Elvas Tower: Introduction and a few questions for OR - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introduction and a few questions for OR Timetables, rail yards, Appalachians Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BloatedBlowfish 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rail

Posted 11 November 2022 - 03:18 PM

Greetings,

I originally posted these questions over at Trainsim, and on the advice of a veteran over there, was told I might find answers over here at Elvas Tower due to this forum having more interest in operations.

Since this is my first post here, let me begin with an introduction.

Originally from Northeastern Ohio, my grandfather had a 1950's Lionel train set that he sat up every year around the Christmas tree, I specifically remember the Traveling Aquarium Train Car. I watched it for hours, falling asleep to the sound.

In 1967, my grandparents, my mom and I traveled through the Smoky Mountains. We came out of a long tunnel, and came to a crossing. Before us was five or six engines crossing in front of us with a long set of cars. How long? My grandmother and I got out of the car, sat on the hood, leaning back against the front window, and tried counting them. A gentleman walked up to our car and said, "get comfortable, its gonna be a couple hours". So imagine seeing an older woman and her 4 year old grandson asleep on the hood of a car, while the two people inside were snoring as well.

My first memory of train hunting was traveling with my Uncle (on vacation from his home in Virginia) to photograph some trains along the Ohio routes leading to/from Indiana/Kentucky/Pennsylvania. It was with him I saw the first Apollo launch in July of 69, so when he asked if I wanted to go see trains and eat greasy food for a couple weeks in August of that same year, well I was all in (after getting the go ahead from the grandparents and my mom).

We spent a couple days in the Canton/Massillon area photographing engines and stock on the Greer and Republic Steel lines respectively (near my home town) then traveled west to Dayton to pick up other important bridges and crossings. I remember stopping at a Hobby Shop somewhere near Dayton, which had a large train layout. It was cool, seeing the trains doing their job, while outside the door (or so it seemed) their real world counterpart were doing theirs.

Now at this point, the shop owner had a conversation with my Uncle and after a phone call, he told me were going to see a big layout at a man's house nearby in West Carrolton. Turns out it was Allen Mcclelland's V&O. Yes it's been 53 years, but that layout blew my little mind away. Mr. Mcclelland was a kind host and after a couple hours, we left, with a promise to return if ever in the area.

I never had the room to set up a layout, and now that I'm near 60, a very low income keeps that from happening.

Enter Open Rails:

For complete transparency, I do not have MSTS installed, so it is just Open Rails. So far, I'm really enjoying the game, and while I'm not to fond of being the engineer at this point, at least I have that option if I want in the future.

Routes I currently have are:
burrinjuck_v3
wvr_v1
tweed_railway_v2
Bernina
CP_MACTIER
zig_zag
BNSF SCENIC

So to my questions:

1) I've used the autopilot to take on the passenger role, switching from one camera to another so I'm somewhat familiar with how a route from point A to point B works. But I'm curious, is there a setting that would allow me to step out of a specific train as it comes into a yard and watch the work done, i.e., cars being switched, traffic coming in/heading out etc.?

1A) Is this considered "Timetable" mode, and if so, do most existing routes available for download have this feature added in?

1B) I'm not sure if the routes I currently own have a rail yard feature so that I can do this, so just in case does anyone have recommendations for routes that would include a rail yard.

2) I'm certainly a fan of Steam/Coal and while I have not investigated adding in any engines that are from this era to any of the existing routes I have, can anyone recommend routes that feature Steam/Coal?

3) Huge fan of the Appalachian mountain setting, does anyone have suggestions for routes that include Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio?

Sorry for the long intro and for asking all these questions,

Cheers,
BloatedBlowfish

#2 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 November 2022 - 08:11 PM

Hello and welcome, first.
Great story. Yes, for some people, charm of rail-based stuff lasts all life long.
Thanks for sharing.

To Your questions:
1. Not sure, is this, what You are asking about, but, when I verify my timetable actions (24-hours long) I create single-vehicle train with path, limited by unused short spur somewhere near the station, I want to watch, choose that train, and when game will be loaded - I press 8 key, which gives us two free-flying cameras. Both can be putted whatever You want to observe the "station's life" BTW, such special player train is called here "an observer" for being clear with its purpose. Such with its path too.
If two free cams are not enough, press 8 again: each time You do so - one more free camera will be introduced at place, You are currently in.

Else, in ACTIVITY mode, You can jump to any another train, either to watch it by outside and passenger cameras (i.e. by all, exept cab camera), or even take control on it, selecting, whether Your primary player-train will be suspended, or become AI-controlled, so it will continue accomplishing its predefined task without Your control.
So, You can lead mainline train, stop it on station, then take a shunter to re-arrange it, or another train for continuing an opposite run, or initially, choose to drive another train, which was not a player train originally.

