• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterious Turntable Pool Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   HSBforMSTS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Post icon  Posted 27 August 2022 - 07:27 AM

I've been scratching my head for a few days about Turntable Pools. I have read many posts about it, but there are no solutions to get it work in Version 1.4. Maybe I can give and get some hints please.

1.) It's easy to forget the file-extension "*.w" when writing the pool definition, because other used files in the timetable and pool definition are named without their extension (paths, consists,...).

2.) If #storage is followed by #access according to the manual, OR 1.4 handels my pool not as turntable. The Logfile says ">accesspath< does not start within storage area", but for a turntable pool the accesspath has to start without overlapping the storagepath. In one post was the hint, to change the order: Do the entry #access before the first #storage. Now the Logfile says, every used path "does not link to turntable". Ok, it's still an error, but the word "turntable" is given. That's a step further, isn't it?

3.) According to the manual, the access-path and storage-paths don't have to be overlapping. They have to start outside of the turntable and leading away from the turntable in opposite directions. That the paths "not link to turntable" could be an reference-issue. For safety's sake it's recommended to write all filenames with "-", instead "_", if used. And better you don't use uppercase letter.

4.) And don't use an empty line at the end of the pool definition (*.turntable-or):
;
#comment;turntable-wer
#name;turntable-wer
#worldfile;w-005678+014942.w
#uid;4478
#access;pool-wer-access1
#storage;pool-wer-storage1
#storage;pool-wer-storage2
#maxunits;2
<--- here is no empty line! ---->

5.) Now I use the timetable-editor to store a train (named "loco1") on the path "pool-wer-storage2" with this #start command:
$static /pool=turntable-wer

6.) Ingame the locomotive appears with start of the timetable at any time and is waiting for service. To call the engine into service, a second train (my is named "loco2") in a new coloumn has to be defined in the timetable, or? As path the access-path "pool-wer-access1" is given. And my #start command is:
7:45 $pool=turntable-wer /forward

And here is, what's finally (not) happening:
Loco1 is standing in the storage-area. At 7:45 Loco2 spawns at the start of the access-path, going onwards to the endpoint. Because of the #dispose command "$stable" it stops there without disappearing.

But how the heck can I tell OR to use Loco1 out of the pool for that service?

Out of my Logfile (with comments):
Turntable File : ...\ACTIVITIES\OPENRAILS\turntable-wer.turntable-or (-> ok, was read!)

Information: Pool : turntable-wer : access path pool-wer-access1 does not link to turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
Information: Pool : turntable-wer : storage path pool-wer-storage1 does not link to turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
Information: Pool : turntable-wer : storage path pool-wer-storage2 does not link to turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
(These 3 errors doesn't occur, if the #access command follows the #storage commands in the turntable-definition, but then OR doesn't recognize the pool as turntable-pool.)

Information: loco1:Summer : no such pool : turntable-wer ; train not created (->"Summer" is the name of the timetable, but why "no such pool"? And I can see the train, it was created!)
Information: loco2:Summer : unknown pool defininion : turntable-wer (-> I'd like to say unknown word "defininion" or does OR mean "Minion" ?)

Can somebody give help please? It's for my self-build OR-version of the "Harz Narrow Gauge Railways", forther information on hsb-simulator.com

Thanks, Chris

#2 User is offline   Nevjo 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 September 2022 - 08:28 AM

Check if turntables.dat is in the right directory. It should be in ..\Routes\yours-route\Openrails. I had a similar case. Nevjo

#3 User is offline   M-M 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 November 2023 - 11:45 PM

Turntable pool is mystery box at it's finest but after 4 days of self torment with manuals, this forum and editor I managed it..... Almost

My testing is on the RGSv4 route (epic route for me)
OpenRails ver. T1.5.1-687-gd279e384a

Roundhouse in Ridgway
IDK maybe it's bug but when storage path and access path have 180(or 0) angle then pool and engine ignores [/direction=forward | backward] command and just enter/wait couple of seconds / leave... in case when desired/actual direction is oposite. When is desired/actual direction match then enter, wait maybe 1 sec and leave the turntable. Without error or warning or any message in log

Roundhouse in Durango
When two engines is on final approach in opposite directions with 180(or 0) angle then both of this engines ignore turntable and continue their journey until they find themselves at the same point of the route, stops and that's all. Again without any warning or error or any type of message in log or game crash. Just stay and chill together at one place.

