Elvas Tower: Consist editor sudden death, observed fails that are without explanation. - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Consist editor sudden death, observed fails that are without explanation. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:29 AM

Of recent I have re-tried the Consist Editor which is part of the TSRE executable.

I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions on a Win7-64 machine. I have also played around with the texture size in the settings.txt file for TSRE.

The results are not very promising. Perhaps unlike many, but that is not a given I have MANY GB of train shape/texture data. The TSRE program insists on always loading the shape and texture files into the 3D viewer whether the user wants it or not, as you cursor through the list of engines/wagons that you may have. This has several effects as viewed in the Process Explorer(Microsoft/Russonovitch):

1. A huge amount of private data (memory) can be created in a very short time.

2. TSRE "seems" to have a memory management system where at some inconclusive time, private data appears to be "cleared" and the amount of memory consumed decreases. This is totally random from the users point of view. Scrolling back and forth in the engine/wagon list will not change memory consumption, if the items are already loaded, but scrolling to an as yet to be loaded engine/wagon "might" trigger this memory management behavior.

3. The number of handles in the I/O section of the Process Explorer grows by leaps and bounds, and never decreases. I do not know if these are file handles or handles to some other kinds of objects. In my case easily exceeding 5000 before crashing.

Given the observations above, for some reason and without warning, TSRE just crashes and that is the end of your Consist Editor adventure. The 32 bit version will fail earlier as it has "less" memory to play around with. I have seen the 64 bit version of TSRE climb to 3GB of private data. These crashes cannot be attributed to lack of system memory as the computer in question has 64 GB to work with.

With the original developer seemingly AWOL, I can only assume that this program was not stress tested with a large amount of data.

There is one positive thing I can say about TSRE and creating consists, TSRE can be used another consist editor! You simply have to use TSRE as a Shapeviewer only. I find that using Paul Gausden's Shapeviewer takes up to 30 seconds to display a engine/wagon, that is way too long. TSRE loads that same engine/wagon in seconds. I do not know why Paul Gausden's Shapeviewer performs this way in Win 7-64, whereas in WinXP it is much faster.

Hope this information is useful to whoever may read it.

Steve

#2 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 17 December 2021 - 04:10 AM

Please don't get me wrong but this is what happens when the main Open Rails program is enhanced to the marvelous form it is now in, but the two major, indispensable components, a Route Editor and an Activity Editor are not developed.

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:49 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 16 December 2021 - 09:29 AM, said:

The results are not very promising. Perhaps unlike many, but that is not a given I have MANY GB of train shape/texture data. The TSRE program insists on always loading the shape and texture files into the 3D viewer whether the user wants it or not, as you cursor through the list of engines/wagons that you may have. This has several effects as viewed in the Process Explorer(Microsoft/Russonovitch):

Steve

Then turn off the viewing of the shape. From the TSRE-CE menu click "View" from the pulldown list uncheck "ENG View" (Probably should uncheck "Con View" also.). Then turn on "Consist View". "Consist view" is a listing column of the consist being created/edited. "Con View" is the graphical view of the consist being created/edited. Now there are no graphical views of either the selected item or consist.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users