Elvas Tower: Improved memory statistics for CPU and GPU - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improved memory statistics for CPU and GPU Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 December 2021 - 08:42 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 25 December 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

Thank you for your response James. May I suggest that a simple conditional be added, where the case being that the O/S does not support/provide the GPU information you have coded, that line in the debug HUD is not displayed at all. There is already a plethora of information in the debug HUD, at least what is displayed should be relevant. Seeing a bunch of "0" entries might be confusing to users. Alternately, a message in the debug HUD for that line should be "Not Supported for you O/S" or similar.

Yes, once we're certain that the information is not available to anyone on Windows 7, I'll condition the display so that it does not confuse. I'll do some more research, but a second person confirming they also get zeros would be good.

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 25 December 2021 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sure that Windows 7 is the cause of the zeroes in the DRAM memory line. I have an old laptop, and I am getting the zeroes with Win10.
Logfile:
Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (75.29K)
Number of downloads: 184

Attached Image: Zeromemory.jpg

#13 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 December 2021 - 03:37 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 25 December 2021 - 01:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure that Windows 7 is the cause of the zeroes in the DRAM memory line. I have an old laptop, and I am getting the zeroes with Win10.

You might have noticed that your log file does not contain the message "Warning: Unable to access Windows GPU Process Memory performance counters." like Steve's does, which is because the GPU memory feature is supported on your operating system. However, there are some additional requirements (which I'll list below) before you get GPU memory data - and I expect that your Windows 10 unfortunately doesn't meet them. :(

You can check this using Task Manager: if you meet the requirements below, you should have a "GPU" column on the "Processes" tab (you might need to right-click the headings and select the "GPU" item if it exists). If you do not meet the requirements, Task Manager will not show GPU memory data.

The requirements for GPU memory data in Task Manager are:

• Windows 10 version 1709 or later - this should be everyone on Windows 10 today :)
  • Graphics driver that supports WDDM 2.0 or later - this was about 70% of Windows 10 users in July 2017, so I'd expect it to be quite high now; you can check this with "dxdiag" on the "Display" tab, look in "Drivers" for "Driver Model"

In any case, I'm going to update the code so that data which is not available is not displayed at all, since we are already doing everything we can to get hold of it.

#14 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 December 2021 - 04:37 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 24 December 2021 - 04:25 PM, said:

I will update the error message, since the instructions are unlikely to help in this case.

You should no longer see an error message about GPU Process Memory when running on Windows 7 in U2021.12.26-0036.

View PostJames Ross, on 25 December 2021 - 03:37 PM, said:

In any case, I'm going to update the code so that data which is not available is not displayed at all, since we are already doing everything we can to get hold of it.

If the CPU Memory or GPU Memory data are unavailable, their respective line is omitted from the display, in U2021.12.26-0036. Any errors will still be recorded in the log file.

#15 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 December 2021 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for that.
I've just started to scare, ORTS is about to become "for w12 users only"
Many people as theoldone, for instance, have no even place to purchase new hardware, but they deserve to use ORTS.

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:57 PM

I can confirm that the GPU memory is no more shown in my HUD. In fact I had already checked that it doesn't appear in the task manager either.

#17 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:08 AM

View PostWeter, on 25 December 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

Thanks for that.
I've just started to scare, ORTS is about to become "for w12 users only"
Many people as theoldone, for instance, have no even place to purchase new hardware, but they deserve to use ORTS.

We're not rushing to drop support for older systems. Open Rails has a long history of working well on older systems (and OR 1.3.1 is still available for Windows XP). I think it does a better job of this than commercial sims. The oldest system we currently support is ten years old Windows 7 SP1 (2011).

However we can't let old technology hold back Open Rails. We had to drop Windows XP because we needed MonoGame. At some point we shall have to drop Windows 7 SP1 because of a new but incompatible technology that gives Open Rails a good way forward.

#18 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:37 AM

Yes, that is well-known dilemma, but the fact is: the progress always goes in one direction (though, sometimes it can turn 180 degrees) the answer is obvious.
I only scared about what you said, Chris : a kind of immediate dropping-off support for older systems.
I guess, that after some years, computers become more cheap and easy-to obtain on secondary market, but for that, developers should consider that, not rushing for pursuing top specifications capabilities.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users