Elvas Tower: Wishes for improvement of braking systems - Elvas Tower

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wishes for improvement of braking systems Adding and correcting of features Rate Topic: -----

#351 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 28 April 2023 - 01:47 AM

The blending we are talking about is "Local Blending". Here, each locomotive reacts to brake pipe pressures, but it applies dynamic braking instead of train braking where possible. For this, locomotives typically measure the pressure that the Triple Valve is demanding, and isolates it from the brake cylinder while dynamic braking is active.

Sorry. Maybe I worded it wrong, or it was paraphrased by google translator.
The mixed braking mentioned in the first point was local mixing. It is still used on MÁV's V63 electric locomotives. In principle, that locomotive was capable of coupled operation (remote control), but it was never used (3600 kW). Maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes from?
In the case of connected locomotives, does the dynamic brake only work based on brake pipe pressure or via remote control? Or in some mixed way, where braking based on brake pipe pressure only worked in the event of an emergency.
The second point really referred to a complete, closed train. Then let's leave it at that. Maybe later.

Air Leakage of the Brake system caters for the following possible features

In reality, train drivers hold the brake in the Release position. Release can feed afterwards if necessary. They only put it in the closed position when a brake test is held, as Peter mentioned. There is a freight train that travels hundreds of kilometers without a brake test. A train inspection is held at the starting station, which includes a brake test. Not after that.

#352 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 28 April 2023 - 02:47 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 27 April 2023 - 05:09 AM, said:

I don't know about the exact functionality you mention, or what are its possible uses, so I'm not planning to add it at the moment, sorry. You have Quick Release and Overcharge (available as button or position) which might serve for your purposes with adequate configuration.

Czech brake controllers do not have a quick release position.
See this document for the K14 or 6BL brake controller.
It says this:
Release position is at the extreme left of the quadrant, permits air at
main reservoir pressure to flow into the brake pipe for rapid build up of
brake pipe pressure. It should be used with caution to avoid overcharges. A
blow of air is audible with handle in this position.

This is what, I mean by high overcharge without low auto-overcharge. The brake pipe fills faster than in the driving position. The brake pipe is filled to 5 bar in the driving position.

With Czech brake controllers, in the overload position, the brake pipe is filled as quickly as in the driving position, but to a higher pressure of 5.4 bar. It is used to equalize the pressures in the brake pipe between its front and rear in long trains. In order for the rear part of the train to be safely released. Because as the length of the trains increases, the pressure in the brake pipe decreases. Or it will start automatically after applying a high pressure overcharge. If the brake controller can do it.

#353 User is offline   akioyamamura 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:38 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 26 April 2023 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'll think about it. If DP units just follow EQ as you say it's pretty straightforward.

just a detail related to the DPU. In my opinion DP units don't responds immediately the lead unit. At least, a delay of 2 seconds, to simulate the frequency signal work flow, would improve the reality of operation.
In reality all of controls of DPU would need a delay.

#354 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:38 PM

View Postcesarbl, on 27 April 2023 - 11:36 PM, said:

It was unimplemented for twin pipe systems. I uploaded a simple modification for them.

Twin pipe emergency brakes are working much better this build, now you do have to wait before refilling the brake pipe after an emergency application.

View Postcesarbl, on 27 April 2023 - 11:36 PM, said:

Yes, it was a regression. I think I fixed it, so please test next Unstable release.

Using auto bail off no longer causes the brake cylinder pressure to go crazy, which is a definite improvement, but I then noticed another regression. In the current 1.5.1 release, the activation and deactivation of auto bail off results in a gradual decrease and gradual increase, respectively, of the brake cylinder pressure. In the current unstable version, the brake cylinder pressure instantly changes with the activation and deactivation of the automatic bail off. I took a closer look, and this also happens with partial bail off, but only when the dynamic brake is deactivated (the brake cylinder pressure will instantly shoot up to compensate for the dynamic brakes being disabled).

#355 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:49 PM

Using auto bail off no longer causes the brake cylinder pressure to go crazy, which is a definite improvement, but I then noticed another regression. In the current 1.5.1 release, the activation and deactivation of auto bail off results in a gradual decrease and gradual increase, respectively, of the brake cylinder pressure. In the current unstable version, the brake cylinder pressure instantly changes with the activation and deactivation of the automatic bail off. I took a closer look, and this also happens with partial bail off, but only when the dynamic brake is deactivated (the brake cylinder pressure will instantly shoot up to compensate for the dynamic brakes being disabled).

