• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems with Ozark Northern Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:11 PM

I recently downloaded the Ozark Northern from V Scale Creations. The first part downloads fine, and installs to Open Rails (c:\OpenRails) without any problems. The second part of the download has no content, or does not extract any content. I had a conversation with Andre Ming, and both of us are stumped as to why this would happen. Andre suggested I post on the forum. He's sure someone here has a solution.

I have tried the downloads with firewalls and anti-virus turned off. I have extracted the archives using WinRAR, 7zip and Windows Explorer. I have run the .exe as an administrator. I have rebooted my computer and run the setup as an administrator. I have run the setup files in compatibility mode for XP and Windows 7. Nothing has worked so far, and Andre and I are out of ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to extract the files and get them installed?

Douglas

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:59 PM

Hi Douglas,

I have v scales A&O and use it all of the time.
I have never had a problem with any of Andre's stuff.

Your machine however is having multiple problems?

Have you tried downloading again?
Do you have another computer in the house that you could try unpacking the files on?

#3 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:30 AM

Even with your AV turned off, the download may have files that are being flagged as suspicious due to some file name or similiar signature. Is the AV being disabled only during the download process or while you are unzipping also? My AV issues a warning about suspicious file and permits an over-riding of the block file. You are receiving no warning? When you view the download, is the file size zero? If you are using Windows 10, perhaps the Windows Defender is doing something. It is odd the one file had no issues and the other does. You did not run out of drive space did you?

#4 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:32 AM

engmod, on 07 December 2020 - 11:59 PM, said:

Hi Douglas,

I have v scales A&O and use it all of the time.
I have never had a problem with any of Andre's stuff.

Your machine however is having multiple problems?

Have you tried downloading again?
Do you have another computer in the house that you could try unpacking the files on?

I have A&O Sub as well. It functions perfectly. I downloaded that and installed it on a now non-functional Windows 8 machine, and transferred it over to my new Windows 10 system. I trying to get the old machine fixedso it runs long enough to download, install and move the ON route. No joy so far.

#5 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:34 AM

ckawahara, on 08 December 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

Even with your AV turned off, the download may have files that are being flagged as suspicious due to some file name or similiar signature. Is the AV being disabled only during the download process or while you are unzipping also? My AV issues a warning about suspicious file and permits an over-riding of the block file. You are receiving no warning? When you view the download, is the file size zero? If you are using Windows 10, perhaps the Windows Defender is doing something. It is odd the one file had no issues and the other does. You did not run out of drive space did you?

Plenty of disk space and memory. I haven't tried extracting with the AV turned off. I'll do that next.

So far, no AV warnings yet, but that's not unusual in my experience with Avast.

#6 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

The file is actually being downloaded? No a temporary zip. Actually has megabytes in it? You can open the zip file and see the names of the files?

#7 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:28 AM

Elmo313, on 07 December 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

I recently downloaded the Ozark Northern from V Scale Creations. The first part downloads fine, and installs to Open Rails (c:\OpenRails) without any problems. The second part of the download has no content, or does not extract any content. I had a conversation with Andre Ming, and both of us are stumped as to why this would happen. Andre suggested I post on the forum. He's sure someone here has a solution.

I have tried the downloads with firewalls and anti-virus turned off. I have extracted the archives using WinRAR, 7zip and Windows Explorer. I have run the .exe as an administrator. I have rebooted my computer and run the setup as an administrator. I have run the setup files in compatibility mode for XP and Windows 7. Nothing has worked so far, and Andre and I are out of ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to extract the files and get them installed?

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

This reply may be too late to be useful, but I recently had a similar problem installing the East Metro RR route from www.ohiovalleysystem.com -- the installer program runs and appears to be creating lots of files, but every folder turns out to be EMPTY.

The solution -- save the installation program on your Windows desktop, and set the compatibility options for Windows XP SP3, then run it. (Thanks to Richard Couvillon for this suggestion).

Regards,
Dan Reid

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users