TIMETABLE mode doesn't allow to control other trains, but You can watch any of them, as said above.
Switching to trains, being on other parts of route, You can "seed" free cams upon other stations/locations, but You have to wait, while scenery will be loaded, if those places are far away from each other.
1A
Timetable mode can be applied to ANY route, because it's not a route feature: You write it's files and place it's specific folders by Yourself (or get some stuff, written by other authors and copy that to Your route's Activity/weather files folders.
1B
do You mean roundhouse with turntable? Some routes have hump yards with whole, or semi-hills. There is special camera feature for following uncoupled cars.
Try also fly-by camera - its amazing! Or camera, attached to parallel-cruising automobile, in appropriate places.

When some routes are within the same "installation" all rolling stock is common, and available for any of these routes.
Generally, adding RS is simple: just insert consist file with it to consists folder, while model's folder (and cab/sound additions, if they are common/separate) - to trainset folder - and You'll got it.

My question now: are You interested somehow in exploring routes from other continents?

With this, I wish You many pleasant hours with these unlimited layouts, made in virtual world.
FYI, along with material model railways scale, as N, HO, TT, this one is called here the V-Scale :)

#3 User is offline   BloatedBlowfish 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:11 PM

View PostWeter, on 11 November 2022 - 08:11 PM, said:

Hello and welcome, first.
Great story. Yes, for some people, charm of rail-based stuff lasts all life long.
Thanks for sharing.
Ahh, thanks for the warm welcome. 8)

To Your questions:
1. Not sure, is this, what You are asking about, but, when I verify my timetable actions (24-hours long) I create single-vehicle train with path, limited by unused short spur somewhere near the station, I want to watch, choose that train, and when game will be loaded - I press 8 key, which gives us two free-flying cameras. Both can be putted whatever You want to observe the "station's life" BTW, such special player train is called here "an observer" for being clear with its purpose. Such with its path too.
If two free cams are not enough, press 8 again: each time You do so - one more free camera will be introduced at place, You are currently in.

Else, in ACTIVITY mode, You can jump to any another train, either to watch it by outside and passenger cameras (i.e. by all, exept cab camera), or even take control on it, selecting, whether Your primary player-train will be suspended, or become AI-controlled, so it will continue accomplishing its predefined task without Your control.
So, You can lead mainline train, stop it on station, then take a shunter to re-arrange it, or another train for continuing an opposite run, or initially, choose to drive another train, which was not a player train originally.

TIMETABLE mode doesn't allow to control other trains, but You can watch any of them, as said above.
Switching to trains, being on other parts of route, You can "seed" free cams upon other stations/locations, but You have to wait, while scenery will be loaded, if those places are far away from each other.
First off thank you for the very detailed reply. Exactly what I was hoping for. It does help answer some questions that I've been trying to articulate without actually stating out loud. So IF a route has a timetable created for it, I can as you say switch views and watch. That is great to know. 8)

1A
Timetable mode can be applied to ANY route, because it's not a route feature: You write it's files and place it's specific folders by Yourself (or get some stuff, written by other authors and copy that to Your route's Activity/weather files folders.
Okay, so is there a way to tell if an existing route has a timetable already created for it prior to downloading it? Right now, all of the routes I have downloaded (as listed above) when I switch to Timetable mode nothing ever shows, which if I'm guessing correctly, means that all those routes do not have active timetables created for them.

1B
do You mean roundhouse with turntable? Some routes have hump yards with whole, or semi-hills. There is special camera feature for following uncoupled cars.
Try also fly-by camera - its amazing! Or camera, attached to parallel-cruising automobile, in appropriate places.
Not a roundhouse specifically, but I've done a general search on Google for railroad rail yards images and this is what pops up:

Rail yard Images

Some are certainly massive, but I think a major cool factor of Open Rails, or any train sim for that matter, would be to see the work done in these yards, from shunting to switching/dropping off cars for transport on another route, or just seeing rail yard engines moving cars around during day to day operations.

When some routes are within the same "installation" all rolling stock is common, and available for any of these routes.
Generally, adding RS is simple: just insert consist file with it to consists folder, while model's folder (and cab/sound additions, if they are common/separate) - to trainset folder - and You'll got it.

I've not downloaded any rolling stock separately from a route. I've considered adding in a new engine to an existing route that I already have installed, but it seems to me that it would need an existing consist to working with the route in question.

My question now: are You interested somehow in exploring routes from other continents?
I am definitely open to exploring routes fro other countries. Mountain, i.e., Alps, scenic railways no matter they are would be a large interest to me. 8)

Thanks again Weter for taking the time to reply and giving me answers to my questions. I appreciate you very much for that.

