Elvas Tower: ORTS special visual effects - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS special visual effects Are these operational or in the planning stage Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:20 PM

View PostWeter, on 17 July 2021 - 11:02 AM, said:

Thank you Douglas. The last paragraph of your post above answers to me clearly, why I didn't observe any heating boiler's smoke, as I defined its position above diesel train's leading engine car.
But I didn't observe neither any instruction, nor any description/condition, that would say about ORTSWagonSpecialType inside of Manual. Or, maybe, I read it in inconsistent manner?
May I ask, from where did you learn about that?

Weter, Please refer to post#2 in this thread...by Steamer_Ctn to his web site. -- Quoted below.

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 16 July 2021 - 05:56 PM, said:

Firstly I would suggest that you try this demonstration activity.

This activity will serve two purposes for you:
i) Confirm that OR is working ok for this function,

ii) Show you the typical parameters that you will require to set up for it to work correctly.

From memory you will need to tell OR that this is a steam boiler type car - ORTSWagonSpecialType ( HeatingBoiler )

#12 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:51 PM

I used this "car" at the tale end of all the passenger trains that ran in the Winter on the Conn River route with no problems but what I was suggesting is Douglas might be better off changing his steam gennie to a steam engine with no power and that would make adding the steam effects easier.

Paul :-)

#13 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

To Weter and Paul .... ahhh..looks like I should read the posts more carefully...http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pardon.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif
...and Paul, I've never run or looked closely at the passenger trains in the Conn River, more interested in the early diesel freight .... looks like I have something to do, tomorrow.
Thanks, Gerry

#14 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:02 PM

Paul, please excuse me, I meant nothing disparaging about your models. I have a computer full of your creations, and enjoy running your steamers, of which DAR 1018 is my favourite. And thanks for ONR 701, which I am eagerly awaiting. Were you to spend the rest of your days making the entire stable of T&NO steamers,I would be extremely happy.

I've tried the invisio car in ORTS and have gotten interesting results. The most common one is for all the trucks (bogies?) to take off at rocket-like speed, and leave the locomotive and car bodies quaking on the track incapable of moving. Kinda reminds me of a Road Runner/Coyote cartoon.

Thank to Peter's excellent site and tutorial, I have the steam heat effects working whenever I want them for just a few lines of code.

The more I work with ORTS, the more I want to learn. I'm feeling the need to get in to 3D model building (I inherited my son's laptop with both Blender and Crafter) and route building (thinking of the short line Ontario Southland near my oldhome town). Not sureif I should go for it or lay down til the feeling goes away.

Douglas

#15 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:52 PM

Hi Doug,

No problem at my end, so what happens when you add the MaximumSteamHeatingPressure code do for the D-10? I used the G-2 model to make the ONR pacific, is this something I should add to it's engine file and where?

I was thinking it would be nice to make an 1100 after I do some more work on the route.

#16 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 17 July 2021 - 05:25 PM

View Postcharland, on 17 July 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hi Doug,

No problem at my end, so what happens when you add the MaximumSteamHeatingPressure code do for the D-10? I used the G-2 model to make the ONR pacific, is this something I should add to it's engine file and where?

I was thinking it would be nice to make an 1100 after I do some more work on the route.

I've moved stuff all over that engine file, so I've attached it so you can see where I put it. It's after the MaxBoilerPressure parameter, but I don't think it matters so long as it's in the Engine section. Harold put his right after Type(Steam) and that works as well.

I really would like to learn how to do models. I know steam locomotives are probably the hardest thing to do, but I would love to have a collection of CNR Moguls, Consolidations and Ten Wheelers. My absolute dream would be if I could do really good models of CNR 6060 or something from the U-1-f class, and T&NO 700. My dream locos.

Attached File(s)

#17 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 17 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Drawing a steam engine isn't too much harder then a diesel, just more bits to draw. The hardest part is getting the rods animated correctly. I'm still drawing everything in TS Modeler and their animation tool screws up once things get complicated or once your have a lot of different animations as you do with a steam engine. You end up doing the math for each rod and when you use the TSM tool to check it, it has rods flailing all over the place, check the same file in shape viewer and it's working fine!

Thanks for the file for 1018 Doug, I'll have a look and see what I have to do where for 701 before I upload it.

#18 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:35 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 17 July 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

I don't know if it's advisable to use MSTS style "invisio-cars" with OR, you can get into some troublesome situations with them -- OR's code is not receptive when it comes to them.

I agree, and I would strongly recommend not using an "invisio-car" as a means to get steam heating working, and in some instances will create OR operational difficulties.

View PostR H Steele, on 17 July 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

AFAIK all the special steam & smoke effects that Peter has coded are working, providing the files are setup correctly and the proper parameters are used. Peter posted a reference to templates and examples from his web site which are quite easy to follow and setup.

This is correct, unless somebody can show an instance where they currently don't work.

The steam heating and effects were modeled primarily to place an operational impact on operating within OR. For example, on a steam locomotive, steam heating uses steam from the boiler, and this will have an operational impact on the locomotive by using water and steam pressure. For diesels, it has been assumed that the steam heating boiler will use diesel from the main tank, so this eventually will also have an impact on the operational performance of the diesel. As a minor impact the weight of the locomotives will change as water or diesel is consumed. Steam heating is controlled by the driver in both the steam and diesel locomotive.

As an additional enhancement, steam heating visual effects for connecting hoses, and steam leaking from the train cars were also added.

So the recommended usage would only be to add the steam heating effects to the locomotive if it was actually fitted for steam heating in real life. If the train uses steam heating by the addition of a steam heating car then this option should be added instead and configured as such. In this mode the steam heating is assumed to be automated, and hence "continuously" on with no control from the driver.

If the "steam heating car" type boiler is fitted to a locomotive (typically a diesel or electric locomotive), then it will run continuously without any control from the driver.

#19 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:41 PM

So, my concrete question, then:
As I tried to test new-introduced special effects last autumn, some of them didn't become visible.
The only wagon smoke and diesel-generator smoke appeared without issues, but boiler smoke didn't.
I tried it on head car of diesel train, that is defined as a diesel loco, as it has driver's cab and Diesel engine unit with hydro-mechanical transmission to its wheels.
Question itself: have to be wagon special type defined for smoke to appear?
Whether

heating is controlled by the driver in both the steam and diesel locomotive

or

if the "steam heating car" type boiler is fitted to a locomotive (typically a diesel or electric locomotive), then it will run continuously without any control from the driver

Is correct?

#20 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:50 AM

View PostWeter, on 17 July 2021 - 10:41 PM, said:

Question itself: have to be wagon special type defined for smoke to appear?

Rather then me continue to operate on memory (which is always risky in terms of providing correct information), can I suggest that you run the activity suggested in this post.

If you still have questions about anything that is unclear from the activity, I will dig into my old notes stuff to try and answer the questions.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users