Elvas Tower: Flipped locomotives produce less power than expected when player train begins at speed - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flipped locomotives produce less power than expected when player train begins at speed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sim-al2 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

Hello again,

Apologies for an oddly specific bug but I spent some time loosing hair before finding a common cause. It appears that when the player train starts an activity at above zero speed, flipped trailing locomotives will produce less power than expected, by about 5% or so. To be clear, these are identical locomotives with effectively identical engine files (only the shape file and name is different) so I'd really expect F5 HUD numbers to be within 1% or less, not out by 5% or more in some cases.

While trying to find a cause, I experimented with friction values but I do not believe this to be part of the problem, as even modified zero friction locomotives still exhibit this behavior so I believe it's in the traction code.

I can now reproduce this bug with any activity that starts the player train moving in U2023.04.19-1836, for those that have it the "Summer Maintenance" activity for the Train Simulations Ruel Sub route has the player train moving at start though there's plenty of other activities that do so, including several for the default Marias Pass though you will need to modify the player consist.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR_Flipped_TE_bug_1.jpg

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

Hello in turn.
Since MSTS times, I notice this odd behavior: forward movement of the player locomotive produces expected dynamic appearance (acceleration, max speed), - according to *.eng-file's settings, while once You put revercer to backward - the acceleration turns much more rapid. It seems, ORTS does almost the same.

#3 User is offline   sim-al2 

• Hostler

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:29 PM

Never seen such behavior in OR, I think you may need to look at your rolling stock's physics.

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:42 PM

Sorry, I might misunderstood You, but IMO, just the same type of locomotive model, placed in consist just flipped (so moving in reverse direction, while the train goes forward), is exactly that case, if it apparently produces significantly more power, than its *.eng-file specifies.
Maybe, You are right, and that's about unrealistic adhesion or tractive effort, when the movement is reversed.
Add:
Oh, sorry: You actually have meant "LESS POWER" I have neglected that.
But the similarity of our observations, however, is that reversed direction causes unprototipic behavior of tractive units, so, it could be related somehow.

#5 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:54 PM

Hi,
Is this something that started happening recently (this April), or is an old issue?

#6 User is offline   sim-al2 

• Hostler

Posted 22 April 2023 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

Looks like an old issue as I can get similar behavior out of versions as old as U2019.07.25-2201.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 April 2023 - 08:50 AM

Thanks,
I uploaded a quick fix (available in latest Unstable release), but I'm not very convinced that your specific bug will be solved by that. I'll try to replicate the issue to see what's happening.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users