• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Telepole feature Could it be revived? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:18 AM

In working on a route project I came across the need for a pole line. Not finding anything that really suited my needs, I decided I'd likely build my own. This got me thinking about the logistics of installing lines in a route, which is generally a royal pain as it stands now. Then I remembered the telepole feature that Kuju tried to implement in MSTS. Admittedly, it was a half-baked attempt to solve the problem, but it did have some properties that would make line placement much easier:

It started as a set of three (likely procedurally-generated) poles that could be extended out to a limit (probably 2000m) and new poles would be spawned at a given interval (default was 50m). These poles would follow the lay of the land, and were to have wires generated between them.

This seems like something that would be quite useful to route-builders as-is, but I would prpose a couple features that may increase usefulness:

More than one type of pole line, similar to different carspawner lists.

The ability to move individual poles in the line somewhat, either laterally (to clear a crossing or get out of a valley) or horizontally (to clear trackside equipment or buildings).

The ability to snap to the ends of other telepoles, like road and track sections. This can keep individual telepoles from getting so long they cause issues.

This is just something I'd like to see in the future, but I don't know how feasible it is at this point...or at all

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:35 AM

Yep, it's a pain to do without some form of automation.

That's why I use WFH to do all my power lines. I put down JP_ Road sections impair those up with my power poles and Power lines. The advantage of doing that versus the kuju feature is that I can angle the wires to follow the terrain. Bulls and wires are separate shapes but use the same axis.

#3 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 28 September 2022 - 11:14 PM

View Postebnertra000, on 25 September 2022 - 09:18 AM, said:

In working on a route project I came across the need for a pole line. Not finding anything that really suited my needs, I decided I'd likely build my own. This got me thinking about the logistics of installing lines in a route, which is generally a royal pain as it stands now. Then I remembered the telepole feature that Kuju tried to implement in MSTS. Admittedly, it was a half-baked attempt to solve the problem, but it did have some properties that would make line placement much easier:

It started as a set of three (likely procedurally-generated) poles that could be extended out to a limit (probably 2000m) and new poles would be spawned at a given interval (default was 50m). These poles would follow the lay of the land, and were to have wires generated between them.

This seems like something that would be quite useful to route-builders as-is, but I would prpose a couple features that may increase usefulness:

More than one type of pole line, similar to different carspawner lists.

The ability to move individual poles in the line somewhat, either laterally (to clear a crossing or get out of a valley) or horizontally (to clear trackside equipment or buildings).

The ability to snap to the ends of other telepoles, like road and track sections. This can keep individual telepoles from getting so long they cause issues.

This is just something I'd like to see in the future, but I don't know how feasible it is at this point...or at all

Hello

TSRE has known for a long time and does not need a list file ( telepole.dat ). The "Auto Placement" function must be used. The repetition can be set in the window next to it. Clicking on the three dots will bring up additional setting options.
https://kephost.net/p/2022/39/263_2fdb10c1de75.png
The colonnade visible on the picture and the cable were also laid in this way. He puts it down next to the track, going from Pnt to Pnt. Up to several tiles in length. Also by the side of the road as long as the road is. You have to pay attention to this when putting it down. I usually delete the part of the road where there is no longer a need for a column. After that, of course, I'll put it back.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2022 - 11:50 PM

Hello folks,
What I can do with the auto placement is to put a row of telegraph poles beside a railway or road. Like this:
https://i.imgur.com/vcvHOWK.jpg
Probably you can make a cross country route by laying long road or rail pieces and then deleting them.

I still end up shuffling poles to make them line up with the cuttings or embankments along the route. Like this:
https://i.imgur.com/RH1qIP0.jpg
I am not too bothered about adding wires.
One way to do that might be to build individual poles and wires "snappable" objects. I can see issues arising with having to tilt poles where wires would go up and down hill.That is not very "automatic" though.
Is there another way to add wires?Perhaps something more automatic is possible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users