• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route extending Open Rails files Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for replying, I was just curious if it is known how to fix the sd40-2 model.
I am trying to program an editor for the clocks files. I have to read the JSON animated.clocks-or and the STF clocks.dat. So I just realize what a considerable effort is required for this.

Best regards
Jonas

#92 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Well, there's loader code and a converter already in Open Rails, so there's no need to write your own readers. In addition, mainline OR does not need support for clocks.dat.

#93 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

YoRyan, on 27 April 2021 - 06:38 PM, said:

Well, there's loader code and a converter already in Open Rails...
Thanks for the tip. I forgot to mention that I don't program the editor in C#. It will run (if I can get it to work at all :-) as a stand alone, independend from OR. It's more of a template how such an editor could look like...maybe just for me.

#94 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

Do note that we only accept C# into our repository, so if you choose not to use it, you will not be able to contribute your editor to OR.

#95 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

I am perfectly clear about this.

#96 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:10 PM

Ryan, I don't think that the SD40 issue demonstrates that STF is unreliable or badly defined. Assume you have a shape editor that generates loadable .json shape files. I could modify them, still maintaining the .json syntax, and get something that is unloadable. That wouldn't mean that Json is unreliable or badly defined.
By the way, do you mean SD40 or SD40-2? The latter loads here.

#97 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

Why is manual repair sometimes necessary? A very typical example:

https://msts.steam4m...ls/gantlet.html
https://msts.steam4m..._dbl_slips.html

OR does not handle this to date. TSRE is already yes but not complete. This is when manual editing comes in.
There will always be something in the situation that the app creator does not think about.
Mindig kíváncsian figyelem az újdonságokat, mert ezek viszik előbbre az Open Railst.

#98 User is online   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

Genma Saotome, on 27 April 2021 - 05:12 PM, said:

Consider, if the goal is to completely replace stf so that code can be retired, how long will that take? How many programmers? What will be done with people who don't convert or don't convert fully, as in some gets down this week, some next, etc. etc, and in three months his will all be in the new format?

. . .

I'm checking out.

Dave, I think the message has become muddled. We are not taking away the parsing of STF for existing types of file. JSON is only for new types of file.

Our policy is that "Open Rails will continue to maintain compatibility with content from previous official versions of Open Rails."

I will be publishing this and other policies on the Open Rails website shortly.

#99 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

YoRyan, on 27 April 2021 - 06:13 PM, said:

There's a backslash at the end of one of the lines that fools OR's parser. Just one of many ambiguous corner cases in the STF syntax.

If you decide to use custom fast libs for JSON loading, then different libs can treat this kind of bugs differently too.

I don't think that pointing to bugs in some STF files is any reasonable argument against STF file format.

#100 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

Csantucci, on 27 April 2021 - 11:10 PM, said:

Ryan, I don't think that the SD40 issue demonstrates that STF is unreliable or badly defined. Assume you have a shape editor that generates loadable .json shape files. I could modify them, still maintaining the .json syntax, and get something that is unloadable. That wouldn't mean that Json is unreliable or badly defined.
By the way, do you mean SD40 or SD40-2? The latter loads here.

The SD40-2. Here's the file that doesn't load; it's straight from the MSTS 1.2 update. I have just tested it on master and on NewYear and it doesn't work on either. It's possible you've already repaired your own copy.

Attached File  SD402.zip (12.14MB)
Number of downloads: 259

It's the syntax that's badly defined about STF, not the names of the properties. In the case of the SD40-2, there's a backslash at the end of one of the lines. What is that supposed to mean to the parser? Kuju apparently just ignores it, but Open Rails doesn't. Should we change the behavior to match MSTS's? If we do, does this break any existing OR files that assume our current behavior?

You don't have these kinds of problems with JSON. If your data doesn't load correctly in your web browser, then it's not valid JSON.

Goku, on 28 April 2021 - 08:52 AM, said:

If you decide to use custom fast libs for JSON loading, then different libs can treat this kind of bugs differently too.

Actually, they don't. There's one and only one way to parse JSON. This information does not exist for STF.

Goku, on 28 April 2021 - 08:52 AM, said:

I don't think that pointing to bugs in some STF files is any reasonable argument against STF file format.

But it's a file produced by Kuju themselves. It's not a bug - it was intentional. The bug is in Open Rails itself, a consequence of the extreme difficulty of writing a consistent STF parser.

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users