Cheers,
R.S. Barker

#4 User is online   Weter 

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:11 PM

You CAN swith views on any mode, either timetable, or activity. Refer to Manual.pdf with time.
Else, You can fly with 8 key-activated camera even in explore mode, rather drive Your train - for seeing any places of the route - whatever You wish (especilaay, which are far from track, on bird's fly height, on deep canjon under the bridge, or invisible from train).
By the way, this will show You, how the route is made, and allow to look for best places for virtual train spotting (here on ET there was sub-forum, dedicated to beautyful screenshots of routes and trains, so some guys are involved in hunting for successful scenes to "film" it and share with Community).

2. Not so
Let's sort it out now:
Activity was original feature of MSTS, because it's much more essential (after getting familiar with route's layout) to play inside some "scenario", depicting real-life railroad operations, rather just ride upon empty world with tracks, buildings and nature only... well, with some road traffic and functional crossings. To drive passenger trains, according shedule, to guide mainline freight trains through mountain passes, fighting grades, to deliver cars to local industries and pick other ones out to stations, or to shunt cars, assembling or disassembling trains on stations... Or some specific tasks, as train rescue, getting tourists for photo-stops and waiting then, or solving heavy-delay on route, getting pregnant woman closer to hospital for assistance with complications...
That's why original MSTS routes were accompanied with activities from their origin.
Certainly, new route building is totally separate process, than defining activities; not every author of route want or can deal with it, same as not every author ov brilliant, exciting and real-like activities is skilled route-builder. Majority of activities are downloaded and installed separately, with needed rolling-stock from other authors. Activities are created further, so new ones are appearing constantly for some routes.

Timetable is relatively new, ORTS-exclusive feature, still being in progress in sense of functionality and features (e.g. as selectable, 24-hours dynamically-changing weather, defined by an author, or other person), so, as with activities - most of routes are distributed without timetables, and You have to look for them on sites as TS.com, ET, or others - by Yourself. Search for "timetable(s) for X route"
So, if no any activity- or timetable-files - nothing to chose with this route, exept explore mode.
SCE Demo route model from openrails.org site has demonstration timetable in it's installation set.
BNSF scenic route got a simple timetable, available from TS.com

As well, routes, usually, go with quite few (there are exeptions, when good authors collect as much of prototypic stock as possible) stock, so be ready to get all You need more - by Yourself.

Consist files are often provided with rolling stock distribution pack (but if no automatic installation - You should move the file to consist folder by Your hands), and even if not - it's simple text file, so You can try and make it by Yourself, using things like notepad.exe (ask, if You have complications) - most simple, would be making copy of existent consist, rename it and replace reference on original stock (locomotive) by reference to desired one.

So, "railyard" is marshalling or sorting (as we use to call it) station, on crossing of some mainlines and industry branches, where cars are being re-formed from one train(s) to another? With car repair shops, engine maintenance and service facilities, etc. right?

#5 User is offline   BloatedBlowfish 

• Apprentice

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:36 AM

View PostWeter, on 11 November 2022 - 11:11 PM, said:

You CAN swith views on any mode, either timetable, or activity. Refer to Manual.pdf with time.
Else, You can fly with 8 key-activated camera even in explore mode, rather drive Your train - for seeing any places of the route - whatever You wish (especilaay, which are far fron track, or invisible from train).
By the way, this will show You, how the route is made, and allow to look for best places for virtual train spotting (here on ET there was sub-forum, dedicated to beautyful screenshots of routes and trains, so some guys are involved in hunting for successful scenes to "film" it and share with Community).

Thank you for the clarification. I'll have to investigate some of these options further. 8)

2. Not so
Let's sort it out now:
Activity was original feature of MSTS, because it's much more essential (after getting familiar with route's layout) to play inside some "scenario", depicting real-life railroad operations, rather just ride upon empty world with tracks, buildings and nature only... well, with some road traffic and functional crossings. To drive passenger trains, according shedule, to guide mainline freight trains through mountain passes, fighting grades, to deliver cars to local industries and pick other ones out to stations, or to shunt cars, assembling or disassembling trains on stations... Or some specific tasks, as train rescue, getting tourists for photo-stops and waiting then, or solving heavy-delay on route, getting pregnant woman closer to hospital for assistance with complications...
That's why original MSTS routes were accompanied with activities from their origin.
Certainly, new route building is totally separate process, than defining activities; not every author of route want or can deal with it, same as not every author ov brilliant, exciting and real-like activities is skilled route-builder. Majority of activities are downloaded and installed separately, with needed rolling-stock from other authors. Activities are created further, so new ones are appearing constantly for some routes.

