• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switching 3D cabs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 February 2022 - 08:07 AM

Not sure if this can be called a 'bug' as such, but it might be worth putting something in place to prevent it crashing OR.

In eng files that use OR 3D cabviews then the 3D cabview(s) are specified in the wag part.
In the same files an MSTS 2D cabview can be specified in the eng part of the file.

For a loco with front and rear 3D cabviews, if the MSTS cabview also has an MSTS bin cabview_rv.cvf then everything works.

If there is only a forward 2D MSTS cabview.cvf available then when you try to change 3D cabs OpenRails will crash.
Should there perhaps be something in place that will ignore the missing _rv.cvf when 3D cabs are in use?

#2 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:12 PM

Hi darwins,

I ran into your problem here occasionally and I think I didn't quite get it.

View Postdarwins, on 26 February 2022 - 08:07 AM, said:

... For a loco with front and rear 3D cabviews, if the MSTS cabview also has an MSTS bin cabview_rv.cvf then everything works. ...
Are there two different 3D cabviews for a loco in OR, one for the front and one for the rear? Maybe, but I didn't know that before and it would be interesting for me to know.
So far I thought that you could only declare one 3D cabview in the wagon part of the *.eng-file for per locomotive. And this one 3D cabview is then used when changing the cabview (Alt + E) to the rear 3D-cabview in OR as well.

... If there is only a forward 2D MSTS cabview.cvf available then when you try to change 3D cabs OpenRails will crash. ...
That sounds like the normal case to me, a 2D cabview declared in the engine part and a 3D cabview declared in the wagon part of the *.eng-file, between which you switch with Alt + 1.

... Should there perhaps be something in place that will ignore the missing _rv.cvf when 3D cabs are in use?
Here I get out mentally, because I don't understand the reason why the _rv.cvf should exist in general.

Can you upload the *.eng file in question here and give the version number of OR?
If the error is repeatable for you, the OpenRailsLog.txt immediately after the crash would also be helpful.

Greetings
Jonas

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:21 PM

Hello.
_rv.cvf has view direction turned 180deg and view point coordinates for rear cab.

#4 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:25 AM

Here I get out mentally, because I don't understand the reason why the _rv.cvf should exist in general.

Hello.

In the eng file, only two beams of light are possible that illuminate the terrain. Moreover, one of them can always be used. Like in a car. In the early MSTS days, only the dipped beam or main beam illuminated the front. You went backwards, but the light couldn't be switched, it just always shone forward. Another reason is the locomotives with two leading cabs. You couldn't change leadership positions.
This was corrected by the Patch released for MSTS. It was possible to change booths, and the area illuminated by the lamps also changed at the same time. This was solved with the so-called _RV file.
I solved the change of the 3d driving position in the following way.

ORTS3DCab (
		ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( 0.7 3.2 7.06 )
		ORTS3DCabFile ( cab_or.s )
		RotationLimit ( 10 90 90 )
		StartDirection ( 0 0 0 )
		Sound ( "M62cab.sms" )
	)
	ORTS3DCab (
		ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( -0.7 3.2 -7.06 )
		ORTS3DCabFile ( cab_or.s )
		RotationLimit ( 10 90 90 )
		StartDirection ( -0 180 0 )
		Sound ( "M62cab.sms" )
	)

The setting really does not require the presence of the _RV file, but it does to change the area illuminated by the lamps. In my experience, it's worth making a full 2d booth, even if you don't use it. It does not litter the LOG file.

Sincerely, Laci1959

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users