• You cannot reply to this topic

A question about Track Vector Lines Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:11 PM

Hi,
Are the track vector lines something to be concerned about ? (the yellow lines with the half height yellow poles.)
Attached File  Screenshot_20230228_112732.jpg (1.26MB)
Number of downloads: 10
The near track on the two track has reversed itself at the turnout, It's an a2t1000r1d section and there are three more past it in the screengrab before returning to a tangent. It's not real clear in this view, the silver TDB line is intact. (I swung around in the editor to be sure.)

#2 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:26 PM

Have you tried toggling the tbd by selecting the track and hitting Z? Turns it on/off.
You can always delete the piece and relay it.
It's the line the train follows, it has to be there.

Randy

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 28 February 2023 - 06:25 PM

Hello.
Thought, vector is gray (property of track section), while TDB is yellow (allocation inside gaming world).
I agree with Randy: try to select failed track section, exclude it from TDB by pressing Z (this function should be turned ON in options), then select section again and record its actual position in TDB by pressing Z once again.

On Your picture, I see strange to me thing: there aren't blue poles with blue numbers, showing "free ends" of TDB lines. Anyway, manual fixing TDB with TSRE is more visible and controllable and clear, rather with MSTS RE.

#4 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 February 2023 - 06:59 PM

To answer my question, yes it was important. Finally occurred to me to look at it in the ORTS Track Viewer and yes, it was missing in the Track Viewer.
I was able to select it, and delete it. and place a replacement piece without a problem (Hooray ! No more Vector-Non Vector error messages!)
The reason there are no blue poles is the yellow line reversed itself at the turnout, and is running almost parallel to the yellow line for the straight leg of the turnout.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:52 PM

TSRE lets you move road and track shapes away from their proper location (often out of sight, like under a building) without you knowing that you've done that. That can lead to multiple .tdb lines on one location.

The problem in TSRE is obvious to anyone who uses Sketchup (SU). You see, SU has toolbars for its functions and therein has separated the select function from the rotate view function from move selected object function. IOW you can not accidentally move something in SU by rotating the view, you have to let go of the selected object in order to do that (i.e., the act of selecting the rotate function cancels the select function). AFAIK in TSRE you can bundle functions and the result is a selected object will relocate when you drag your mouse somewhere else and rotate the view. Either the rotation point becomes the center of the movement arc and the distance equal to the rotation arc or the drag of the mouse does it.

I explained this to Goku and he harshly rejected the suggestion to consider the use of toolbars as I described them. I didn't think at the time his response was because it meant a lot of work but more likely because it struck him as bizarre. I stand by my analysis and would recommend toolbars and separated functions again to anyone who forks the software and works on it.

#6 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:27 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 28 February 2023 - 08:52 PM, said:

TSRE lets you move road and track shapes away from their proper location (often out of sight, like under a building) without you knowing that you've done that. That can lead to multiple .tdb lines on one location.

The problem in TSRE is obvious to anyone who uses Sketchup (SU). You see, SU has toolbars for its functions and therein has separated the select function from the rotate view function from move selected object function. IOW you can not accidentally move something in SU by rotating the view, you have to let go of the selected object in order to do that (i.e., the act of selecting the rotate function cancels the select function). AFAIK in TSRE you can bundle functions and the result is a selected object will relocate when you drag your mouse somewhere else and rotate the view. Either the rotation point becomes the center of the movement arc and the distance equal to the rotation arc or the drag of the mouse does it.

I explained this to Goku and he harshly rejected the suggestion to consider the use of toolbars as I described them. I didn't think at the time his response was because it meant a lot of work but more likely because it struck him as bizarre. I stand by my analysis and would recommend toolbars and separated functions again to anyone who forks the software and works on it.

To be honest... there are a few things I would change about TSRE similar to this. There *should* be a *modal* panel with indicators to SHOW the current status of toggle-able settings, for example.

#7 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:26 AM

Hello. Doug and others.

yellow line reversed itself

1. MSTS have T-key actuated swapping of selected track section (most important, when working with switch sections, but also-with curved ones)
TSRE does the same by X-key pressing, and X key is next to Z and Shift keys. (I mean, that X could be pressed unintentionally, causing curve's reverting)
2. Any manipulations with track sections is recommended to perform after excluding them from TDB by Z pressing (yellow line will disappear for indicating that); then, after they will be repositioned - they can be recorded to TDB by pressing Z another time (yellow line appears again and should be welded with the rest of track work without blue poles). Not doing that exclusion can lead to unpredictable outcomes, such as occasionally adding misplaced section's vector data into TDB. Your situation is looking like that.
3. Instead of deletion such wrong track piece (it may be difficult to find it in list again for re-placement), You can try to: select (click)->exclude (Z)->rotate (X) and ->add again (Z).

#8 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:42 AM

you move road and track shapes away from their proper location... That can lead to multiple .tdb lines on one location.

As I've noted, shifted section may be recorded once again, while original data is still being there.

the act of selecting the rotate function cancels the select function

With TSRE it's the same, but still:

selected object will relocate when you drag your mouse somewhere else and rotate the view

And even worse: once Select function is active, click&drad somewhere (for changing viewpoint), would instantly sweep occasionally selected item quite far away!

would recommend toolbars and separated functions again to anyone who forks the software and works on it.

And I'd add my ask for "radio" buttons for changing coordinate and rotation angle values, as currently we have to enter new value, exit, then enter again, more or less.

#9 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 March 2023 - 02:25 PM

I beleive Goku did some really nice (but sometimes still a bit rough) innovative things -- terrain painting for example -- as well as useful ideas such as multiple .ref files, but IMO the overall UI is simply a hot mess.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:11 PM

Want to know, what's in one's head - see what's on his balcony.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users