• You cannot reply to this topic

Build A Better Skydome - Terragen 2 ? Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 January 2023 - 09:14 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2023 - 09:02 AM, said:

For right now, I'm only going to improve the distortion shown earlier in this thread, while keeping the same texture and rendering

However, I am cleaning up the code as much as I can, so it may be easier to make further improvements afterwards

If you - or anyone else - are able to improve the existing "Clouds01" texture within the current Open Rails rendering, I'd gladly take it as a step forward

I would probably want to proceed (whether myself or others) in roughly this order:

• Fix distortion of sky textures - in progress right now
  • Validate sun and moon positions calculated from latitude/longitude/season (including horizon crossing time)
  • Validate brightness, colours, and visible textures (e.g. stars) for the day/night and three stages of twilight (dawn/dusk)
  • Merge the disconnected wind simulations (currently there are THREE separate wind speeds and directions inside Open Rails)
  • More general investigation of ways to improve the appearance of weather, etc.

Hi James,

This all sounds very promising and exciting - as this area of ORTS has been sorely neglected for a very long time.

Thanks for your efforts on moving the ball forward. I'll look at "Clouds01" this week and see what I can do. I'll add it here if I come up with something useable.

Regards,
Scott

#92 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 02 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2023 - 09:02 AM, said:

If you - or anyone else - are able to improve the existing "Clouds01" texture within the current Open Rails rendering, I'd gladly take it as a step forward.

Hi James,

Just a preliminary so we're on the same page - added custom clouds - increased res to 4096 (I can go higher) - implemented seamless tiling - added a 20 pix border grid to see how the file is tiled and check my seamless edges. There appears to be some distortion. The other issue with this system - since the sky is tiled - there is no way to scale the clouds as they approach the distant horizon (as I had with Terragen). If this is what you're looking for - I could certainly fine tune this - add other types of clouds - different weather conditions - etc etc etc.

Clouds01 Test File
Attached File  Clouds01.zip (14.57MB)
Number of downloads: 117

Regards,
Scott

#93 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 02 January 2023 - 12:39 PM

Scott,
These are your clouds over Open Rails HD Skydome #1.
https://i.imgur.com/XHeUqsO.jpgIt adds a nice lower cloud level.
Looks pretty good to me.

Randy

#94 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 02 January 2023 - 01:11 PM

View PostWeter, on 02 January 2023 - 12:17 PM, said:

14.5 MB for zipped(!) texture? Isn't that too big?

Hi Weter,

PNG's don't compress very much.

View Poststeved, on 02 January 2023 - 12:39 PM, said:

Scott,
These are your clouds over Open Rails HD Skydome #1.
It adds a nice lower cloud level.
Looks pretty good to me.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for posting.
:)

I'm still not sure of James full intentions - I think he'd like to remove all clouds from the Skydome and simply use additional textures - such as Clouds01 - for cloud layers? I don't know how all this will shake out but I'm very happy to see Developer interest in our environment. I'll gladly try to accommodate whatever James wants to try.

Regards,
Scott

#95 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 January 2023 - 02:29 PM

View Postscottb613, on 02 January 2023 - 08:13 AM, said:

I checked the latest development build - I didn’t see any change to the Skydome - would it be possible to share the fix you already have so we can take a look?

Sorry it took until now to share, the code took longer than I expected to wrangle

Any Unstable Version from U2023.01.02-1736 onwards should have the replaced sky code

View Postscottb613, on 02 January 2023 - 12:08 PM, said:

Just a preliminary so we're on the same page - added custom clouds - increased res to 4096 (I can go higher) - implemented seamless tiling - added a 20 pix border grid to see how the file is tiled and check my seamless edges. There appears to be some distortion. The other issue with this system - since the sky is tiled - there is no way to scale the clouds as they approach the distant horizon (as I had with Terragen). If this is what you're looking for - I could certainly fine tune this - add other types of clouds - different weather conditions - etc etc etc.

There will always be some distortion wrapping a moving 2D texture onto a sphere, and improving that comes at the cost of a bigger dome mesh (although it is still pretty tiny) - but, in my tests with grid+circular texture patterns, the new code is a big improvement

As for the clouds near vs the horizon, it gets tricky:

• You can flatten the dome (so the top is nearer), but probably still not proportionally right
  • You can try to deform the repeating texture so it repeats more frequently in the distance, but the maths is harder
  • Maybe something else?

