Elvas Tower: Locomotive Testing - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Locomotive Testing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:42 PM

This thread has been started to allow some discussion in regards to locomotive testing (a follow on from this thread), and allow others to participate in contribution and maintenance of stock on the CTN site.

The CTN Stock is not meant to be an exclusive collection of stock, but it is designed to specifically support the development of OR.

It serves the following purposes:

i) Provides a test model that is used in confirming the performance of code and model in OR. This is usually done by comparing the operation of the model against a documented railway company test report.

ii) Provides a test model that can be used to compare changes in OR code that might impact on the original functionality or operation of the model. For example, if a bug is inadvertently introduced.

iii) Provides users with configuration examples that they can use to set up their own models. The use of a common file format has been adopted to ensure files are as easy to read as possible, and to acts as a form of checklist.

Over time the "older" model ENG files get out of date and do not have all the new functions coded into them, so they don't easily fulfill the goal of item iii) as they may or may not have all the relevant functions in them.

One of my desires is to get a small group of supporters who, from time to time, review the various ENG and WAG files in the test models to ensure that they are up to date with all the most recent features.

In other words this would be an opportunity to showcase OR's capabilities, and encourage new adoptees by overcoming some of the "learning" hump.

I want to respond to some specific testing related comments from the other thread.

View Postsuperheatedsteam, on 02 January 2023 - 03:10 AM, said:

I see the NS SD70ACE #1030 has a 3D model that is unable to be modified. If you can lower your standards, then I have an incomplete SD70ACe/Lc that could be used as a base. With an open licence, interested contributors in their respective fields can collaborate to compile a peer reviewed model of a SD70ACe locomotive for Open Rails.
Thanks for the offer to assist.

The purpose of this model was to build a scenario that matched the test report linked to on the stock page. This report was used by NS to get the best performance possible for their locomotive fleet. Thus, it provides a real world demonstration of the actual load hauling capability of a diesel.

I am not fixed on this specific model, and I am open to a different model provided the physics are maintained accurately over time and it serves the goals outlined above.

View PostATSF3751, on 02 January 2023 - 05:06 AM, said:

I would be willing to help out. If you would like I could build an updated NYC Niagara 4-8-4 for testing purposes so we have a proper American 4-8-4. I just found a big article about there testing on the road. I will see if I can find any more American steam locomotives that have testing by the railroads. I do understand where you are coming from Peter with wanting test results but they are very hard to come by here in the USA and I honestly feel we have so many steam locomotives over here that people know how they operate under specific conditions that it is okay if we don't have test results for every single one of them. Every steam locomotive class performs differently so it is okay to not have test results for everything. I feel like lowering your standards just a little bit would be helpful because then more would be willing to help out in the cause.

Thanks for the offer to help.

I already have a Niagara on the stock page which refers to the documents that you have indicated.

Again I am not fixed on this specific model, and I am open to a different model provided the physics are maintained accurately over time and it serves the goals outlined above.

I agree that test reports are not very common, but this page has a list of the test results that I have managed to find. A lot of them have been instrumental in developing the physics of the steam locomotive in OR.The test reports provides a "black and white" measure of performance, and removes any potential disagreement in regard to how the locomotive should perform.

View Postscottb613, on 02 January 2023 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'm certainly willing to help where and when I can - perhaps it would be better - to post the individual tasks you want done and we can evaluate our own abilities to accomplish said task? I've certainly spent a great deal of time trying to come up with the best physics possible for my locomotives.

As far as 3D Modeling goes - as long as detailed realistic textures aren't needed - we should be able to accommodate anything you need. UV Mapping and Textures are the most time-consuming aspects of any model for me.
The models are more about showcasing the physics of OR (though good looking models would be an added bonus).

For example, most of the models on the CTN site do not support dynamic coal usage on the tenders, this would be a good feature to have on them all.

So in short, my goal would be to have:

i) Good physics and features in the ENG and WAG files that are maintained up to date.

ii) Good looking models representative of the test report or scenario for which the test locomotive is created for.

#2 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 January 2023 - 07:14 AM

Hi Peter,

The SD70ACe models you have are way better looking than what I have to offer.

I don't time to complete these models any time soon so I will upload them for peer review and see what if anything is salvageable and what needs replacing. Hopefully a suitable locomotive is the result.

I'm no good to you on the physics side but I will look at adding comments to the ENG WAG files.

Cheers,

Marek.

#3 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:47 PM

Peter, I did just come across these from the Milwaukee Road Archive website. Not sure if any of this is help to you or not but there is more on here as well if anyone would like to take a peak at it. https://milwaukeeroa...Steam/Steam.htm

https://milwaukeeroa...ication1944.pdf

https://milwaukeeroa...oad_journal.pdf

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users