Elvas Tower: PRR X29 Box car 571777 - Elvas Tower

No uploading is allowed here by anyone. That includes screenshots or other images. Any screenshot or image desired in any post must be hotlinked from an image hosting site(Photobucket, etc,) or existing topic in the main discussion forums.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PRR X29 Box car 571777 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:05 PM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=3220
File Name: PRR X29 Box car 571777
File Submitter: timmuir
File Submitted: 18 Nov 2022
File Category: Box Cars Std Gauge

This archive contains one repaint of a Pennsylvania RR X29 box car model made in 2007. No modifications have been made to the original shapes. This is actually a new repaint of an old repaint I did years ago, which had very bad weathering. I think this one is a bit better, using rust and dust decals from Textures.com to clone from.

X29 No.571777 in brown paint.

Between 1924 and 1934, the Pennsylvania Railroad purchased or built over 30,000 of the X29 class of box cars. The X29 became the most prolific freight car of the late Steam/Transition Era. These cars appeared in every corner of the US and Canada. The Pennsylvania Railroad had more X29s than some railroads had total rolling stock! In 1939, there were 39,000 X29s on the PRR roster. By 1953, there were still 23,000 in service.

The X29 is shorter in height than other boxcars of its day, designed this way in order to navigate the tunnels into New York City. As it turned out, the tunnels were inappropriate for freight service, so the cars rarely saw that duty.

For more information on these cars, visit the web page devoted to them at:
http://prr.railfan.n....html?class=X29

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:08 PM

A couple more angles of this venerable member of the massive X29 boxcar family (over 30,000 units!).

Attached File  Open Rails 2022-11-18 06-13-08.jpg (1.39MB)
Number of downloads: 5

Attached File  Open Rails 2022-11-18 06-16-58.jpg (2.01MB)
Number of downloads: 6

Same old X29, new paint.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 November 2022 - 03:23 AM

Hi Tim,

Absolutely superb. Your weathering has come a long way from the early days. It looks real.
:)

Thank you.

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:53 AM

Thanks, Scott. The various alpha .png decals of rust and dirt at textures.com really do speed things up with regards to that. The trick is getting the effects to "scale", so resizing the decals in the paint program before cloning (at various opacities ) is sometimes necessary. I wish there were more of the decals, they have become invaluable to the type of work I do.

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:14 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 20 November 2022 - 05:53 AM, said:

Thanks, Scott. The various alpha .png decals of rust and dirt at textures.com really do speed things up with regards to that. The trick is getting the effects to "scale", so resizing the decals in the paint program before cloning (at various opacities ) is sometimes necessary. I wish there were more of the decals, they have become invaluable to the type of work I do.

Hi Tim,

Yeah - I’ve collected a bunch from there as well - thanks to your tip. You can also think outside the box like Erick - IIRC - he discussed applying grass textures to weather his cars. You have my most intense and best attempt at realistic weathering on those USRA PRR boxes I’ve seen you post recently. I was pretty happy with how they came out even on a 2D panel side. It takes time t do them right. You’ve obviously mastered one of the biggest improvements you can make - desaturate - those darn colors. I’ve wanted to repaint some of those X29’s of yours into LNE - no - must not deviate from the Mountain - I find it’s way too easy for me to run off on tangents…
;)

Always a pleasure…

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 20 November 2022 - 08:49 AM

I’ve wanted to repaint some of those X29’s of yours into LNE - no - must not deviate from the Mountain - I find it’s way too easy for me to run off on tangents…

LOL...I hear THAT! I'm constantly being sidetracked by some thing or another. This X29 is an example. Side tracks into side tracks, into side tracks....but it's all good because something usually comes from it that a few folks can use or would like to have. :)

#7 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 20 November 2022 - 09:15 AM

If I didn't go off on tangents I'd never get anything done. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/derisive.gif

Randy

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 November 2022 - 09:19 AM

All these are nothing, but useful exercises, making us more skillful.
Nothing bad in side tracks.

#9 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:21 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 20 November 2022 - 08:49 AM, said:

LOL...I hear THAT! I'm constantly being sidetracked by some thing or another. This X29 is an example. Side tracks into side tracks, into side tracks....but it's all good because something usually comes from it that a few folks can use or would like to have. :)

Tim,

As long as the sidetrack isn't a dead end siding you are fine. Now if there are many sidetracks then it becomes a yard and that is good because it helps you sort things out and then build a new 'train of thought'.

Scott,

Those two recent locomotives of your's look real good. Now if only I can find the time to run some trains but I have been so busy here of late, had 48 projects in my architectural firm so far this year and I have been like a one arm paper hanger with the hives trying to keep up with all of them.

#10 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2022 - 01:13 PM

You can never have too many X29s! Even if you are not in Pennsy country the chances of seeing them regularly was high. There were so many of them around that a significant proportion of photos of freight trains or yards will feature at least one. I am particularly happy to see that you have the older scheme, that covers a much larger time scale. For my modelling the 'Shadow Keystone' is too modern (1954 on). Keep up the good work.

There were X29's in the passenger fleet (steam and signal line fitted I believe), so those particular cars would have regularly gone through the Hudson and East River tubes.

I spent today operating on an O scale layout set on the Canada/US border areas (CN/CP/GN/Milw) and I pointed out to the owner that he needed at least one X29 on the layout. I don't know whether there is a reasonable model available off the shelf, I shall have to do some research. The layout was featured in the Continental Modeller magazine (British) a couple of years ago, it's the Colunbia and Western.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users