• You cannot reply to this topic

Basic locomotive modelling Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CaPCaTiC 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forums, and in fact this is my first time posting. I'm not sure if this is even the correct place to post this, but as I don't have access to the rest of the forums, this will have to do. I'm looking to start making content for OR, and I have some ideas in mind, but I don't even know where to start. I once tried making a locomotive for Trainz in Blender. It didn't go well, but I have a minimal understanding of the program. So my question to you is: how should I start my modelling endeavors? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:04 AM

My first attempts didn't go well either but I kept on attempting until they did work. I still attempt things that fail but if I do more research and keep trying I finally get there.

On the assumption that you want to learn to use Blender and you don't want to pay for a structured course, I would initially suggest watching the first 15 videos in Blender Fundamentals 2.8. They are short videos that will show you how to get around blender and give you an overview of the handful of tools that you will end up using for mesh modelling.

First Steps - Blender 2.80 Fundamentals
https://www.youtube.....ksYnB0qL9yWDO6

Then start watching different absolute beginner tutorials on youtube. Don't worry if it doesn't all make sense at first. I found I had to come back to watch some parts again or come back later when other things started to make sense.

Once you are comfortable in blender adding boxes and cylinders into the scene and moving, scaling, rotating and editing them then try a 'real world' object.

It is often suggested that new modellers to try something a little easier for a first project like a simple house. Getting a house 'in game' wont take as long as a locomotive and will give you the confidence to tackle something more complex like a locomotive.

I would also suggest the following 2 videos which use background images for reference. These are for a car but employ the same 'hard surface modelling' techniques that are used to build locomotives, wagons, buildings, etc.

Low Poly Vehicles | Easy Beginner | Blender 2.8 Tutorial
https://www.youtube....h?v=Zkg7Ol2jEjs

The following video is more lengthy but at the beginning shows how to scale blueprints so that they are to real world measurements.

Modeling a LOW POLY NISSAN GT-R R35 | Blender 2.83 Complete Tutorial
https://www.youtube....h?v=5cM_lhRmiQI

Learning 3D modelling, like any skill takes time and patience. 3D modelling is not simple to learn, however it is not impossible to learn if you persist. The more you do it the better and faster you get. If it gets to much just leave it and go do something else. Come back to it later and try again. If you persist, you will overcome and ultimately end up with a pastime that you hopefully find relaxing and personally rewarding.

I would also suggest getting Shape File Viewer and looking at other models to see how they were built. Press the backspace key in Shape File Viewer and see how the modeller used a combination of boxes and cylinders to make the final object. Observe what details are geometry and what details are textures. What looks good to you and what don't you like. Use that information when deciding on how you are going to build your models.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just ask.

Cheers,

Marek.

#3 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

I realized recently that STEAM keeps track of my hours in Blender. 151 hours so far... and all I have to show for actual BLENDER content IN-GAME is a 12' Concrete Jersey Barrier.

It takes practice and patience. (And not having 50 projects started but not finished.)

I never assume that I am doing my best output when working on the first few items I create. You need to get a lot of skills sharpened before trying the project you really want to do or you will get discouraged.

Marek's advice is great... heed it.

I learned most of what I know now from watching some 'low poly' training videos that I bought on Udemy.com so a structured class might be a good option.

TIPS:
1) Organize your work folder. I create the following folders for each project `final`, `mesh`, `objects`, `textures`, `tmp`, `reference`. This really helps.

2) Understand (I mean 'practice') the following editing tools: EXTRUDE, INSET, BEVEL and LOOP CUT (Others can come later but start with these)

3) as well as the MIRROR and SOLIDIFY modifiers (Others can come later but start with these)

4) Locate blueprints, drawings, references from good sources... using an inaccurate reference will doom you from the start. This is a tough one to solve... some references are really hard to find.

Consider buying or acquiring some Blender Addons to make your life easier...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users