Elvas Tower: Proposal for New Lighting Conditions - Elvas Tower

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for New Lighting Conditions Brakes, Doors, Reverser, Etc. Rate Topic: -----

Poll: New Lighting Conditions (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the new lighting conditions are worth implementing in ORTS?

1. Brake ( x ) (11 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Reverser ( x ) (13 votes [29.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

3. Doors ( x ) (13 votes [29.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

4. Other (mention below) (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:28 PM

thanks for confirmation
as always - default UoMs don't need to be mentioned

#42 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:01 PM

Are these new light conditions in the current unstable version yet?

#43 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:45 PM

Hello

Shift+K reversing lights: at both ends, with a beam of light. There is one light at the left front and right rear of the vehicle according to the pivot point, with an illuminated area at the front and rear. Like when the right dipped beam went out.
1+H position indicator lights: Two lights at the front of the vehicle without an illuminated surface.
2+H low beam: three lights at the front of the vehicle and the surface they illuminate
3+H reflector lights: Three lights at the front of the vehicle and the illuminated area.
I'm not sure, but I think it's an EU recommendation.
It would be good to supplement the current switching positions in some way. I know the free combinations have been sold out for a long time.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#44 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 13 February 2024 - 01:28 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 12 February 2024 - 11:45 PM, said:

Hello

Shift+K reversing lights: at both ends, with a beam of light. There is one light at the left front and right rear of the vehicle according to the pivot point, with an illuminated area at the front and rear. Like when the right dipped beam went out.
1+H position indicator lights: Two lights at the front of the vehicle without an illuminated surface.
2+H low beam: three lights at the front of the vehicle and the surface they illuminate
3+H reflector lights: Three lights at the front of the vehicle and the illuminated area.
I'm not sure, but I think it's an EU recommendation.
It would be good to supplement the current switching positions in some way. I know the free combinations have been sold out for a long time.

Sincerely, Laci1959

Not useful for us steam guys--SHIFT+K is already used to control one of the injector water valves.

#45 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:39 AM

View PostTraindude, on 12 February 2024 - 08:01 PM, said:

Are these new light conditions in the current unstable version yet?

Been on unstable for 3 days now.

#46 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:34 PM

Not useful for us steam guys--SHIFT+K is already used to control one of the injector water valves.

Hello.

I took it as an example from another OR version.
But what is the reason for the sharp border on the keyboard? I thought that the Type line in the eng file defines the vehicle type. If it's NOT Steam, there would be two free combinations. Of course, if there is a diesel-steam (steam-diesel) locomotive (similar to the Last Mile locomotive), then of course this idea cannot be used.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#47 User is offline   SYogurt 

• Fireman

Posted 15 February 2024 - 08:34 AM

As far as key combinations are concerned, should things be configured so that

H
Alt + H
Control + H

Could all control light related functions?

It's also the case in flight sims that there are MANY more controls than there are keys, on the assumption that joysticks, button boxes, and other controllers will be used, thus leaving the keybinds generally up to the user to configure.

These new lighting conditions are fantastic, and very much help solve the automated lighting functions on many pieces of rolling stock. But it would be nice down the line to be able to have auxiliary lights that are separate from the Headlight control functions. I'm stoked for what we got recently though in Unstable, it pretty much solves all of the shortcuts I had to take on the locomotives I use.

#48 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:58 AM

Alt is convented for debugging functions in ORTS, IIRC

#49 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:37 PM

One last new feature for this time around: Lights can now be attached to shape file objects other than the main body of the locomotive/wagon.

Add the ShapeHierarchy token to a Light block to decide which object in the hierarchy the light should attach to. Use the name of the object as it appears in a program such as Shape Viewer; ShapeHierarchy ( "BOGIE1" ) would attach the light to the front bogie, assuming it exists. Any object in the shape file can be used, so you can make a light that spins with the wheels, valve gear, radiator fans...whatever objects the vehicle has. Here's what an example looks like:

Light	(
		comment( CNDR Side Front Truck Light )
		ShapeHierarchy ( "BOGIE1" )
		States	(	1
			State	(
				LightColour ( 91fedf91 )
				Position ( -1.427 0.583 -0.330 )
				Azimuth ( -90 -90 -90 )
				Radius ( 0.2 )
			)
		)
	)

If a light has no ShapeHierarchy defined, the light will do what it has always done and attach to the main body. If the hierarchy name specified is wrong, a warning will appear in the log file and the light will attach to the main body.

It is worth noting that the Position of a light is measured relative to the origin of whatever object it is attached to. The origin of BOGIE1 probably is not the same as the origin of the vehicle itself, so keep in mind that you'll have to adjust positions to get this to work. Also it works just fine with light cones! You can make headlights that shine where a bogie is pointing if you like (if you attach the light cone to a wheel or other rotating object, the resulting effect is quite humorous, but not useful).

#50 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:54 PM

View PostLaci1959, on 14 February 2024 - 11:34 PM, said:

But what is the reason for the sharp border on the keyboard?

I usually put all key commands, parameter names and file formats in bold-face text (example: SHIFT+K, *.eng, ORTSMainResChargingRate, etc.) to draw attention to them, so that they're easy to spot, and thus difficult to miss.

My apologies if you took it the wrong way.

Anywhoo, there's something I noticed in regard to "sphere" ore "cone" lights--it seems that the emitters want to shift their Z-position (longitudinally) as the locomotive picks up speed. Here is what I mean:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2024-02-21 10-40-06.jpg

See that little blue dot below the main headlight? That's the light sphere, which in this image coming from inside the model and clipping through it, but it will illustrate my point adequately. In this image the train is at a standstill, but watch what happens as the train speed increases:

Here it is at 30 MPH:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2024-02-21 10-43-24.jpg

As you can see, the circle that represents the portion of the light cone that is clipping through the model has gotten larger in diameter, which suggests that the Z-position of the emitter had shifted slightly to the rear as the train accellerated.

Here it is at 60 MPH:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2024-02-21 10-46-08.jpg

The light cone "circle" has gotten even bigger now, suggesting that the cone emitter has shifted even further to the rear!

Hopefully this can be fixed in the future!

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users