• You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE questions - Distant mountains and Tiles Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 20 November 2022 - 02:08 PM

Hello,

I'm building a fictional route (aprox 120km) in TSRE and a few conundrums have appeared. A portion of the route have a veritable ring of mountains surrounding a region and these should be visible at pretty much all times regardless of where the player is on the route.
I know this has something to do with distant mountains/terrain but it's unclear how I make these?

Can TSRE generate distant terrain based on the existing terrain I've built or is there some magic to it I don't understand? I would prefer to do this without any special software or tools if at all possible so hopefully you TSRE gurus can help me work things out here.

The other question regards world tiles and how to safely get rid of excess tiles that I've erroneously generated in the software but that aren't needed. Can I delete them from the Tiles folder safely or does TSRE have some hidden options I haven't discovered yet?

I'm using TSRE5 v0.07.002 and so far it's been doing all I could ask of it.

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 November 2022 - 02:15 PM

There is an option: to work on distant or close terrain with TSRE.
Upper-right menu, drop-down list.
You can add tiles manually, from initial location, specified in *.trk-file, and I remember, I removed unneeded tile with tsre one time. So no quad-tree needed.
It asks for confirmation before to proceed, so you can think twice, for not regretting later.

#3 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President

Posted 20 November 2022 - 02:44 PM

I checked the two terrain options already, but I am to asume I have to make the terrain from scratch again in this mode? What exactly happens when generating distant terrain this way and could mistakes damage the route?
Is it possible to make copies of the world tiles and have TSRE/OR use them as distant terrain? For example: copying the relevant world tiles and put them in a Lo_tiles folder?

I don't know what is meant by using the .trk file but I see it in the Geo tool the options to generate distant terrain from the .mkr or .tdb file, could someone kindly elaborate?

I'm very curious how you deleted world tiles in TSRE, I'd like to know more.

EDIT: I have attempted to make distant mountains using the distant terrain editing function in the program, it went pretty well even if it meant recreating the mountains by hand. But now they can be seen from far and wide, very nice.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll be alright for now. :good:

#4 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:23 PM

As I understand, terraforming tools are used for editing selected terrain.
Distant terrain can't affect route, as everything is placed on close terrain.

I think, said files give coordinates of needed location for creating real relief.
Trk, tdb or mkr files contain route coordinates, saying TSRE, for which place exactly, to look for height or overlay map's data.

Very good question - to save Your time, not needing to create the same terrain twice, but I don't know.
Lo tiles folder contains distant terrain tiles, but they are bigger in size and more rough in sense of mesh resolution, thar main tiles.
Just copy is doubtful to help.

Wish You success.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:55 PM

Everything you mentioned can be done in DEMEX. Do you still have a copy?

WRT distant mountains... DEMEX has the ability to create them from near terrain. It can be useful to create DM tiles for everything as that way you won't have a visible terrain horizon a few tiles ahead of the locomotive. That or set the visibility value farther out and create more near terrain tiles. I routinely put 5 tiles on either side of the track path and DM beyond that. Of course w/ a mountain rte YMMV.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 21 November 2022 - 06:39 AM

I amazed with Bоdensee-Tougenberg route of Switzerland (further version goes as SOB - Sued-Ost Bahn)
DM are essential for that place and they reconstructed perfectly, using satellite images as a texture.
Instead of mountains aside and above, You see them beneath, with beautiful lakes between.

#7 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 20 November 2022 - 06:55 PM, said:

Everything you mentioned can be done in DEMEX. Do you still have a copy?

I don't believe I ever had it? I've never needed to do distant mountains as no route I've built to date have been big or hilly enough to require it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users