• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route building question.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:00 PM

I've started to try my hand at route building....again..... In the attached video, it shows the initial portion of the St. Charles Ave Street Car line in New Orleans. the route starts(and eventually ends) at S Carollton Ave and S. Claiborne Ave. heading toward the Mississippi River...Just before reaching the levee for the river, the line does a 90 turn to the left....My question is primarily about the part before the turn....BTW thanks to Tim Muir for his model of the New Orleans Street car. The video is only 5 mins long....things look ok for the first minute then it reaches a switch which will eventually lead to "barn", the street car starts to jog left and right on the track....Is this a Track Database problem or something else.....After it makes the turn, the problem doesn't show up again....(Ignore the track alignment right at the end)...Can anyone tell me what I did wrong???? ...(Besides trying to load a file too big...)

link to video: https://rumble.com/v2bi4o0-nopsi.html

#2 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:09 PM

The video's not showing.

Randy

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:52 PM

Wow, that's just strange! What version of what are you using? I have this same sort of problem with the FJ&G route with the latest two versions of Open Rails and the current version of ORNYMG, but not this bad. At certain points in Fonda trucks twitch and rolling stock pops up and down about half a foot but they all stay centered on the track. It appear your streetcar is shifter about a foot off center.

If you have MSTS you could run this in it and see if it acts the same or not. My guess is it's a glitch in the current versions of Open Rails and nothing to do with the switches or track.

Paul :-)

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:21 PM

View Postcharland, on 02 March 2023 - 12:52 PM, said:

Wow, that's just strange! What version of what are you using? I have this same sort of problem with the FJ&G route with the latest two versions of Open Rails and the current version of ORNYMG, but not this bad. At certain points in Fonda trucks twitch and rolling stock pops up and down about half a foot but they all stay centered on the track. It appear your streetcar is shifter about a foot off center.

If you have MSTS you could run this in it and see if it acts the same or not. My guess is it's a glitch in the current versions of Open Rails and nothing to do with the switches or track.

For Open Rails...this was run on NewYear MG ORNYMG-Rev. 138
For TSRE5 used TSRES4 v0.7001

I don't have a working copy of MSTS on this machine....I'll have to look at one of my old laptops.....

#5 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 02 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

It's simple enough if you still have MSTS it should run. I'm guessing if you do have MSTS it will run without the errors.

Paul :-)

#6 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:21 PM

It might be TSRE induced.

Look at the track database line in the editor, and you might see that they don't line up. I've had this happen countless times. Something in the math isn't working and it creates zigs & zags at track piece intersections. Gave Goku a couple examples of it, but he couldn't ever get it figured out.

What I've done is using the Z key, remove the zagged track from the database and Z it again to zig it back into alignment. As long as there are no more changes to the TDB on that track node (e.g. between junctions or x-overs) it should remain stable.

#7 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:37 PM

Confirm: there might be observable "steps".
With dynamic track, opposite is possible: visible track shapes can not match (1,5m gap-like step), while vector line appears to be smooth and perfect.

#8 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 03 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

View Posteolesen, on 02 March 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

It might be TSRE induced.

Look at the track database line in the editor, and you might see that they don't line up. I've had this happen countless times. Something in the math isn't working and it creates zigs & zags at track piece intersections. Gave Goku a couple examples of it, but he couldn't ever get it figured out.

What I've done is using the Z key, remove the zagged track from the database and Z it again to zig it back into alignment. As long as there are no more changes to the TDB on that track node (e.g. between junctions or x-overs) it should remain stable.

you sir are a Steely-eyed missile man....that was the trick....did that on the first switch where it started doing those crazy things...and that fixed the issue....

thanks

#9 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 03 March 2023 - 02:25 PM

BTW, You can use Track Viewer for verifying smoothness of tracksection vector's sequences: make a path through stretch, needed to be inspected, then select it and build track profile - it's zoomable, so You will see "spikes" easily.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users