Elvas Tower: Paint.NET not saving the alpha channel as expected - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paint.NET not saving the alpha channel as expected I've just noticed that now, and I think it's not compatible Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:56 AM

Yes, the whole point of TGATools2 (or TGATools2A) is to allow you to edit the color and alpha layers with a program that doesn't support both. Back in the day (e.g. early MSTS), such software was not that common and it was expensive.

Today, there are many more and free-to-use options. That means you don't have to use TGATools2 if you don't want to.
Windows Paint cannot do a whole lot, but it works well enough for some basic things, and to Copy/Paste in and out of. I find it easier to use Paint and copy/paste in and out of Photoshop than to hassle with saving the .psd in one spot and then saving the .tga or whatever in a separate spot. But, that's me.

#12 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2023 - 02:19 AM

OK, I did it! Thanks again for your answers/help. :sign_thanks:

To be sure, the "Save / Export to .ACE" in the TGAtool-2A is not a problem in itself. You can open an .ACE and generate a .ACE again, or adjust the texture first and then generate it again as a .ACE, the quality remains the same.
A problem arises (sometimes?) when you copy/paste the Alpha (black/white image) into the TGATool, which often results in "low quality".
Note, I think TGATool-2A also uses Acelt by default, so I don't think converting manually via Acelt or via TGAtool-2a makes any difference.
Attached File  08-Acelt in TGAtool-2A.jpg (72.26K)
Number of downloads: 0

@Pwillard:
You're right, PAINT.NET is indeed very comprehensive, and is certainly more "user friendly" than GIMP.
(you just shouldn't forget to download the Plugins too..... found this out this morning.... :) )
Although MSPaint and even (from the Middle Ages) PSPro still work well, if you want to perform basic actions.

@Mrmosky:
As you can see, through PAINT.NET you can also edit the small 44x19 and regenerate it as .ACE, now with good quality Alpha!
Larger textures also work well, as a test a "Mirror-Cab".
Attached File  09-Blau Cab-switch mirror.jpg (36.88K)
Attached File  10-CAB-Mirror.jpg (75.87K)

The only difference is, as @Jovet also indicated, that the method is a bit simpler via the TGATool. Simply 'Copy/Past' the Texture and Alpha pictures, edit them in an image and photo editing software, and 'copy/paste' them back into TGATool, then generate an .ACE.

Via PAINT.NET you can use the 'Alpha picture' from TGATool as a mask, but you actually generate a new Texture+Alpha in PAINT.NET.
Obviously not a problem in itself, but you just have to learn how it works. (and as you can see, I also managed it in one day.... :D )

One more question just to be sure? I save the Texture+Alpha from PAINT.NET as a .TGA file, and generate the .TGA in TGATool to an .ACE. (or you do this manually via Acelt). I don't think you can generate an .ACE directly from PAINT.NET, or am I missing something?

#13 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 October 2023 - 04:28 AM

Well, the question really comes down to... "Do you NEED to still make MSTS compatible content?" If you are only creating Open Rails content, save yourself the hassle and just start using DDS format instead of ACE.Nothing will create the ACE files except for our ancient ACE related tools from the early 2000's

#14 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:31 AM

View Postpwillard, on 23 October 2023 - 04:28 AM, said:

.... just start using DDS format instead of ACE....

I see it, I'm going to try it out.

#15 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 October 2023 - 02:41 PM

Remember. You *WILL* need to edit the texture references in the S file to change them from ACE to DDS.

#16 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 October 2023 - 06:46 PM

And, as far as I see, *.dds files are way too bigger, than *.ace-files. Even after packing in *.zip-archives for distribution.

So, where and what was the exact problem with alpha quality, Roger?

#17 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

If DDS is bigger because it's better resolution.... it's worth it.

#18 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 24 October 2023 - 12:42 AM

View Postpwillard, on 23 October 2023 - 02:41 PM, said:

Remember. You *WILL* need to edit the texture references in the S file to change them from ACE to DDS.

Yes, I know. Thank you!

View PostWeter, on 23 October 2023 - 06:46 PM, said:

So, where and what was the exact problem with alpha quality, Roger?

No problem with alpha quality in .ACE. Only during "merging via TGATool" can the Alpha quality deteriorate. (actually import separate Alpha pictures/mask to TGATool).

#19 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 24 October 2023 - 05:21 AM

View Postpwillard, on 23 October 2023 - 02:41 PM, said:

I've never changed the file extension name from .ace to .dds in the shape file. I've changed the texture name plenty of times but not the extension.
If I find something I want to rework the textures of I'll open it in Shapeviewer and export the texture as a .tga or .bmp depending on whether there is a transparency or not. Shapeviewer does this automatically and saves to the shapes folder.
I'll open the texture in Paint dot net, do the editing and then save as a .dds to the textures folder using DXT 1, 2 or 3 depending on the type of transparency.
This will give me both the original .ace and the new .dds textures in the textures folder.
Shapeviewer and ORMG will both use the new .dds texture by default but TSRE will fall back to using the .ace. If it's an issue I'll just delete the .ace and then TSRE will use the .dds.
All of this is without editing the .s file.

Randy

#20 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 October 2023 - 05:50 AM

Well, as a side note... if you use Blender... and get the latest S file EXPORTER... you have the option of setting the S file TEXTURES to ACE or DDS on Export... so you won't have to touch the exported file if you use DDS.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users