• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Z" Path Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:50 PM

I was trying to put together an activity based on what the real railway would have done.

The activity started with the player taking his power from the engine facility into the yard, backing onto his train, backing onto the mainline, then forward to the station where he waited for passenger loading and the departure time.

The first two movements went as expected, but when I went to change direction to head to the stating the direction of the switch indicator didn't change, nor did the switch ahead of me. I backed up to see if that's all it was but no joy. Finally put it into Manual Mode to throw the switch and get to the station. Tried Ctrl+M to get back into Automatic and was told my train was no on the path.

https://images2.imgbox.com/a9/00/hJtwWCn5_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/23/f3/5ncQqFu0_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/b4/3e/v5LiMmrX_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/25/c3/jAAJE7qj_o.jpg

OK, after people complaining that Open Rails couldn't handle paths with more then one reverse point, it still hasn't been fixed.

Just out of curiosity I waited until the departure time and left. Most of the switches in the path I created were thrown, but there was also switches thrown that were not in the path. Twice The speed limit changed from 55 to 30 for a couple of hundred feet, then back again... that's when I stopped. Without being on the path, my station stop window wasn't doing anything and I might have been able to stop where I was supposed to to complete the activity, but no-one else would have figured it out.

Scrap this realistic junk and rewrite the activity tomorrow.

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:54 AM

I've use two or three reverse points in many of my activities that I developed. the one thing I've noted is that a reverse point cannot extend a path....what I mean is that, start at point a...move forward to point B where a reverse is...you cannot extend the path pass point A. if you switch to a second track then you can proceed to point C. Here's an example that I've got working now. I looking at the 50's or so Crescent. Southern arrives at Washington's union station on through tracks. The engines are cut off and the passenger cars are left on the through track in the station. Activity Start. Penn RR engines and several passenger cars are located on stub end in Washington Union Station. The Penn engines pull the attached cars out of the station to a reversing point on the yard leads. the Penn then reverses onto same through track that the Southern Crescent passenger cars are sitting on. A reversing point is located on the through tracks under the southern Crescent cars. once coupled the now North bound Train "121" (I think that's right, I'll have to check) can then proceed north to Baltimore and onto New York's Grand Central Station to complete the Southern/Penn version of the Crescent from N.O. to NY. I've worked up this activity...I just need to insure the traffic is all in place before releasing it....Using Vince's Penn RR V2 that was released a couple of years ago....

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:09 AM

Hi, nice that it's working somewhere but if you look in the bottom right of the screen shots I posted, once I get to the second reverse point and change the direction of the engine, OR does not change the direction of the engine or the switch in front of them. I tried this several times, even backing up so there were two engine lengths away from the switch, but nothing changed unless I went into Manual to throw the switch, the OR claimed I was no longer on the path.

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

View Postcharland, on 23 May 2022 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi, nice that it's working somewhere but if you look in the bottom right of the screen shots I posted, once I get to the second reverse point and change the direction of the engine, OR does not change the direction of the engine or the switch in front of them. I tried this several times, even backing up so there were two engine lengths away from the switch, but nothing changed unless I went into Manual to throw the switch, the OR claimed I was no longer on the path.

Which route, and can you send path??

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:20 AM

How far away from the red pole of the switch is the reverse point?

#6 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:21 PM

The first time I tried I had the reverse point about thirty feet from the switch. When I was backing the passenger train down to the mainline it hit where the reverse point was and went into emerg. I then moved the reverse point about 150 feet from the switch, and then the reverse point stopped working.

Any suggestions, Would be more interesting if I could get it to work.

#7 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:51 PM

OK, got that to finally work after moving the second reverse point back farther and farther five times. The first four times I kept getting thrown into emergency when the last car on the train passed the same spot. I looked like it was the center of the train passing the reverse point, but the head end of the train wasn't clear of the switch to get it back on the new part of the path on the mainline.

Thanks everyone. I'll run the activity again in the morning to make sure everything works.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users