Information: Pool : turntable-wer : access path pool-wer-access1 does not link to Turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
Information: Pool : turntable-wer : storage path pool-wer-storage1 does not link to Turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
Information: Pool : turntable-wer : storage path pool-wer-storage2 does not link to Turntable (-> according to the manual, no overlapping is ok?)
(These 3 errors doesn't occur, if the #access command follows the #storage commands in the turntable-definition, but then OR doesn't recognize the pool as turntable-pool.)

Have same problem. But for me, just delete and create new storage and access paths.

;
#comment;durango_turntable-or_K27
#name;durango-ttk27
#worldfile;w-012382+014172.w
#uid;1426
#access;DurTTA01
#access;DurTTA02
#access;DurTTA03
#speedMpH;2
#approachclearance;2
#releaseclearance;2
#storage;Dur_TTS_K27-1
#maxunits;1
#storage;Dur_TTS_K27-2
#maxunits;1
#storage;Dur_TTS_K27-3
#maxunits;1
#comment;anythingattheend
#comment;durango_turntable-or_T19
#name;durango-ttt19
#uid;1426
#access;DurTTA01
#access;DurTTA02
#access;DurTTA03
#speedMpH;2
#approachclearance;2
#releaseclearance;2
#storage;Dur_TTS_T19-1
#maxunits;1
#storage;Dur_TTS_T19-2
#maxunits;1
#storage;Dur_TTS_T19-3
#maxunits;1
#comment;durango_turntable-or_C19
#name;durango-ttc19
#uid;1426
#access;DurTTA01
#access;DurTTA02
#access;DurTTA03
#speedMpH;2
#approachclearance;2
#releaseclearance;2
#storage;Dur_TTS_C19-1
#maxunits;1
#storage;Dur_TTS_C19-2
#maxunits;1
#comment;durango_turntable-or_C17
#name;durango-ttc17
#uid;1426
#access;DurTTA01
#access;DurTTA02
#access;DurTTA03
#speedMpH;2
#approachclearance;2
#releaseclearance;2
#storage;Dur_TTS_C17-1
#maxunits;1
#comment;durango_turntable-or_Random
#name;durango-ttrandom
#uid;1426
#access;DurTTA01
#access;DurTTA02
#access;DurTTA03
#speedMpH;2
#approachclearance;2
#releaseclearance;2
#storage;DurTTS10
#maxunits;1
#storage;DurTTS11
#maxunits;2
#storage;DurTTS12
#maxunits;3

This is my crazy thing in Durango :D It's working perfectly..... almost

This post has been edited by M-M: 18 November 2023 - 11:50 PM

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 November 2023 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for sharing this great work's results.
Much appreciated.

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 November 2023 - 12:38 AM

View PostM-M, on 18 November 2023 - 11:45 PM, said:

Roundhouse in Ridgway
IDK maybe it's bug but when storage path and access path have 180(or 0) angle then pool and engine ignores [/direction=forward | backward] command and just enter/wait couple of seconds / leave... in case when desired/actual direction is oposite. When is desired/actual direction match then enter, wait maybe 1 sec and leave the turntable. Without error or warning or any message in log

Yes, that's a known issue. Have not yet got round to looking into this.

View PostM-M, on 18 November 2023 - 11:45 PM, said:

Roundhouse in Durango
When two engines is on final approach in opposite directions with 180(or 0) angle then both of this engines ignore turntable and continue their journey until they find themselves at the same point of the route, stops and that's all. Again without any warning or error or any type of message in log or game crash. Just stay and chill together at one place.

The problem here is that the engines are not aware of each others existance because the turntable 'breaks' the path. Also, the turntable is in correct position for both trains and so both would be allowed to proceed. Admittedly, I do not see an easy way to resolve this.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:02 AM

>I do not see an easy way to resolve this

And you should not.

In the real world, if this came up, the 2 drivers would decide who has the table first.

#7 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:57 AM

Roundhouse in Ridgway

Yup have the same issue and it's a known one as rob has already stated. In my case my turntable has entry/exit on opposite ends. My solution was to route one end to the next closest turntable node (see thread below)

https://www.elvastow...t/page__st__520

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users