• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTSDoesVacuumBrakeCutPower is no longer working Rate Topic: ***-- 1 Votes

#41 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 February 2022 - 01:25 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 February 2022 - 02:21 PM, said:

We're talking about 1.4 and a future 1.5, which is a minor version change. No breaking changes should be expected until we decide to go for 2.0, and even then we should not be careless with breaking changes. :)

As for messaging users, it is not a great way to deal with a compatibility problem IMHO and should be the last resort. I hope we've not reached that point yet.

(There's also a lot of issues to work out, such as how the menu knows you have an incompatible TCS script in the first place.)

Well, we know as script developers when we are using new functionnalities from the interface that were not present before. When we know that the minimum version requirement has changed, we add a message to everyone.

But nobody is using the modified AWS script right? It's only compatible with non-Stable Versions of Open Rails, so should not be included in any content or provided to normal users yet.

Well, nobody can use that version currently since the pull request was tagged "not for unstable".

The case that really matters here is a user with content that behaves in a particular way on Open Rails 1.4 upgrading to Open Rails 1.5: the content should behave the same way.

Well, that is what happens in the best of worlds, because, in the French community, everyone is using either the Testing, Unstable or MG version... because they want the new features. Content creators and users will never wait for a stable version.
For example, the latest French train was released with a version requirement for a Testing version and a corresponding MG version.
The next TGV with 3D cab currently being created is based on my personal version of Open Rails... because the content creator want the new features.

I'm sorry! I do read all messages (which is over 200 posts per week) but, in this case, I specifically took your "nobody" to include yourself, so sorry about that.

I'd be happy to look at new scripting designs in a new thread.

We still need to fix the problem in Testing/Unstable Version where it is incompatible with Stable Version 1.4 TCS scripts. Do you have a proposal for that?

Well, currently, it is not incompatible... since the pull request is tagged "not for unstable".

#42 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 February 2022 - 01:01 PM

View PostSerana, on 11 February 2022 - 01:25 AM, said:

Well, we know as script developers when we are using new functionnalities from the interface that were not present before. When we know that the minimum version requirement has changed, we add a message to everyone.

But how are you, a script developer, going to get a message into the Open Rails menu to tell users who have your scripts that they must be updated because of an incompatibility? Is that not the feature you were talking about?

View PostSerana, on 11 February 2022 - 01:25 AM, said:

Well, currently, it is not incompatible... since the pull request is tagged "not for unstable".

Okay, that's good for now, but what's your plan to update the PR so that it can be included in the Unstable Version?

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users