Elvas Tower: Proposal for New Lighting Conditions - Elvas Tower

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for New Lighting Conditions Brakes, Doors, Reverser, Etc. Rate Topic: -----

Poll: New Lighting Conditions (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the new lighting conditions are worth implementing in ORTS?

1. Brake ( x ) (11 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Reverser ( x ) (13 votes [29.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

3. Doors ( x ) (13 votes [29.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

4. Other (mention below) (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 12 April 2023 - 08:01 AM

Hello.

I did a setup a few years ago. There are 40 Light entries in it, 17 of which are for AI movements. The arriving train has 3 white lights at the front, then when going round there is only one white light at the front and at the back. When you join the train at the end of the circuit, the three white lights will light up according to the new situation. Reversing lights are weather specific, they were not used during the day long ago.
I made this setup in 2019 and tried it in a timetable race, together with the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage mr Roeter from working, I just wanted to show that with some ingenuity and the right use of rendering commands it is possible to create.
I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Sincerely, Laci1959

https://drive.google...?usp=share_link

#12 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2023 - 05:58 PM

I have added a Trello Card for those who want to vote on its inclusion in ORTS.

#13 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:41 PM

Hello.

Maybe design more button switches.
I know the number of combinations is finite.
The locomotives manufactured in Hungary have the following switches:
1. Right indicator light (the brightness of the indicator light is equivalent to the parking light of cars on the road)
2. Center lamp
3. Left indicator light. ( (the brightness of the signal light is equivalent to the parking light of cars on the road)
4. Light dimming.
These are two-position switches.
5. Red lights when switched up, left and right halogen headlights when switched down.
It has three positions.
I'm not sure, but the M62 Sergej has two light dimming switches next to each other. One for the bottom lights, the other for the top light.
I think the Czech national OR also knows something like this, of course in a way that corresponds to their own national version.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#14 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 April 2023 - 03:12 PM

View PostTraindude, on 11 April 2023 - 10:15 PM, said:

I kinda agree with you, but remember that for those of us who own a RailDriver, the headlight switch has only 3 positions--OFF, DIM and FULL. My idea of using the reverser position as a lighting condition was intended so that when you move the reverser into reverse, the rear headlight (and its associated cone) would turn on and the front headlight (and its associated cone) would automatically turn off.

The problem with that ideology is that it necessarily forces inaccurate operation onto users that don't use a RailDriver (which is especially relevant in a time of 3D cabs and mouse control). It makes much more sense to set up the code to work like it does on an actual locomotive and then add a check box for automatic light reversing in the options. Alternatively, since the RailDriver has programmable keys, the headlight switch can work the front headlight by default and the rear headlight could use either one programmable button (in a 1-2-3-2-1 sequence) or a pair (up/down) to cycle, since the rear headlight would need a key assignment anyway.

In fact the real headlight switches have 4 positions - off, dim, medium, and bright. A RailDriver wouldn't be able to accommodate that either.

#15 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 15 April 2023 - 03:25 PM

Hi Folks,

Yeah - concur - many of us don't use RailDriver - it's no longer for sale - right?

I use this and the beauty is it's fully customizable with sophisticated macros - for ANY application. Spinning high quality knobs - levers - and throwing real switches - reminiscent of real locomotive hardware - - - adds a completely new dimension to TS.

Attached Image: imageproxy.jpg

Regards,
Scott

#16 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 15 April 2023 - 04:09 PM

View Postscottb613, on 15 April 2023 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hi Folks,

Yeah - concur - many of us don't use RailDriver - it's no longer for sale - right?

I use this and the beauty is it's fully customizable with sophisticated macros - for ANY application. Spinning high quality knobs - levers - and throwing real switches - reminiscent of real locomotive hardware - - - adds a completely new dimension to TS.

Attachment imageproxy.jpg

Regards,
Scott

I know Schrader's Railroad catalog (railroad catalog dot com) still has it listed on its website, so I think PI Engineering is still producing them. But yeah, we need an option for other USB controllers (perhaps home-built ones?) to expand the capability. It's just nice to have proper levers for brakes, throttle, reverser, etc.--much more convenient than using a keyboard or mouse!

#17 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 April 2023 - 05:44 PM

View PostTraindude, on 15 April 2023 - 04:09 PM, said:

I know Schrader's Railroad catalog (railroad catalog dot com) still has it listed on its website, so I think PI Engineering is still producing them. But yeah, we need an option for other USB controllers (perhaps home-built ones?) to expand the capability. It's just nice to have proper levers for brakes, throttle, reverser, etc.--much more convenient than using a keyboard or mouse!

I think they still sell it, it's compatible with TS20xx as far as I know. :)

#18 User is online   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:44 PM

At this time i'd like to revisit something that was mentioned over a year ago and I think bears repeating here: Automatic Catenary/Third Rail Arc Lighting and Sound.

Most third-party electric locomotives, EMU's, trolleys, subways, light-rail vehicles and the like, have a catenary or third-rail arc effect coded in their lighting sections. But the problem with that is that it runs at all times, even when the vehicle is stationary, and even when the pole/pantograph/shoe is not contacting the overhead or third rail. (Which reminds me that we may need a condition which allows ORTS to "kill the lights" when the pantograph is lowered!) I downloaded the old NALW NEC set and added a catenary arc sound effect to it, and although it "appears" synchronized to the lighting effect, it gradually drifts out of sync, especially in low-framerate conditions.

Is this something that is worth adding new lighting conditions for (Example: Speed ( x ) OverheadContact ( x ), etc.) or is it something that needs an "FX" section (similar to the smoke, steam and exhaust effects sections we have for steam and diesel power)?

#19 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 15 April 2023 - 10:35 PM

May I add, that appearance itself and the "size" of arc effects depend at first, on current consumption in given moment, second - on the speed of sliding surface, and third - on contact quality (wire/rail condition in given place, contact "ski" or "roller" oscillation with vehicle, carrying it), it occurs if passing gaps with power consumption still taking place, and appears more significant, when it's cold weather outside, as surfaces are covered with ice.

#20 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 April 2023 - 12:07 AM

View PostWeter, on 15 April 2023 - 10:35 PM, said:

May I add, that appearance itself and the "size" of arc effects depend at first, on current consumption in given moment, second - on the speed of sliding surface, and third - on contact quality (wire/rail condition in given place, contact "ski" or "roller" oscillation with vehicle, carrying it), it occurs if passing gaps with power consumption still taking place, and appears more significant, when it's cold weather outside, as surfaces are covered with ice.

Contact quality is seriously downgraded by ice - so it would be good for any such lighting effect to look at the weather!

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users