Elvas Tower: Please review Open Rails Keyboard Controls - Elvas Tower

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please review Open Rails Keyboard Controls Request to review Keyboard Controls reference files Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 February 2023 - 07:00 PM

Being new to Open Rails I needed an overview of all Open Rails Keyboard controls in order to run the simulator. I exported the keyboard controls from the Open Rails Keyboard Options screen, re-grouped and formatted them. To get the Camera controls correct, I created a separate sheet using information from the Open Rails manual. This resulted in two documents "Open Rails Default Keyboard Controls" and "Open Rails Default Camera Controls". Many thanks to Peter Newell who was so kind to publish them on his Coals to Newcastle website.

If you have a chance to look at the documents, I would appreciate your feedback. Please let me know if things are unclear or grouped incorrectly or any other feedback that can help improve the information. The two documents can be found on Coals to Newcastle - Support Documentation.

Thank you!
Hank

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:55 AM

View PostHendrik, on 27 February 2023 - 07:00 PM, said:

Being new to Open Rails I needed an overview of all Open Rails Keyboard controls in order to run the simulator. I exported the keyboard controls from the Open Rails Keyboard Options screen, re-grouped and formatted them. To get the Camera controls correct, I created a separate sheet using information from the Open Rails manual. This resulted in two documents "Open Rails Default Keyboard Controls" and "Open Rails Default Camera Controls". Many thanks to Peter Newell who was so kind to publish them on his Coals to Newcastle website.

If you have a chance to look at the documents, I would appreciate your feedback. Please let me know if things are unclear or grouped incorrectly or any other feedback that can help improve the information. The two documents can be found on Coals to Newcastle - Support Documentation.

Thank you!
Hank

Hi Hank,

WOW - beautiful work - sir. You've obviously spent a great deal of time on this. I'll go through it more thoroughly.

:sign_thanks:

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:01 AM

Hello, Hank.
Thanks for Your efforts! That's great!
Please, note (or didn't You do that already?), that there is a command, creating a spreadsheet with currently configured keystrokes on your desktop?
Which means actual set of corresponding key combination to ORTS command, configured by user, taking in account all changes, made by him.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2023 - 02:56 PM

Nice work Hank.

I have never understood why the OR team did not use two (or maybe even three) normal characters for commands. Consider how every increase/decrease command could be done finished with a plus or minus character (e.g, for the sander: X+ and X-, for the train brake: TB+ and TB-, for the independent locomotive brake: LB+ and LB- (or IB if preferred) along with a final number, so P1+ and P1- through P4+ and P4-, and so on). Instead we have decrease commands like <Shift>M, <Alt>R, and <CNRL>M.

It would also work for ahead and behind: G+ and G- and maybe even toggle on and off:

Compare the consistency (or lack thereof)

Steam Heat
<Alt> U
<Alt> D

replaced by
SH+
SH-

Blower
N
<Shift> N

Replaced by
B+
B-

The examples run on for a while. It won't clean up all commands but it would improve quite a few.

#5 User is online   Weter 

Posted 28 February 2023 - 06:16 PM

Hello.
These are likely MSTS compatibility and need to have fingers always on 8 traction/braking control buttons, with vigilance, sanding, doors controls being nearby.
OTOH, if P1 through P4 in Your example means pantographs - than this seems to me as a great idea. (I.e. rare used commands, having more complex "targets")

#6 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:50 AM

Hi Folks,

One other thought - I know the number of available keystrokes has been a problem and a limiting factor for different controls in ORTS - for a long time. Would it be possible to have ORTS detect - long, short, and double tap key presses - that could also potentially provide a much larger pool of keys that could be assigned?

I use keystroke emulator software (Voice Attack) to control my "joysticks" - which detects long, short, and double tap key presses - which I find very helpful overcoming the limited number of buttons on a joystick.

Regards,
Scott

#7 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:31 AM

Looks good to me. The only suggestion is on the camera controls, is on the 3D cab you should have that it is controlled by the mouse, arrow keys, PgUp and PgDn, and Home and End.

If you are looking for a locomotive with 3D Cab try the CD&Q K-4 4-60 710 over at TrainSim.com.

Phil

#8 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:54 AM

View Postscottb613, on 28 February 2023 - 03:55 AM, said:

I'll go through it more thoroughly.

Thanks Scott, looking forward to your feedback! I did make some (yet unpublished) updates to the descriptions for Diesel Distributed Power Units for Diesel consists that still have the cryptic default descriptions.
Hank

#9 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:59 AM

View PostWeter, on 28 February 2023 - 08:01 AM, said:

Hello, Hank.
Please, note (or didn't You do that already?), that there is a command, creating a spreadsheet with currently configured keystrokes on your desktop?

Thanks! I used the OR keyboard export to create this overview. The idea was to have a one pager (double sided) that is a bit easier to use when you do not know the key controls yet.
Hank

#10 User is online   Weter 

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:07 AM

Very kind and generous intention! Thanks for that.
I remember MSTS carton with colored keyboard's layout.
As well, F-22 Raptor (by NovaLogic) overlay of carton, with holes for Esc and F1-F12 functional keys, which could be put on standard keyboard for constant reference.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users