• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New York & Lake Erie No. 88 Wood burning Winans? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:09 PM

Another "troubleshooting" video. Found a few mistakes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/d7/49/19d749e4d3bf49687e188fd198e55897.jpg

The Winans locomotive in this video is a bit different from the rest of the series. While it resembles a B&O short furnace camel (It was built from B&O No. 80) it burns wood rather than coal. The only reference I had for this model was a statement that the Erie had purchased engines from Winans, and that they were wood fueled.Made a ton of assumptions here. I reckoned that the Winans would have used a short furnace since it's closest to a conventional wood burning firebox. While he may have not gone this way, it seems reasonable he wouldn't. It wasn't his way. I guessed at color. Black seemed appropriate for the road (even their freight diesels were black). Since the Erie was called the New York & Lake Erie back then, I went with that.The "jimmies" No. 88 is pulling are based on a photo Tim Muir provided of actual NY&LE equipment. The cars seem to have been common. I have seen similar in photos of the canal docks of the Delaware Hudson. There were also Reading cars like these. Either they were a common plan or they were produced by a company and sold to various railroads.The caboose is what model railroaders would call "freelance". I reasoned a jimmie may have been used as the basis for a "conductors car". Because of the small size of the jimmie it was built from, this caboose is quite small. The interior view shows a very cramped space.

By the by, just in case YouTubes beta delete the song didn;t work, I apologize beforehand if any Who songs run inn the background. Forgot to kill be MP3 player during the recording.Thanks for your time.

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 28 July 2022 - 06:56 PM

Hi ya Frank. I click on the picture but no video, but the picture in a new tab.

#3 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:04 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 28 July 2022 - 06:56 PM, said:

Hi ya Frank. I click on the picture but no video, but the picture in a new tab.

DUH!!!
Works better if I actually provide a link to a video. Try again. Let me know.

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:36 AM

OK, frank, that's better! ;) An interesting locomotive, to say the least, in that the Erie chose to fire it with wood. As to colors, the Erie was actually a quite colorful road, with many variations of hues, trim and ornamentations. Have you ever seen the collection of contemporary hand painted loco profiles of Erie locomotives by William Halsey, at Southern Methodist University?

One example.

There are 81 such prints in their collection. They are very accurate technologically and the only know record of Erie paint schemes. William Halsey was an early rail fan, maybe the earliest known rail aficionado in the U.S.A., certainly an authority on the subject.

Attached File  canvas.jpg (859.97K)
Number of downloads: 2

Back to your video, thats quite an accomplishment in that train. Pretty neat the view from the conductor's car along the train, with the bobbing , rocking and rolling. Very medicinal to watch!

Can you show us the valve motion at work?

#5 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:24 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 31 July 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

OK, frank, that's better! ;) An interesting locomotive, to say the least, in that the Erie chose to fire it with wood. As to colors, the Erie was actually a quite colorful road, with many variations of hues, trim and ornamentations. Have you ever seen the collection of contemporary hand painted loco profiles of Erie locomotives by William Halsey, at Southern Methodist University?

One example.

There are 81 such prints in their collection. They are very accurate technologically and the only know record of Erie paint schemes. William Halsey was an early rail fan, maybe the earliest known rail aficionado in the U.S.A., certainly an authority on the subject.

Attachment canvas.jpg

Back to your video, thats quite an accomplishment in that train. Pretty neat the view from the conductor's car along the train, with the bobbing , rocking and rolling. Very medicinal to watch!

Can you show us the valve motion at work?

Thanks a bunch for that link Tim. I'll have to inudate everyone with glorious colored camels.

Here's a video of the valve gear in motion. I used B&O 65 after I saw an obvious glitch. Unfortunately all the camels probably have the same issue. One too many link bars. the bar that's floating around is the pin that the eccentrics hook onto.

The motion is only approximated.. Here's a clearer view with labeled parts

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/c6/dc/34c6dc61996be29672b9bfe4a4579c7a.jpg

The camshaft doesn't revolve with the motion. It's stationary unless the reverse bar is moved. That moves the rack, which turns the gear that moves the cams. Depending on what direction you are going that cam for goes low and the eccentric link can then engage the pin on the rocker. The cams are aranged so that you cannot engage both. I believe, however, that Winans had the cutoff cam arranged so the cutoff would come into play as the direction changed. He could also play with the cutoff itself to vary the valve timing.. The rocker could also be moved with the started bar, which was removable. I'm not sure exactly how it worked but from what I read it was always easy to get these in motion. The starter bar seem to be an override "switch" to force the issue.

Hope it makes sense. I'm guessing this is how it workinng based on drawings and accounts by camel observers and operators.

#6 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:00 AM

View PostWeter, on 01 August 2022 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hello.
Are all these five posts the same or difference?

All the same...Not sure what happened. I deleted four of them

#7 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:42 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 31 July 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

Alrighty Tim....Erie 88 restored to her grandiose period livery

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/6d/6a/0c6d6a3ab730005d2573ab95b8396d5c.jpg

#8 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:01 AM

Wow, she's popping now! Can you make a bigger picture, or close ups? It's kind of hard for me to see the detail, but it's looking much more interesting. :thumbup3:

#9 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 02 August 2022 - 11:58 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 02 August 2022 - 10:01 AM, said:

Wow, she's popping now! Can you make a bigger picture, or close ups? It's kind of hard for me to see the detail, but it's looking much more interesting. :thumbup3:

Hopefully this will work....

Attached File  Open Rails 2022-08-02 02-41-12.jpg (330.21K)
Number of downloads: 10

Well well, just found out how to add a GOOD image. Didn't know you could add an attachment to a post.

I think the poor quality is caused by Pinterest.. I've been using it to host my images.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users