This is more or less intended. Blending pneumatic circuits typically have a selector valve which prevents triple valve air from entering the brake cylinder while the dynamic brake has enough force. If dynamic brakes cannot satisfy the demand, air from the triple valve can travel freely and it will quickly fill the cylinder. Using standard timing as determined by Triple Valve rates (MaxRelease/MaxApplication) is incorrect, because it would produce less brake force until brake is built up again. In particular, this is terrible for UIC brakes in Freight position: application times are greater than 18s, so from the moment dynamic braking stops working until you get demanded BC pressure you will have uneven brake forces at different cars. Some manuals that I read explicitly specify that "when dynamic brake fails, BC application will be as fast as possible, without respecting standard timings" (in this case for high speed trains).

I agree that "as fast as possible" doesn't mean instantly. I intended to solve it during with the inclusion of new features regarding locomotive brakes: proportional valves (that would allow BC pressure to be proportional to pressure as demanded by triple valve, allowing higher BC pressures), and a new set of application/release rates. However, the current set of changes is really big, so this will have to be handled with future modifications.

I could add the different application/release rates now if current behaviour isn't satisfactory.

#356 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 29 April 2023 - 10:42 AM

View Postcesarbl, on 28 April 2023 - 10:49 PM, said:

agree that "as fast as possible" doesn't mean instantly. I intended to solve it during with the inclusion of new features regarding locomotive brakes: proportional valves (that would allow BC pressure to be proportional to pressure as demanded by triple valve, allowing higher BC pressures), and a new set of application/release rates. However, the current set of changes is really big, so this will have to be handled with future modifications.

I could add the different application/release rates now if current behaviour isn't satisfactory.

I suppose for now it would be better to use the brake cylinder rate of change specified by ORTSEngineBrakeApplicationRate and ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate, as generally those should be set to be much faster than the triple valve rates, but not instant.

As for proportional valves, I believe something quite similar in function would be useful for my American work (specifically equipment that lowers BC pressure proportionally below the triple valve output to reduce brake force on empty freight cars), so I'm interested.

#357 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 April 2023 - 11:55 AM

As for proportional valves, I believe something quite similar in function would be useful for my American work (specifically equipment that lowers BC pressure proportionally below the triple valve output to reduce brake force on empty freight cars), so I'm interested.

Proportional valves are only normally found on locomotives. In fact they are standard on modern locomotives - they control the brake cylinder pressure in proportion to reductions in the train brake pipe pressure. They allow the loco brake cylinder to have any appropriate value, which may be outside of that normally achieved with a triple valve, including values greater then the train brake pipe value. They also allow locomotive air brakes (or steam brakes) to be operated by train vacuum brakes.

What you are describing for freight cars is something called load compensation. This is common on modern freight wagons around the world. (It is also used on most passenger trains now, but since we don't have varying passenger loads in Open Rails, we don't need to worry about this for passenger cars.) This should already be possible in OR using the load animation features

EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( x ) and FullMaxBrakeForce ( x ) something like this example from https://www.coalston...sics/animation/ and in Chapter 9 of the testing manual.

ORTSFreightAnims
(
	WagonEmptyWeight( 28.75t )	Comment( 57500lbs )
	EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( 29.892kN )	Comment (Assume empty weight of 62.41t us)

FreightAnimContinuous
(
	FreightWeightWhenFull( 42.725t )
	FullMaxBrakeForce ( 190.771kN )	Comment (Assume full weight of 71.475t us)

)
)

In real life there were two different ways of doing this.

Modern carriages and wagons have a continuously variable brake force depending on load. This is what I understand is described by the above.

Older goods wagons simply had a lever which could be moved to either "Loaded" or "Empty". These had only two possible values of brake force regardless of the load they were carrying. I am not quite sure how this kind of wagon should be modelled in OR.

#358 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor

Posted 29 April 2023 - 12:10 PM

I suppose for now it would be better to use the brake cylinder rate of change specified by ORTSEngineBrakeApplicationRate and ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate, as generally those should be set to be much faster than the triple valve rates, but not instant.

