• You cannot reply to this topic

WIshes for Steam Locomotive advancement Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:26 AM

ATSF3751, on 26 January 2021 - 08:24 AM, said:

Another thought I had but this is for Sound. We have the Blowdown feature now but no sound can be admitted from it when you push the button.

Brandon

Hi Folks,

OH DANG - I just rigged up the newly found effect for Blowdowns - - - I didn't realize we don't have an associated sound capability - this renders the feature not very useful.

Concur - hope this is fixed.

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

#92 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

Another thing I've noticed is that when you use the bail off function on the engine brake, it doesn't affect the tender brakes like it does in the real world. Hopefully this can be fixed in the future.

#93 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

scottb613, on 26 January 2021 - 10:26 AM, said:

OH DANG - I just rigged up the newly found effect for Blowdowns - - - I didn't realize we don't have an associated sound capability - this renders the feature not very useful.

As far as I am aware sounds are working for the steam blowdowns. I have just checked my demonstration model and all appears ok.

Download H6a Consolidation - #1499 and check that it is working for you. Then use the sms files as a guide to setting up your model.

darwins, on 26 January 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

The safety valve capacity is given as 32351 lb/h of steam which at 225 psi corresponds to 7441 Btu/s. By default OR gives me 2x 2.5 in safety valves - I don't have the actual figure for this loco, but a design of similar size had 2x 3in Ross 'pop' safety valves.
That value seems good for this boiler - I would estimate the maximum possible evaporation to be 28492 lb/h which corresponds to 6553 Btu/s.
Thanks for confirming the prototypical information.

darwins, on 26 January 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

ORTSBurnRate( 0 6 4752 590 9107 1180 13066 1770 16628 2360 19794 2950 22563 3540 24963 4130 26912 4720 28492 5310 29675 5900 )

So why the difference between 7441 Btu/s and 5132 Btu/s?

The curve is developed based upon test reports, and effectively is an "average" value. The instantaneous value can exceed the average value for short periods of time.

For example, if a train travels between A and B which are 100 miles apart in an hour, then we can say that the train speed between the two cities was 100mph.
In reality, the train may slow down as it climbs a high, and speed up as it goes down a hill, so its instantaneous value will vary within the one hour time period.

In order to more effectively manage this discussion about safety valves, I have separated out this topic to a new thread, so if anybody has any relevant comments in regard to this ongoing conversation, then please post them there, otherwise general comments and wish list items should continue to be posted in this thread.

#94 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

The instantaneous value can exceed the average value for short periods of time.

The question then becomes by how much and for how long? We are looking at a 50% increase in heat being absorbed by the boiler in the case above. The time frame is not clear - but that will be part of the fire investigation proposed in the new thread.

Another thing I've noticed is that when you use the bail off function on the engine brake, it doesn't affect the tender brakes like it does in the real world. Hopefully this can be fixed in the future.

I think that has come up in the thread on improving braking. It has certainly come up in my own discussion with Peter and Cesar. The whole area of independent locomotive brakes is in need of overhaul when the development team are ready for a major challenge.

#95 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:16 PM

There's a feature that I have thought about, but I am unsure if it's of any practical use in the sim: Ashpan Accumulation and its Effects on Combustion.

As we are all aware, burning solid fuel--either coal or wood--means a lot of residue and ash collects in the ashpan underneath the grates. Since most of the air for proper combustion has to come up through the grates, it has to enter by means of the seam between the ashpan and mud ring (and the dampers if so equipped). Unfortunately, the ash accumulation in the ashpan restricts this airflow, hampering combustion. If the ashpan ever becomes completely full, then it becomes a major problem. It was so important to keep the ashpan clean that ashpan capacity was an often limiting factor in long-distance locomotive runs. Therefore, whenever a locomotive retreated to the engine terminal after finishing a run, the ashes were dumped over an ash pit at the earliest possible opportunity.

For implementation in OR, here's how I envision the functionality:

-As the locomotive is operated, and the fuel in the firebox is "burned," the ash accumulation in the ashpan slowly but surely increases. This is dependent on parameters and specifications such as the ash content in the fuel being burned (set this parameter to 0 to disable the function), locomotive ashpan capacity, grate area, etc.
-As the ash accumulation reaches 100% (less if the dampers are open), fuel combustion and engine performance degrades noticeably, and the ashes need to be dumped to resume normal combustion.
-An ash pit would be defined as an interactive object similar to a water column or coaling tower but in a reverse manner. (Instead of being used for dispensing water or coal, it is used for disposal of ashes.) All the player has to do to dump the ashes is stop the locomotive with its ashpan over the pit and press the T key, and the ash accumulation drops back to 0%.

Does this make sense to anybody?

#96 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

I like the idea of accumulation of ash (and clinker if coal quality is low). I hope we will be able to add them. Ash in the ash pan, clinker on the grate, soot in the tubes, char in the smoke box - all cause the loco to clog up over time and work less efficiently at the end of a long run than at the start. Those are fairly linear from the start of a run till the end - but you might be taking over a loco that had already travelled a long way.

#97 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

I have thought about this and also something to consider is maintenance on all locomotives to be incorporated over time. A steam locomotive can only run about 100 Miles or so until it needs to be lubricated, ash pan cleaned out, and other adjustments.

It would sure be nice to have some sort of monitor so you could keep an eye on it and a way to clean everything out and lubricate everything. Then if you don't something goes wrong with the locomotive.

Same thing could be done for diesels and electric locomotives as well. one aspect I have thought about in great detail is if there was a way to keep track of actual miles a locomotive in the game is being run. That way you could do regular maintenance on them or have them go to the maintenance shop for light or heavy repairs if needed.

One more thing I thought about is in America and Canada many late steam locomotives had both roller bearings and friction bearings on them. Usually the main drivers were roller but everything else was friction bearing. Railroads did this mainly to save on cost when building the locomotives. Especially during WW1 and WW2.

Brandon

#98 User is online   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:48 PM

Here in the UK the Flying Scotsman train had a non-stop run of over 300 miles, in fact it was almost 400 miles.

#99 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:09 AM

Yes that is true but there are a few factors for it to be able to achieve that.

One that it was carrying it a fairly light load and also for it to be on mainly level track unlike here in North America.

Another factor was that it had water troffs along the ways so it could pick up water along the way at speed. In North America that was fairly rare and only really found on the East Coast where there was fast running.

The Scotsman also did not have to deal with mountain grades and the heavy loads that the North American steam locomotives had to deal with.

Our rail, freight trains and passenger trains are quite a bit heavier then in the UK as well.

Brandon

#100 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:32 AM

In Hungary, the train stood more at the larger stations. During this, water was poured into the car, and the heater peeled fire. He lowered the slag into the ashtray, which he emptied at the terminal. There were stations where he also tried the ashtray. There, station workers later cleared the slag.
Sorry, if you don't understand, Google will translate.

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users