I will have to experiment here to see if anything looks good

View Postscottb613, on 02 January 2023 - 01:11 PM, said:

I'm still not sure of James full intentions - I think he'd like to remove all clouds from the Skydome and simply use additional textures - such as Clouds01 - for cloud layers? I don't know how all this will shake out but I'm very happy to see Developer interest in our environment. I'll gladly try to accommodate whatever James wants to try.

The sky and clouds are already separate textures/layers and I have not changed that - the sky is a simple blue circular texture and the sun (shader), moon (separate mesh), and clouds (separate dome) are blended on top variously

#96 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 02 January 2023 - 02:52 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2023 - 02:29 PM, said:

You can flatten the dome (so the top is nearer), but probably still not proportionally right

I have flattened the cloud dome in U2023.01.02-2251 (available in a few minutes), which looks like it does a better job with the clouds perspective, although the "horizon overlap" is now significantly reduced (further work required if we go this route)

#97 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 02 January 2023 - 03:56 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

I have flattened the cloud dome in U2023.01.02-2251 (available in a few minutes), which looks like it does a better job with the clouds perspective, although the "horizon overlap" is now significantly reduced (further work required if we go this route)

Hi James,

I looked at your first upload - skydome mapping is PERFECT as far as I’m concerned - the skydome with clouds painted on the texture looks so much better. Thank You.

When I tested the Clouds01 in the same version - the mapping appeared different than the previous version - the old versioned seemed better. I only had a few minutes to play with it - I’ll do more testing tomorrow and provide better feedback - as I have to run out. I haven’t looked at the flattened version yet…

If you want to try any other ideas and you need a different or modified texture - please let me know.

Seriously - I greatly appreciate your efforts.

Regards,
Scott

#98 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 03 January 2023 - 02:57 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

Hi James,

I've looked at the sky in detail - and your "flattened" dome to display "Clouds01" is much better. It adds more of a perception of overall distance to any given scene.

One thing that's been a minor issue over the years - is we can't blank out the "Clouds01" completely using the [Ctrl] [+] and [-] keys - it's always present. As a result - I think many of us have resorted to using a completely alpha'd out "Clouds01" - as when "Clouds01" is present - it seems to reduce the overall brightness of the sim. When blanked - a bright sunny day seems more like a bright sunny day in the sim. This is what I run 99% of the time.

I've messed with "Clouds01" a bunch today and tried a number of different variations - and nothing I can do with Clouds01 seems to actually improve the look of the sky over what I can with Terragen (ray traced clouds) alone. Granted "Clouds01" adds movement and is needed if we ever want to see dynamic weather. If dynamic weather is a goal - we'd need a better system for handling "Cloud01" textures or multiple textures to implement realistic transitions and changing conditions. I realize we can add precip and such now via activities - I'm talking about using different textures or combinations of textures.

I've included more test files - linked below. A new version of Clouds01 (no border) - a new 7.5K x 7.5K light Cirrus Terragen Skydome (trying smaller) - and - a clear blue Skydome I've used on my system for years.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the textures - I'm more than willing to try them.

My Sky Test Files:
https://mega.nz/file...H4571jPxXAe4G7g

Regards,
Scott

#99 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 03 January 2023 - 05:36 PM

it seems to reduce the overall brightness of the sim

Hello. I have the same impression. Though Options tab offer overall ambient brightness slider, but I never used that.

we can't blank out the "Clouds01" completely using the [Ctrl] [+] and [-] keys - it's always present

What irritates me too, from time to time. Especially, when I use non-default clouds.png texture. (default one is able to become almost invisible, but not so nice-looking, if solid)

multiple textures to implement realistic transitions and changing conditions

Indeed: the variants, which are available now (to be selected for appear in game one-a-time), are well-fitting dry or rainy/stormy conditions, but are far not universal.
I mean, the variant, well-representing heavy rain clouds would look odd, when it made more transparent.
The other case - very beautiful-shaped clouds, causing nasty impression, when are being cloned all over the sky.
(too-specifically looking details, as hammer-like part, or turtle-like storm cloud - being seen everywhere)

#100 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:36 PM

Feedback: As the sun descends into the western horizon its diameter increases by at least 10x. The waters of the planet don't boil off as expected. :lol2: Hopefully an easy fix.

Does this work-in-progress presently apply to the night sky as well?

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users