• Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:01 PM

View Poststeved, on 18 January 2023 - 01:38 PM, said:

This is the edge of my world.
https://i.imgur.com/ZnitW9a.jpg
I use ORMG133.

Randy

You really need to add a bunch of tiles there and maybe some DM too.

#172 User is offline   Goldstar 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 20 January 2023 - 01:37 PM

Howdy,

The image in Scott's post #165 is indeed mine. The image was taken in OR T1.5.1-162-gfd249824e. I have noticed this issue before OR 1.5 and possibly before OR 1.4. The issue shows up with all cloud images including the default clouds01.png. The cloud file was one of many that I downloaded from this site, but those were all removed from this site shortly afterwards. I have tested this issue with MSTS Enviromnent checked and found that the cloud layer shows as it should, indicating that OR reads those parameters correctly. I have also tested this issue in an older version of MG (ORMG x285 Rev 88) with MSTS Environment unchecked and found that the cloud layer shows as it should. I would suggest that perhaps one could compare the coding between OR and MG and make the necessary correction.

Regards,
Peter

#173 User is offline   FS.E652 091 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:54 PM

With last OR Update, the Skydome Distortion is solved, well done Guys!

Attached Image: TEST1.jpg
Attached Image: 2.jpg

#174 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:57 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 17 January 2023 - 07:06 PM, said:

Does OR support bump maps? If yes, what is the shader name and .s file code(2)?

Open Rails does not support bump maps in .S/shape files, but the glTF 2.0 support (currently not in an version due to code conflicts) supports normal maps - effectively a more advanced form of bump mapping

View PostSD45T-2, on 18 January 2023 - 07:56 AM, said:

Something like the weather system for FS2004 could be adapted to OR. It seems easy enough to implement, and the results look good. Much of the issues mentioned wouldn't affect those of us on the ground.

The particular system shown in these videos seems like it takes a lot of artistic input to create bespoke models of clouds, which I don't think is a reproducible option for us, however, the sprite-based rendering is likely our best option if we want to go beyond multi-layered cloud dome textures

View PostFS.E652 091, on 18 January 2023 - 08:01 AM, said:

while on the wet effect .. in my opinion it would be enough to implement the series of textures " RAIN ", already being able to give this effect to rolling stock and tracks with the relative terrain, it would not be bad! I think an attempt has already been made to support them, but I never figured out how to make them work..

We support snow, night, seasons, and snow-seasonal textures but not rain. This might be interesting to add, but I'd prefer less distinct textures and more texture information on how to weather it (I think glTF will help here)

View Postgriggs, on 18 January 2023 - 08:10 AM, said:

I feel like I'm super late to this, but I've came across another way that might answer how to create dynamic weather. Railworks has a system in which route builders can specify a skydome model for each route. Some of these skydomes consist of planes in which clouds are textured onto, which can allow them to move slowly across the sky. Some skies also have multiple cloud layers, often consisting of different cloud textures that can represent anything from wispy cirrocumulus clouds to overcast skies. Depending on how the cloud textures are blended together, they can create live dynamic weather. I think this system could be looked into as a possible solution for dynamic weather. Here are a few example pictures of what these skydomes often consist of!

The plan here is to use multiple sky domes with different cloud textures so it seems very similar

Thanks for bringing it up!

View Postscottb613, on 18 January 2023 - 01:02 PM, said:

FYI: Someone on TS noticed an issue.

Attachment Open Rails 2023-01-18 12-49-16.jpg

I'm not exactly sure if it's because his route edge tiles end prematurely - or - we really have an issue with skydome and cloud shape coverage. I don't have any routes loaded with oceans or large bodies of water - perhaps someone else could take a look?

View PostGoldstar, on 20 January 2023 - 01:37 PM, said:

The image in Scott's post #165 is indeed mine. The image was taken in OR T1.5.1-162-gfd249824e.

