• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baltimore & Ohio No. 235, formerly CENTIPEDE Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:58 AM

Number 235 is the last Baltimore & Ohio camel in the model series. There are others in production but they represent other railroads, as I think the B&O has been covered well enough.

There are "glitches" in the model. Yours truly forgot to update the engine crew to match the locomotive. It works out though, I'm gonna replace them. Don't like their appearance. The stack glow is too small.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/bb/fa/52bbfaef0699729e7410fdb78c44077b.jpg
Please note....The music in the video is not intentional. I didn't realize the video capture software was listening http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif For those who are actually interested I believe it's Emerson, Lake and Palmer
According to John White Jr in an essay for The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletin (October 1963) No. 235 was built about 1855 as a "cab forward" and christened CENTIPEDE.
Considering Mr Winans penchant for odd designs the cab-forward seems normal. The camels were peculiar in themselves, the CENTIPEDE just a stranger variation.
Despite its oddity. the locomotive was actually ahead of its time and became prevalent inn the 20th century, especially on the Southern Pacific.

The 4-8-0 wheel arrangement was the first of its kind for a Winans. who had a dislike for such "improvements". CENTIPEDE was the only camel ever built with a lead truck.

The engine was created as a passenger locomotive and at the time was one of the largest locomotives on the planet. It was, however, rejected by the B&O after test runs in 1855.

The machine languished in Winans' shops until 1864 when the B&O acquired it as part of an unguaranteed package with three other camels..Winans unloaded the CENTIPEDE for $10,000, $3000 cheaper than each of the other three.

Like the original 199, the original 235 had been taken south by Confederate raiders. The CENTIPEDE was likely rebuilt by the B&O and became the new 235 in 1864.

In 1867 it was again renumbered as 22 after the original 235 was returned to the B&O. As such, number 22 was scrapped sometime before 1884 when a new switcher became number 22.

I used drawings created by C.B.Chaney in cooperation with J. Snowden Bell, who actually observed the locomotive while it was being built in Winans shop, as a reference.
Mr. Bell described the feed pump as being driven by an eccentric crank, but I have followed the drawing and show the cross head connection.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/e5/fb/fde5fb8f2029432a206530ba8fc456a6.jpg

The locomotive is portrayed here as she may have appeared in 1865.

#2 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 16 July 2022 - 08:03 PM

That cab forward must've been one helluva ride!

It's great you're recreating these, Frank. It needed to be done. :thumbup3:

#3 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 17 July 2022 - 10:01 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 16 July 2022 - 08:03 PM, said:

That cab forward must've been one helluva ride!

It's great you're recreating these, Frank. It needed to be done. :thumbup3:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users