Elvas Tower: Interesting Amtrak Brake Valve Setup - How can I replicate this? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Amtrak Brake Valve Setup - How can I replicate this? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:25 PM

So, I have some Amtrak locomotives which I know from reference material have a peculiar brake valve setup. Unlike standard 26 brakes where the suppression notch occurs after full service, modern Amtrak equipment places suppression in the middle between minimum reduction and full service (suppression is only a 15-19 psi [nominally 17 psi] brake pipe reduction, rather than the full 26 psi reduction). This is handy for passenger equipment as it allows suppression without applying the brakes so hard that you come to a stop.

https://i.imgur.com/xeiZ6M9.png

The thing is, I am unsure if this can be replicated in OpenRails. Unfortunately, if I try to set up a brake controller like this:
		Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.025 0.15
			NumNotches ( 5
				Notch ( 0   	0	TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
				Notch ( 0.1	0	TrainBrakesControllerMinimalReductionStart )
				Notch ( 0.15	1	TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapLimitedStart )
				Notch ( 0.5	1	TrainBrakesControllerSuppressionStart )
				Notch ( 0.8	0	TrainBrakesControllerFullServiceStart )
				Notch ( 0.95	0	TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
				Notch ( 1   	0	TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )
			)
		) 

Then when applying the brakes, I reach 100% service and a full 26 psi reduction before the suppression notch even begins. Then applying 0%-100% suppression has no effect on the brake pipe at all. I would like to have it set up such that the end of the 'GraduatedSelfLapLimited' notch gives a 17 psi brake pipe reduction, then going through the Suppression notch would allow for a graduated 17-26 psi reduction. I'm feeling like reaching the end of a GraduatedSelfLap notch will always provide that 26 psi reduction, no matter how I set up that notch, which means I may have to live with acting like these Amtrak locomotives have standard 26 brakes.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users