• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List 2021 Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

Well those that like curve speeds an some that don't that is optional an understand. Its a definite use for me an those I demonstrate to or students that want to have fun when I'm not around that I tend to write down Track Buillitins on paper or in Activity briefing Form A speed restrictions etc. If they exceed a speed I set especially at a curve speed between mileposts it pops up in the evaluation an I know what they did because I test activities before I release an write down those partial curve speeds exceeded related to my equipment physics an settings as those messages tell me the recommended speed. Funny enough radio as a dispatcher as activity events into recordings.

Yea Curve speeds is not for everyone, every route, every equipment or everyone's efforts to fix track sections or ENG/WAG unbalanced speed parameters. If it's a issue to me I just fix the routes curve section if minor enough or just fix the effected stocks parameter settings. I have been building a big route an I sure make test runs over curves at there speed limits or switch turnouts. If most my test stock throughout train gets a curve speed exceeded under the speed limit set I fix the curve or put a temporary speed limit since ORTS doesn't yet support set restricted speeds an variable flags... if few stocks trigger curve speed I just tweak that/those stocks balance speeds or COG settings or keep them bad ordered for intentional purposes etc.

It's best to know the curve radius by heart then you know what's the curve speed limit is. But hey I'm sure some want that message hidden but show up in the evaluations. The Evaluation an track monitor need adjustments for more effects an warnings. I don't need visual derailments but it would be best to indicate what car has derailed by broken coupler an in track monitor the uncoupled car turns Red like dead-end tracks or switch against you where you can't make hooks or go through switch.

But there is another thing or bug that I can call useless seeing but not always looking at the bogies an wheels all the time but ORTS sure derail vibrates already visually even while stopped.

#62 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:44 PM

I love 'em and hate 'em too.

For starters I'll wager there are a whole lot of routes out there where the route builder had absolutely no idea what the "right" speed would be so he picked something that felt about right but was certainly faster than whatever the programmatic speed turned out to be. Then there are those locations he never considered -- the diverging route at track switches. Take the 03d for instance. That shape is roughly the same as a US number 10 switch. A #10 has a speed limit of 20mph. I'll bet there are very, very few routes that have 20mph assigned to that diverging path.

So to some degree the upset written into this thread is the sound of the friction occurring by our expectations resisting movement to what should have been in the first place.

That said then there is this alternative: I need to check something but the start of the only path is 5 miles away (or more) from what I need to see. For the love of life, JUST GET ME THERE AND FORGET ABOUT THIS SIM BUSINESS. That's a legitimate beef.

#63 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:51 PM

Another pet peeve of mine (which is more of a RailDriver problem rather than an OR problem) is that when running steam engines, the reverser never goes to exactly 0 (Neutral) when you move the reverser handle to the center detent. Makes cab changing and turntable operation a pain in the butt unless you turn off RailDriver and manually move the reverser to 0 with the S or W keys. Not sure if this is something that could be remedied in the future...

#64 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:08 PM

Since we have Ctrl+A to set throttle to zero or other combination for airbrake's lever, why don't we ask for the similar measure for notchless reverse controls of steamers?
Sure, we can.

#65 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:58 PM

How about we finally get rid of that "Urth of the New Sun" ball in the sky...looks more like a incoming comet on a path to a global extinction event! Maybe someone can volunteer to make a more realistic Sun. Come to think of it, I cannot find a sun map in the Content folder...where is that thing at?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 12-42-05-372.jpg

#66 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:52 PM

Color changing of the sun is possible in the skyshader. I always copy an paste it as well as skydome an clouds in content folder after each update.

Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 15-45-28-133.jpg
Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 15-44-30-108.jpg
Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 15-47-03-464.jpg
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/155089264_3680138255427105_6476430523011678079_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3adGkJY_1GsAX9dXgTJ&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=a7bf623d2945b441fb591fafb47e7ab5&oe=6066EC9D

#67 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

ATW, on 05 March 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Color changing of the sun is possible in the skyshader. I always copy an paste it as well as skydome an clouds in content folder after each update.

Well, color is a consideration, however, it is the size and aspect that is totally unrealistic!

#68 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

How big do you want it Gerry?

Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 17-32-57-968.jpg
Attached Image: bandicam 2021-03-05 17-33-38-868.jpg

#69 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:54 PM

You misunderstand...it is too big to begin with...and is rendered so that it "looms' in the sky. The apparent size of the sun to an observer on earth does not change during the day ( an effective refutation of the noodle brained flat earth theory ) --- however, at sunrise or sunset it appears larger due to the reference point of the horizon. We lack that optical illusion in the simulator...or maybe to my eye it is not rendered effectively. I just have the opinion that the sun is too large for the scale of the simulator.

Not a big deal, perhaps I'm being too picky, I shouldn't be looking directly at the sun anyway...maybe I fried my circuits!
One other thing...DO NOT get me started on that awful vast pink/magenta sky that follows the "rarely" seen flash of green (a blast of green in the sim).

Your horizon shots are not objectionable...a touch too large???

#70 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:30 PM

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun... but that's apparently where the fun is... ;)

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users