Elvas Tower: Trying to implement goods train behavior in timetable mode - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying to implement goods train behavior in timetable mode

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:19 AM

Hello, Robert.
Thank You for still being here and for assistance attempt.
Then, I'll type my questions here.
1. About $create, I think, yes: as freight train on siding never starts immediately after spawning - there is obligate time for brakes test at least (5-10 minutes)
As long as consist had a locomotive - there were no problem. Since I've removed locomotive, train is not spawned, and log-file contains string: "can't place train here".
I thought, that is because absence of locomotive, but else, maybe at specified time, the locomotive from pool is already at that siding and that is obstacle...
2. Locomotives from pool (those, which use straight paths without any reverse points-as well) reach desired sidings, but don't couple to trains there, and disappear in front of them.

For more detailed description (as I guess, the questions need to be more specific), I'll use Suojarvi timetable thread.
So would be grateful, if You'll see.

#12 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 March 2024 - 04:06 AM

This is interesting. Timetable Mode was created for passenger railroading, but now it can be used to run goods trains? How much work would it take to make shunting/switching in yards and industries possible? I've always advocated for doing away with activities and developing a work order system with the timetable mode. I just visited the Suojarvi timetable thread and it seems Weter has it working, somewhat.

Could this be used with a pure freight railroad like would be found in North America?

#13 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:12 AM

View Postshadowmane, on 29 March 2024 - 04:06 AM, said:

This is interesting. Timetable Mode was created for passenger railroading, but now it can be used to run goods trains? How much work would it take to make shunting/switching in yards and industries possible? I've always advocated for doing away with activities and developing a work order system with the timetable mode. I just visited the Suojarvi timetable thread and it seems Weter has it working, somewhat.

Could this be used with a pure freight railroad like would be found in North America?

Hello.

There is a 75-year-old gentleman, he made a 24-hour schedule in it with night reversing trains. At certain stations, cars had to be placed on suitable tracks, and cars had to be taken on the train from there. For example, at Siófok station, I take cars from the front of the train and place them on the loader, while the reversing locomotive at the station puts cars at the end of the train. But there is also the case where the station reversing locomotive has to stand on the end of the heavy freight train and push it to the next station as an auxiliary locomotive. Of course, six or seven freight trains run 24 hours a day. Maybe there are more, I don't remember exactly.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#14 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:13 AM

Hello.
The key problem, as I think, is with routes.
Each siding SHOULD HAVE UNIQUE NAME to be used as a location with timetable mode.
The rest is quite similar to passenger service.

There is a compromiss way, that I don't favor: placing a platform marker over each siding (including those ones, which have no actual platforms and used for non-passenger purposes)
Anyway, once the route's author didn't care about that, you, as a timetable's author will have to modify the route (siding/platform markers) in some way.

#15 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:19 AM

Each siding SHOULD HAVE UNIQUE NAME to be used as a location with timetable mode.

Unfortunately, this is a big problem in Hungary as well. In many places, Siding is used for loading tracks instead of Platform.

#16 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Fireman

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:01 AM

View PostWeter, on 29 March 2024 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hello.
The key problem, as I think, is with routes.
The rest is quite similar to passenger service.

There is a compromiss way, that I don't favor: placing a platform marker over each siding (including those ones, which have no actual platforms and used for non-passenger purposes)
Anyway, once the route's author didn't care about that, you, as a timetable's author will have to modify the route (siding/platform markers) in some way.

When you say each siding needs a unique name, do you mean it can't have "Burlington Siding 1" and "Burlington Siding 2", but has to have something unique for each siding?

#17 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:34 AM

The platform definition has a station's name inside, pointing the station, given platform belongs to.
This way, platform itself can have whatever name, from single digit to common "long up platform"
Such platforms will be automatically processed, according to their station's name in timetable mode.
Sidings have no station's name among their characteristics. Hence, they should have all the different names within given route.
TSRE helps to solve that, showing all sidings list, allowing to jump to highlighted siding and rename it. But again, that'll be the route's modification.
Copyright and compatibility sides will be affected. "Something 1" and "Something 2" are OK, if used just once per route.

#18 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 March 2024 - 12:34 PM

Passenger or goods, my biggest problem is that all the trains climb the hills at line speed limit. Is there any possible solution to this? It really is so frustrating - one method might be using passing times for non-stopping trains. Otherwise could there not be an "option" to allow realistic behaviour on hills for those who prefer that.

#19 User is offline   shadowmane 

• Fireman

Posted 29 March 2024 - 12:44 PM

Hello.

There is a 75-year-old gentleman, he made a 24-hour schedule in it with night reversing trains. At certain stations, cars had to be placed on suitable tracks, and cars had to be taken on the train from there. For example, at Siófok station, I take cars from the front of the train and place them on the loader, while the reversing locomotive at the station puts cars at the end of the train. But there is also the case where the station reversing locomotive has to stand on the end of the heavy freight train and push it to the next station as an auxiliary locomotive. Of course, six or seven freight trains run 24 hours a day. Maybe there are more, I don't remember exactly.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

That sounds like a lot of work. How long did it take him to get it working properly?

#20 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:16 AM

View Postshadowmane, on 29 March 2024 - 04:06 AM, said:

(....) Timetable Mode was created for passenger railroading (.....)

Wrong - that was not the reason. The format for timetable mode was selected because, in many European countries, nothing will move away from yards and sidings unless it has a timetable.
That does not just apply to passenger trains, but to all that moves - passenger trains, empty stock moves, freight trains, light engines, maintenance workings etc. etc.
Here in the Netherlands, there is a standard overall timetable for all planned workings, but there are daily updates to cover for any additional required workings, e.g. trains requiring to go to shops for repair, or released from shop after repair and returning to planned work. Absolutely nothing will move on main running lines without a timetable.
Most freight here is international, and incoming freight can come from origins quite some distance away (there is, for instance, a daily container service from China). These trains will have a timetable, but often turn up late at the border. To handle this, the timetables have quite a number of 'spare' paths for freight trains, such that a proper path can be allocated to such a freight train when it reports at the border without the need to create a completely new timetable.

There are a number of freight timetables for North American routes on Trainsim.com. Search in category "OR Misc" for timetables.
A very interesting timetable showing how a proper mixture of passenger and freight can be included in a single timetable is Rick Loader's New Forest timetable.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users