• You cannot reply to this topic

The Farwell Block Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

In the mid 1880's the Farwell Company, a dry goods wholesaler, built a new warehouse on the banks of the Chicago river. At the time it was the largest warehouse for its purpose in the country. At time when electric lights were not around a LOT of windows were an obvious necessity. At some time in the 1930's the Farwell Company merged with a large Chicago retailer, Caron Pirie Scott, who continued to run it as a wholesale business. They spruced up the old building and added their name to the roof:
Attached Image: fb00.jpg

Years later the warehouse was leased by the Federal Government for use in the WWII war effort. One activity conducted here was management of the War Bond effort. The feds continued to use the site as an office after the war. I'm not sure when the building came down... I have one account of 1954 and another some 20 years later. I don't know which is correct.

At any rate, I get to make a model of this -- here is an in-progress screenshot:
Attached Image: Clipboard0257.jpg

I'm mot exactly looking forward to modeling the fire escapes but as they were a common sight in Chicago I have to do it eventually. Maybe I should finish the other two sides before I start. :whistling:

As I made windows to more of the (first pass) buildings, things are looking better.
Attached Image: Clipboard0258.jpg

#2 User is offline   uli 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:28 AM

Hi Dave,

We visited Chicago in September last year and went on a Chicago River cruise offered by the Architecture Center. It was a great experience. Chicago is a city with a fascinating history and architecture. It was only after my return to Germany that I made the connection between the Goose Island route project and the place we had seen during the river cruise. I can only say that although there are still some buildings missing your screenshots perfectly show the unique atmosphere of the Chicago River front. Seeing the development of the route is really exciting.

Uli

#3 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

This building is looking good! I think the fire escapes would be a worthwhile detail. You just have to model one flight of stairs and the rest is all cut and paste. The big sign on the roof and some water tanks and chimneys would finish it off nice.

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:10 AM

Awe-inspiring work, Dave. I really like that illustration showing the bridge and street car. This is really cool and I look forward to seeing more.

I'm very much interested in the CSL, just never really delved into it. So many cool things to explore!

:sign_rockon:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users