I like this solution. I implemented and uploaded it to the Unstable release with satisfactory results.

#359 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 April 2023 - 02:18 PM

Isn't that what ORTSBrakeInsensitivity is for? Or I misunderstood this token.

Hello, Laci, Cesar and all.
One of three purposes is that (not to be affected on stops without resupply) other two - not to be affected during overcharge elimination and during soft discharge of BP.

Two people asked for this but I never got feedback about it. There is indeed a reset condition (BP increasing), but it cannot obviously trigger if the valve is venting air.

It's better to take the book again and see, but logically: if quick pressure drop causes MECHANICAL distributor to drop air by itself, than returning of discharge rate to normal, or less (up to zero drop) due to any reason (lapping of driver's valve, or almost complete air loss in BP) will cause additional openings to close again. No timeout.

#360 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:46 PM

View Postdarwins, on 29 April 2023 - 11:55 AM, said:

Proportional valves are only normally found on locomotives. In fact they are standard on modern locomotives - they control the brake cylinder pressure in proportion to reductions in the train brake pipe pressure. They allow the loco brake cylinder to have any appropriate value, which may be outside of that normally achieved with a triple valve, including values greater then the train brake pipe value. They also allow locomotive air brakes (or steam brakes) to be operated by train vacuum brakes.

What you are describing for freight cars is something called load compensation. This is common on modern freight wagons around the world. (It is also used on most passenger trains now, but since we don't have varying passenger loads in Open Rails, we don't need to worry about this for passenger cars.) This should already be possible in OR using the load animation features

EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( x ) and FullMaxBrakeForce ( x ) something like this example from https://www.coalston...sics/animation/ and in Chapter 9 of the testing manual.

ORTSFreightAnims
(
	WagonEmptyWeight( 28.75t )	Comment( 57500lbs )
	EmptyMaxBrakeForce ( 29.892kN )	Comment (Assume empty weight of 62.41t us)

FreightAnimContinuous
(
	FreightWeightWhenFull( 42.725t )
	FullMaxBrakeForce ( 190.771kN )	Comment (Assume full weight of 71.475t us)

)
)

In real life there were two different ways of doing this.

Modern carriages and wagons have a continuously variable brake force depending on load. This is what I understand is described by the above.

Older goods wagons simply had a lever which could be moved to either "Loaded" or "Empty". These had only two possible values of brake force regardless of the load they were carrying. I am not quite sure how this kind of wagon should be modelled in OR.

Sorry mate, proportional valves are used on freight cars. Yes, I am talking about load compensation, but proportional valves are how load compensation is achieved on modern American freight stock. It's not an identical setup to locomotives as the use case is generally to produce a lower pressure, not a higher pressure, than usual. But it's there.

For those curious, the way this works is that a car detected to be empty (how this detection works [and sometimes doesn't work] is a whole topic on its own) will divert air away from the brake cylinder toward a dummy reservoir and a proportional valve. The proportional valve will limit the pressure going to the brake cylinder line to a proportional fraction of the pressure coming out of the control valve (usually 60%, 50%, or 40% depending on the empty weight of the train car). The dummy reservoir is there to ensure that the same amount of air is used when the car is empty as when it's loaded, regardless of the reduction in the brake cylinder pressure. The result is that the control valve is fooled into 'thinking' (for example) 64 psi of brake cylinder pressure has been applied, while the brake cylinder pressure is actually only 32 psi. Half the pressure, roughly half the braking force. Easy way to automatically reduce the brake force.

https://i.imgur.com/r5c93fR.png

Also, using Empty/FullMaxBrakeForce is a terribly unrealistic solution, this setup results in the same brake cylinder pressure producing completely different forces. The only way that can happen is if two different brake cylinders are used which is a very old-fashioned way of doing things, which isn't the kind of content I work on. I fully recognize most content creators just live with this, but I don't. The best option right now, and the option I use, is to change the triple valve ratio in the wagon file in order to give lower brake cylinder pressures for the same brake pipe reduction. This causes all sorts of other issues, so it's really a bodge more than anything. That's why proportional valves should be implemented for both loco brakes and wagon brakes.

https://i.imgur.com/wpuA4LY.png

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users