jpg

#2 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

In a shot reminiscent of the work of the late Fred Jukes, 409 and 226 head out across the Lobato Trestle.

Attached Image: 12.jpg

Looks better this way!

Attached Image: 11a.jpg

Off the trestle and around the big loop above Lobato.

Attached Image: 13.jpg

Attached Image: 14.jpg

At Dalton the three engines are working hard against the 4% grade and the constant S-curves.

Attached Image: 15.jpg

Attached Image: 16.jpg

Attached Image: 17.jpg

Attached Image: 18.jpg

OK, time to showcase some of this equipment. Here are 70 Class 2-8-0 number 409 and Grant 60 Class 2-8-0 number 226. These are my personally repainted versions of Barry (Captain Bazza) Munro's wonderful 60 Class 268. The 409 is, of course, not 100% accurate as it should have a slightly larger and longer boiler and different driver spacing but I've put her on steroids and the physics have been bumped up to 70 Class pulling power. I can't take credit for the actual paint textures as they were early experiments by Bazza on his beta releases and I think they still look great!

Attached Image: 20.jpg

These beautiful boxcars with all the attendant hardware of the original 1903 3000 Class are the work of Tom (Sandy River Tom) Werb and they are fantastic to behold! Again, a little repaint and runumber by yours truly. Can't keep my hands off this stuff and I hate running more than one copy of road numbers!

Attached Image: 21.jpg

These 1000 series 4-board gons are courtesy of Bill Pratt and will be gracing the file library soon. The coal loads were stolen...er, borrowed from Tom!

Attached Image: 22.jpg

1000 series cars were also used to haul lumber as seen here with some more of Bill's cars. Hey Andre, do you recognize those loads? Sto..borrowed from St.L&NA cars, shrunk and placed!

Attached Image: 23.jpg

What can I say about the "Bazzaboose?" A fantastic little short waycar that lends itself to so many different numbers that I lose track. One of the earliest offerings in this latest round of awesome narrow gauge equipment but still just wonderful.

Attached Image: 24.jpg

Bringing up the rear is another Bazza baby, D&RG 274.

Attached Image: 19.jpg

A couple more closeups of the head end power.

Attached Image: 25.jpg

Attached Image: 27.jpg

A great big hearty :( to all the guys who have made this wonderful modeling possible!

#3 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

I'll add a round of applause for Howard Saunders :victory:

His work on the physics settings for these models yields realistic performance
and tonnage ratings on the Colorado grades.

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Post icon  Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

Here, here, I second the motion. Howard's done a wonderful job on the physics - it makes modelling the prototype worthwhile. :victory:

Thanks for sharing the screenshots, Herb! :diablo:

Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

Wonderful series of photos, Herb, especially the shots at Dalton. Very nice exposition of works of the likes of Barry, Tom, Bill, Harold and yourself. (I can't stand to have repeats of road numbers either!). Well done guys and thanks!
:victory:

#6 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Tim! Yes, that Dalton series came out quite well with the Wolf Creek Valley in the background. The way the lead engines' and the helper engine's exhausts were going in different directions as they came out of the S-curves really caught my eye.

It is so incredibly wonderful to be able to recreate these scenes from the early 1900's but in living and moving color. I do love the sim! :victory:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users