• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WIshes for Steam Locomotive advancement Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:03 AM

I doubt we do but I do work on Milwaukee Road 261. I have many connections where I could get any info that others may need. I do know that the 261 safety valves are set at different pressures so they do not go off all at once.

Brandon

#42 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:01 AM

Wrt oil firing, there were 2 jets. The small acted all the time (idle) the large turned on, when need to raise steam or support large outputs.

#43 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:06 AM

Another thing to keep in mind that many late steam locomotives had steam jets for the Fire along with water jets to clean the ash pan. The Milwaukee Road 261 is equipped with both of these features.

Brandon

#44 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

I doubt we do but I do work on Milwaukee Road 261. I have many connections where I could get any info that others may need. I do know that the 261 safety valves are set at different pressures so they do not go off all at once.

I am so glad you mentioned that. I am sure that I read somewhere that was the arrangement on the LMS pacifics. They had four pop safety valves, if I remember correctly it said that one lifted first, then another, with the last two lifting when it hit max pressure. I have not since found the source and was just beginning to think that I had imagined it.

I shall put some feelers out amongst my connections too and let us see what comes up. I am a volunteer on a heritage line, but spend my time greasing fishplates, shovelling ballast and banging in keys, with the odd bit of repairing dry stone walls thrown in for good measure. Climbing on engines or riding on them is a bit of a luxury for me.

#45 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

Sounds good. If I am not mistaken they are spring loaded and set at different pressures. When the locomotive reaches the pressure it is set at it goes off. I know the 261 also has 4 of them. The locomotive is operated at 250 PSI so I believe the first one is set at 251 PSI then the next at 253 PSI with the last 2 going off at 255 PSI or close to that. I can double check though.

We would need to set it up so they are set in the Eng file so you can set them to the desired point.

Brandon

#46 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:22 AM

Hi Folks,

That was my understanding as well - multiple valves - different pressure settings.

Here's a video showing only one blowing and what appears to be two more sitting idle.

https://youtu.be/c26fl-TXD9o

Regards,
Scott

#47 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

NickonWheels, on 21 January 2021 - 04:14 AM, said:

Oil-firing is mo different from coal or wood firing except of cource higher energy content and also mechanical assistance to get it into the firebox; this is one case where is 'stoker' really needs to run all the time.

And don´t forget better definition of wheel arrangement/diameter.

What I meant was defining a completely new control scheme specifically for oil burning locomotives. Something like this:

Increase Oil Feed Rate: R
Decrease Oil Feed Rate: SHIFT-R
Increase Atomizer: F
Decrease Atomizer: SHIFT-F
Increase Damper Opening: M
Decrease Damper Opening: SHIFT-M
Increase Blower: N
Decrease Blower: SHIFT-N

This reminds me--in the US, not all coal burning engines had dampers. And unlike in the UK, where firemen were encouraged to leave the fire door open to allow secondary air flow, US firemen were discouraged from having the fire door open for any extended period of time due to thermal shock and/or "chilling" the boiler.

ATSF3751, on 22 January 2021 - 06:03 AM, said:

Brandon

I think that is true for all locomotives. All locomotives have at least 2 safety valves, all of which are set to go off at progressively higher pressures.

#48 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

Very true! UK and US firing were different in many ways if you look at old rule books.

#49 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

I just tested the oil-fired FRISCO 4-8-2 (19000BTU/lb) and it did consume less 'coal' than the T1. Though two bugs remain with coal consumption

-No consumption when throttle is closed
-HUD burn/feed rate section values don´t reflect actual usage, at least outside the throttle-closed issue

#50 User is offline   trainzman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

More steam locomotives

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users