• You cannot reply to this topic

OR Spring/Autumn Snow Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:54 AM

FWIW for the routes I'm doing (seemingly forever), the matter of Autumn snow is a non-issue. But for one there is never snow but in winter and spring rain is the norm. What I previously did was put my rain textures into winter/snow and spring/snow for models and terrtex too and that's worked well enough. The development of a \rain folder conforms (*amazed*) to reality and I have moved my wet "snow" textures for objects over to it. I do not now recall if there is a rain folder for terrtex but if not, there should be. Eventually I expect there will be correct folders for all conditions and when there are the problem raised in this thread should go away. Spring\Snow? Look in the \Terrtex\Spring\Snow folder. If the textures there are not snow covered, basenote problem solved.

#12 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:57 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 March 2023 - 12:28 PM, said:

It would be nice if we got an official answer to this question.

We (ORMT) have looked at the code (RunActivity\Viewer3D\Common\Helpers) and it restricts the snow, probably to match MSTS. If you have snow falling, then you get snow-covered ground.

It would not be difficult to extend the code to support textures with custom flags (and forests and transfers). These flags would indicate "use me for Autumn Snow". After this small edit to the textures, we could then have snow falling in Autumn and Spring onto ground which was not frozen and snow-covered.

Do we have any volunteers to work on the code for this enhancement?

#13 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:43 AM

I'm not a programmer but would you not just use the Spring Rain code, rename it to Spring Snow, and change the rain to snow? Same thing for Autumn. Objects that have been changed to show different textures for all four seasons wouldn't have to be changed.

Paul :-)

#14 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:52 AM

View Postcharland, on 01 April 2023 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'm not a programmer but would you not just use the Spring Rain code, rename it to Spring Snow, and change the rain to snow? Same thing for Autumn. Objects that have been changed to show different textures for all four seasons wouldn't have to be changed.

I can see the appeal of this approach, but then the code stops being straightforward and becomes more complicated and difficult to understand. There are many, many workarounds like this in our code.

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2023 - 11:43 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 02 April 2023 - 09:52 AM, said:

I can see the appeal of this approach, but then the code stops being straightforward and becomes more complicated and difficult to understand. There are many, many workarounds like this in our code.

I do not dismiss your description -- you're looking at it, not me -- but will express surprise that someone bolluxed up what appears to be simple: Go to the directory that matches the activity spec, look for the necessary files, if found move on, else if not found search the parent and look again, etc., until you reach \textures or \terrex, do a final look and move on. Out of curiosity, what was coded?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users