T1.5.1-162-gfd249824e does not contain the final version of the new sky dome and cloud dome, in particular this fix so the cloud dome extends the same distance past horizon as sky dome

Please check out the current Unstable Version or wait for next Friday's Testing Version :)

View PostFS.E652 091, on 18 January 2023 - 02:12 PM, said:

I have a doubt. How would Open Rails interpret the Twilight and Sunset sky?
A support idea would be to add 2 other types of skydomes, transitional and therefore have skies suitable for those particular hours of the day, I myself have an example..

There are a variety of options, depending on which specific effect you had in mind

The blue sky can and does already get yellow/orange shading during sun rise/set, which filters through the cloud texture

But we can also shade different "sides" of the clouds differently by using some other colour channels in the texture (this is a bit hard to explain but since clouds only need greyscale before applying ambient and directional light we have 3 more channels available in the texture for other data)

View PostFS.E652 091, on 20 January 2023 - 04:54 PM, said:

With last OR Update, the Skydome Distortion is solved, well done Guys!

Attachment TEST1.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg

:sign_rockon:

#175 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:27 PM

Something I thought of is why don't we have the sky dome be for individual routes and not one sky dome for every single route and then having to change it every single time we want a new sky? MSTS had the sky be part of the individual route and not the MSTS game its self. It makes absolutely no sense to have one sky dome for every single route for the game as depending on where you are in the world the sky looks different. I think we should have 5 or 6 different sky domes.

It should be as followed is my thought.

1. Clear Sky
2. Night Sky
3. Sunrise
4. Sunset
5. Over Cast

I also think they should be able to overlap and change with the sun/moon angle. In the real world the sky, clouds and weather is always changing so why not in Open Rails as well?

Just my thought in this whole Sky Dome aspect.

Brandon

#176 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 January 2023 - 04:07 AM

View PostATSF3751, on 21 January 2023 - 03:27 PM, said:

Something I thought of is why don't we have the sky dome be for individual routes and not one sky dome for every single route and then having to change it every single time we want a new sky? MSTS had the sky be part of the individual route and not the MSTS game its self. It makes absolutely no sense to have one sky dome for every single route for the game as depending on where you are in the world the sky looks different. I think we should have 5 or 6 different sky domes.

If you want route-designed sky domes, please encourage someone to finish implementing the "MSTS environments" option

I do not plan to touch that here, instead focusing on making the best built-in global sky dome which can seamlessly do all the following and more:

View PostATSF3751, on 21 January 2023 - 03:27 PM, said:

1. Clear Sky
2. Night Sky
3. Sunrise
4. Sunset
5. Over Cast

#177 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:07 AM

Maybe a workable option to choose a skydome would be to house a variety of skydome (and maybe cloud files) in the OpenRails content folder, and allow the user to select what file to load from a drop-down list like a user chooses an activity. Alternatively, create a place in the .act file for the activity creator to select what skydome file to load when the activity runs, similar to selecting what weather and precipitation will be used at the start of the activity. And, to be really fancy, include the ability to transition to a different skydome during an activity using a weather change event entry in the .act file.

#178 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:58 AM

View Postrailguy, on 22 January 2023 - 09:07 AM, said:

Maybe a workable option to choose a skydome would be to house a variety of skydome (and maybe cloud files) in the OpenRails content folder, and allow the user to select what file to load from a drop-down list like a user chooses an activity. Alternatively, create a place in the .act file for the activity creator to select what skydome file to load when the activity runs, similar to selecting what weather and precipitation will be used at the start of the activity. And, to be really fancy, include the ability to transition to a different skydome during an activity using a weather change event entry in the .act file.

Better yet: A hierarchy of locations:
  • with the activity
  • with the route
  • with the open rails software

Start at the top, stop when you find a skydome reference.

#179 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

^I like it!

#180 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 22 January 2023 - 02:55 PM

This thread is really nice to see!

Is there ever any hope of more-realistic water in Open Rails?

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users