• You cannot reply to this topic

Headphone use with Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 January 2023 - 06:42 PM

Using a laptop, plugging in headphones after OR loads and starts will not result in the transfer of the audio to the headphones. This is contrary to normal usage that I've encountered with other programs/games --- plugging in headphones after game starts always transfers audio to the headphones.
Is there a fix for this in OR?

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:43 PM

You might want to check to see if you have application specific sound settings.

It's in System -> Sound -> Volume Mixer and then scroll down to Applications.

https://www.top-pass...in-windows-11/#

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that ( OS is Win10 )...checked, nothing about OR in the sound section, nor in the advanced sound options, where the only two apps listed were FireFox at 100%vol and Solitare 100%vol ...no mention of OR or an option to add an app. Still looking...
I'm wondering if it is something I'm missing in my machine or it's something in OR.

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2023 - 10:40 PM

Hello, Gerry.
Happy new year.
ORTS will appear in that list only, when it's running.
When I plug-in phones into laptop with w10, dialog window usually appears:
It has orange icon on task bar too. This can "pause" the sound output, untill Your reaction.

#5 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 02 March 2023 - 11:59 AM

Hi Gerry
As Weter mentions, your computer might be opening a prompt that gives options for sound output settings when you plug in the headphones.

Unfortunately, if you have Open Rails running in fullscreen mode and you alt-tab out, the flashing notification might go away and any other related alert boxes may still be hiding behind other windows. You'll then have to go digging for them or find and click on the sound system' notification icon down near the clock (or worse, hiding behind the carat to the left of the notification icons that means "more notification icons..." and find it there in the array of them that slides up. The offending one will be highlighted somehow and clicking it will usually bring its options forward.

Mostly what's happening with modern laptops (and some desktops) is that when you plug in the headphones, the computer tests their impedance and wants to set an appropriate amount of amplification so the sound range isn't too loud or too quiet. Some just make their best guess and move on. Others want to pop up a menu that lets you either take what the computer offers or change it to some sort of low/medium/high choice. But until you make a choice, the headphone output doesn't start up. Find the pop-up and make your choice, and if you're lucky, there may be a "Don't ask me again" box you can tick.

You might also try sifting through all your audio options; there may be a section for what happens when you plug in headphones that has options for muting or not muting the speaker output as well as other options.

Typically, business and general purpose laptops don't bother you with many of these options. But if it's a "gaming laptop" in the slightest, it may have an abundance of bells and whistles to adjust.

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:33 PM

I still think it has something to do with loading sound when OR starts...it is the only game that does this.

All other games I have run -- once they have loaded and started --- if you then plug in the headphones the audio output will automatically switch from speakers to headphones...OR will not. I have to stop the game, plug in the headphones and restart. I've tried to find and adjust all the sound settings ( some are buried so deeply in Win10 they are almost impossible to find ) and nothing appears to affect this.

...of course, I am the responsible party when it comes to REMEMBERING http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_oops.gif http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pardon.gif to plug in my headphones before loading OR...so it rests entirely on my shoulders. 'Tis mildly frustrating, every once in a while I try to debug the issue again and end up following a funny bunny down a hole.
Thanks for your kind and patient efforts...I have turned to your posts and website more times that I can remember and found good solutions to problems. I run in windowed mode, not full screen. Alienware gaming laptop.

#7 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:50 PM

I've encountered similar issues with audio devices and OR specifically, including this one. It happens both directions, when connecting and disconnecting devices (either Bluetooth or wired).

Additionally, if I let my computer go to sleep with an open OR session, there will be no audio after resuming. I just have to save, close OR and restart.

This has happened on both my windows 8.1 laptop and my windows 11 desktop so it's not necessarily isolated to one OS unless I've missed the relevant setting in both.

Peter M

*Edit: clarifying a bit

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:07 PM

It happens both directions, when connecting and disconnecting devices (either Bluetooth or wired). ..
if I let my computer go to sleep with an open OR session, there will be no audio after resuming

Just remembered: with HDMI connection (big LED TV) - too.

#9 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:47 PM

View PostWeter, on 02 March 2023 - 06:07 PM, said:

Just remembered: with HDMI connection (big LED TV) - too.

Ah that's probably it. Just checked, and on my laptop the error only occurs when hooking up to a monitor via an HDMI cable. Otherwise the devices behave normally with OR.

Apparently this issue also exists with Dell DisplayPort, which I'm using for my desktop.

Thanks!
Peter M

#10 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 03 March 2023 - 11:36 AM

Yes, once HDMI or sometimes even USB audio enters the picture, things can get a bit squirrely. I have one monitor with built-in speakers that uses HDMI audio, and another that has USB audio passthrough support. Normally I use analog outputs to headphones or to an external audio amplifier. But on the odd occasion where I use the monitor's built-in speakers over HDMI, things get a bit confused if I alt-tab in an out of games and still have the headphones plugged into the computer, or if I was using the HDMI audio before restarting the computer. Analog audio tends to work as expected. Digital audio and software sometimes trip over their respective feet...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users