Timetable is relatively new, ORTS-exclusive feature, still being in progress in sense of functionality and features (e.g. as selectable, 24-hours dynamically-changing weather, defined by an author, or other person), so, as with activities - most of routes are distributed without timetables, and You have to look for them on sites as TS.com, ET, or others - by Yourself. Search for "timetable(s) for X route"
So, if no any activity- or timetable-files - nothing to chose with this route, exept explore mode.
SCE Demo route model from openrails.org site has demonstration timetable in it's installation set.

As well, routes, usually, go with quite few (there are exeptions, when good authors collect as much of prototypic stock as possible) stock, so be ready to get all You need more - by Yourself.

Ah, that makes things much clearer. I certainly feel the timetable way would be interesting to play around with, but for now I can be happy with just choosing single routes and enjoying the ride.

Consist files are often provided with rolling stock distribution pack, and even if not - it's simple text file, so You can try and make it by Yourself, using things like notepad.exe (ask, if You have complications) - most simple, would be making copy of existent consist, rename it and replace reference on original stock (locomotive) by reference to desired one.

Oh, I hadn't thought about "borrowing" an existing consist and editing it. That makes a ton of sense.

So, "railyard" is marshalling or sorting (as we use to call it) station, on crossing of some mainlines and industry branches, where cars are being re-formed from one train(s) to another? With car repair shops, engine maintenance and service facilities, etc. right?

Yes, that is great description, which covers what a rail yard can do.

Cheers and thanks!

#6 User is online   Weter 

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:44 AM

2. It's more fun with defining and tweaking timetables by myself for me.
Then - watch, how it does work.
3. It's simplest way for beginner - allows to avoid most of syntax faults, as You are not yet familiar with file structure.
4. Don't know about US routes, but seen some european with larger or smaller railyards.

ORTS can show You Dispatcher's window - so You can see the zoomable map of current route with moving trains and controllable switches and signals.
Called by Ctrl+9 in separate window (use Alt+Tab to switch)

#7 User is offline   BloatedBlowfish 

• Apprentice

Posted 12 November 2022 - 05:22 PM

View PostWeter, on 12 November 2022 - 12:44 AM, said:

2. It's more fun with defining and tweaking timetables by myself for me.
Then - watch, how it does work.
3. It's simplest way for beginner - allows to avoid most of syntax faults, as You are not yet familiar with file structure.
4. Don't know about US routes, but seen some european with larger or smaller railyards.

ORTS can show You Dispatcher's window - so You can see the zoomable map of current route with moving trains and controllable switches and signals.
Called by Ctrl+9 in separate window (use Alt+Tab to switch)

Copying and pasting all of your great replies and information for future reference. I greatly appreciate the help. 8)

So I searched through Trainsim's files for Timetables and came across one for a route I have installed. TrainSimulations Scenic Subdivision route, BNSF. I installed following directions and boom, timetable was available. Cool stuff!

However, do you know if timetables exclude the use of Autopilot? I tried switching to autopilot with Alt+A and nothing happened. Is this a bug or is this an overlooked issue to timetable in general?

I'm hoping it is just a bug, given how much I think the timetable feature would increase my enjoyment of just watching a train or trains do their thing.

One last thing that I can think of as it pertains to timetables. I'm amazed that there isn't a text section included amongst the route notes within Open Rails (on the right hand side) that shows length of time a specific route should takes when it is chosen - prior to hitting start.

In any case, thanks again for everything.

R.S. Barker

#8 User is online   Weter 

Posted 12 November 2022 - 06:58 PM

Hello.
It's documented feature: as trains are being controlled the different way in timetable mode, no AP available. I've forgotten to warn You, however You've noted, that You prefer passenger's/observer's role.
Since that, create an observer train, somewhere at unused spur - where it won't interfere traffic, select it, then bring-up train list (by Alt-F9), from where You can select one to watch for, by six (right?) external cameras, or set as many free cameras (by hitting 8 key) as You want, along Your route. Then - enjoy trainspotting.

Most of my tips are taken from Manual, which is being re-issued every week, considering all new features, appeared in current (most recent) testing version.
Store this link:
https://open-rails.r...s.io/en/latest/
This is actual HTML variant of Manual, with search by keyword available (through top-left drop-down menu)

Do I understand You right, You mean the lack of time frames, given at the description field of ORTS main menu, where the route, train and path data are being provided?
Well, every activity contain in its description time amount, needed to complete it.
Timetable definition have got (relative recently) a feature to add train's briefing. So it's possible to specify time of action for particular train.
Either Not all authors use it, or their timetables were created before that feature's introduction... You may add it by Yourself with time, though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users