• You cannot reply to this topic

Animating a one sided face wiper Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 February 2023 - 11:22 AM

Hi
I'm trying to edit a very old MSTS engine model for use with OpenRails, where there is a working wiper on number No.1 cab end and there is a reversed non animated wiper No.2 cab end. I can get the No.2 cab end wipers to animated, but as soon as I animated the wipers, they switch positions to No.1 cab end. Because these wipers only show a one sided face, simply moving the wipers to No.2 cab end will make the wipers invisible. Is there a way to reverse these wipers? I can reverse non animated face parts but unsure about reversing one sided face animations. Can it be done?

Here is the relevant shape inputs

anim_node WIPERARMLEFT1 (
					controllers ( 1
						tcb_rot ( 3
							tcb_key ( 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 2 0 0 -0.507107 0.807107 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 )
						)
					)
				)

matrix WIPERARMLEFT1 ( -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1 1.0657 3.75336 1.6597 )

Thanks

#2 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:57 AM

I have messed around with this kind of thing in relation to a digital speedometer shape in a 3d cab.

I found that changing the matrix line worked, but it's trial and error.

I would try copying the last four sets of digits to the middle set of four, and inverting the second number. So:

matrix WIPERARMLEFT1 ( -1 0 0 0 -1 -1.0657 3.75336 1.6597 -1 1.0657 3.75336 1.6597 )

Geoff

#3 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:41 AM

Hi Geoff

Thanks, I give it a try. The actual model is the Class 105 Cravens DMMU. I'm just updating them visually for OR.

Cheers!

#4 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 February 2023 - 12:11 PM

No change I'm afraid. If the wiper had both sides with solid faces, I think this would work!. Shape files are not really my expertise. I shall continue this by trail and error.

Also, I did ask this question before but is there anyway to animate a static scenery object permanently without any input in the world file from a route editor?

Thanks

#5 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 March 2023 - 12:09 PM

View PostCoolhand101, on 15 February 2023 - 12:11 PM, said:

...Also, I did ask this question before but is there anyway to animate a static scenery object permanently without any input in the world file from a route editor?...

Hi Coolhand101,

Do you mean to insert animation lines into an existing shape where no subobjects (matrices) are animatet yet?
Or do you want to animate shapes that already contain animations but are not signed as "animated" in the world?

Greetings
jonas

#6 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

View Postjonas, on 07 March 2023 - 12:09 PM, said:

Hi Coolhand101,

Do you mean to insert animation lines into an existing shape where no subobjects (matrices) are animatet yet?
Or do you want to animate shapes that already contain animations but are not signed as "animated" in the world?

Greetings
jonas

Hi Jonas

Yes the latter. So basically, I made two flashing lights on a temporary speed restriction board for use with OR/MSTS. Althought I did get an answer to this for OR and MSTS, but I also know that MSTS had various workarounds to get things to work.

However, animations in scenery objects from the speedpost.dat file are not recognize in both sims, hence if there was a way in the shape file to have the animation permanently on.
On a whim, I even put the speedpost.dat file in the OR route folder but got the same result.

I remember many years ago, I made night textures for restricted speed boards in MSTS. MSTS does not use any night textures with objects from the speedpost.dat file. Then a few years later, I was pleasantly surprise to find that OR did and my night textures was actually working years after making them!

Thanks

#7 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 March 2023 - 04:43 PM

View PostCoolhand101, on 07 March 2023 - 02:45 PM, said:

...Yes the latter....
In general, shapes that contain animations are only shown as animated by "StaticFlags ( 00080000 )" in a world file. This StaticFlag is activated in RE when the shape is set, or of course it can also be set later by hand in the world file. But that would be what you don't want to do, which I can good understand.

View PostCoolhand101, on 07 March 2023 - 02:45 PM, said:

...However, animations in scenery objects from the speedpost.dat file are not recognize in both sims, hence if there was a way in the shape file to have the animation permanently on. ...
Ok, when it comes to the speedpost.dat it occurs to me, at least for MSTS, that the speedpost.dat-sign-s-files should not have any subobjects (more than 1 matrix), more precisely: just one subobject, the main matrix so to speak. speedpost.dat-sign-s-files with more than one matrix just don't show up in MSTS (at least for temporary speed limit sections as far as I remember). The same applies to the number of textures.
Therefore I have built all my speedpost.dat-sign-s-files to use only 1 matrix and 1 texture. Means: Only 1 matrix -> no animation possible.

Comon good animations in s-files should have at least 2 matrices. One, the main matrix, which ideally remains static and possibly others that can then be animated. See here.

So, in my experience, I can't model animated speedpost.dat-sign-s-files. A workaround would of course be interesting.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users