• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low FPS in recent releases Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 27 April 2022 - 02:14 AM

One question, what I noticed in the later releases of the past weeks (a few months?) is that the FPS is now very low, in some routes it even drops to 11FPS......?
If I use equal route/train/consist in older releases (last old one I have from 08-2021) the FPS is much higher, definitely >35FPS or again close to 60FPS.

What actually causes the high/higher FPS consumption in the later releases?

Older releases, normal FPS ( about 35-60>):

Attached Image: FPS-42 older release.jpg

more recent releases, (very) low FPS ( about 11-32):

Attached Image: FPS-26 new release.jpg
Attached Image: FPS-15 new release.jpg

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 April 2022 - 09:20 AM

QJ-6811, on 27 April 2022 - 02:14 AM, said:

What actually causes the high/higher FPS consumption in the later releases?

That's a huge drop but it doesn't happen to everyone and every route or we would have heard a chorus of protests, I think.

I expect James will be interested to find the cause but it will require some detailed investigation.

Are you willing to help us pin it down to changes from one or two specific versions?
And is this a public route that anyone can use for testing?

#3 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:16 AM

I initially thought it was related to my changes regarding adhesion, because I'm still a little bit worried about the impact on CPU usage (I haven't noticed any FPS drop in my tests, but just in case). However, my changes were introduced later than the OR version in the picture (dated March 29), so this does not seem to be the problem.

I believe the thing that is changing the behaviour is PR#625, that changes graphics default settings. So nothing to worry about, the frame drop is caused only due to better graphics. Could you confirm this?

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:58 PM

The logfiles should be attached for both fast and slow versions.

#5 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 April 2022 - 01:04 PM

Good evening everyone, I want to take the opportunity of this post to report a riduction of FPS range on my route too... also.. (and I hope that the report is acknowledged) that the latest version OR_NYMG presents a reduction of graphic details especially in the distance, moreover, some parameters that supported NVIDIA settings seem not to work currently like the screen resize function on the Nvidia panel control settings that in the precedent OR version, permicted to me to regulate the sharpness by the Graphic card..!

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 27 April 2022 - 01:22 PM

PR#625

Changes default to checked for:
Dynamic Shadows
Vertical Sync
Model Instancing

I have been running OR with the above three checked for quite a long time now, but folks that have not will probably see a drop in FPS.

#7 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 27 April 2022 - 02:17 PM

I confirm that I have all 3 boxes checked.

Here is a confirmation screen relating to the decline in graphics quality with the latest release ..
Please be clear that my contribution is intended to serve as a contribution to improve the simulation ..

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR-1.jpg
  • Attached Image: OR-2.jpg
  • Attached Image: OR-3.jpg

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:48 PM

cjakeman, on 27 April 2022 - 09:20 AM, said:

Are you willing to help us pin it down to changes from one or two specific versions?
And is this a public route that anyone can use for testing?

@cjakeman. Of course I'd like to help. The route is my "own route", but can of course make a copy if you want to test it.
This route is indeed very "extended" (lots of objects, etc.) and uses the 10km view, although most objects are set to 2km.

cesarbl, on 27 April 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

I initially thought it was related to my changes regarding adhesion, because I'm still a little bit worried about the impact on CPU usage (I haven't noticed any FPS drop in my tests, but just in case). However, my changes were introduced later than the OR version in the picture (dated March 29), so this does not seem to be the problem.

I believe the thing that is changing the behaviour is PR#625, that changes graphics default settings. So nothing to worry about, the frame drop is caused only due to better graphics. Could you confirm this?

@cesarbl. Thanks for your link. The changes in the "default graphics settings" could be a reason?
My experience (route/ PC hardware/ Graphics settings, etc.) is that graphics [image quality] isn't a problem, just down at about FPS if 20 everything does get more "jerky" when you ride the train.... (I know, FPS a gauge, not always a guaranteed value)

I will test more in the near future, and then change settings one by one. See which option now affects this in the later releases. To be continued..

#9 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:28 AM

For those who are interested, some examples of 3 routes, with "old and new" releases, are attached.
And the OR settings I'm using now.
Everything can of course always be a combination of an OR-Setting (which may now react differently) and perhaps also setting of the Graphics card. (which have not changed in the past 3 years..)
Going to try "setting for setting" again tomorrow, obviously takes a lot of time. :sweatingbullets:

#10 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor

Posted 28 April 2022 - 06:37 AM

The difference is clear .. it's like it happens to me ... just try a version prior to 123 to notice the difference ..
Furthermore, I state that I have always used the same graphics settings for years .. so it does not depend on my graphics card at least as far as I'm concerned.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users