In-game window drag and scrollbar behaviour Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mastereve 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Train Simulator

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hello team,

First of all, thank you for accepting my request to join your team and I hope I can be of service around here :victory:

I've been playing around with the user interface and I've noticed that you cand drag around windows by clicking anywhere on them. For a newcomer this may seem a little strange since the first instinct when you see a scrollbar, for example, is to grab the handle and try to drag downwards to scroll the text.
Unfortunately the scrollbar handle doesn't work and the whole window starts to drag in the direction of the mouse.

I am proposing two things:

1. Make the windows movable only by clicking on their header (like in Windows Desktop)
2. Allow scrolling by holding the scroll handle or by using the mouse wheel.

If this is acceptable, I can provide the code for both points.

Regards,
Alex

Edit: I am referring to the in-game windows (F1, F5, compas, etc.)

This post has been edited by Mastereve: 06 December 2019 - 02:24 AM

#2 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostMastereve, on 05 December 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

Hello team,

First of all, thank you for accepting my request to join your team and I hope I can be of service around here :victory:

I've been playing around with the user interface and I've noticed that you cand drag around windows by clicking anywhere on them. For a newcomer this may seem a little strange since the first instinct when you see a scrollbar, for example, is to grab the handle and try to drag downwards to scroll the text.
Unfortunately the scrollbar handle doesn't work and the whole window starts to drag in the direction of the mouse.

I am proposing two things:

1. Make the windows movable only by clicking on their header (like in Windows Desktop)

Regards,
Alex

I am confused. Not sure what you are referring to. Maybe something was lost in translation. I assumed you were talking about the menu screen windows of ORTS since you mentioned scroll bars, but you titled the thread with the term "In-game". I don't remember ever seeing scroll bars while in game either in the full screen or in the windowed mode. As to moving the window by click-grabbing anywhere in the window and moving the window I could not duplicate. My ORTS window ONLY moves by click-grabbing the title bar in both the menu window and the in-game window.. I did find that the scroll bar would not move the text as you describe BUT that was ONLY when the text did not go beyond the limits of the box. When the route descriptive text exceeded the limits of the box, the scroll bar worked normally. FYI my testing was done using release U2019.12.4-2036.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 05 December 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

I am confused. Not sure what you are referring to. ...

My reading is that the poster is talking about the "in-game" windows that have scrolls...train operation window (F9) for instance. Not a bad idea, I've gotten used to the quirks, but having some standardization with accepted practice of the windows OS does seem reasonable.

#4 User is offline   Mastereve 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Train Simulator

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:21 PM

^ yes I am referring to the F1 window which has some tabs that are scrollable. But it can apply to any HUD window.

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:50 PM

First, welcome to Elvas Tower and Open Rails.... be patient, let some people read your post. Let some people know you are interested in coding...

#6 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

:sign_welcome:

I'm uncertain on this, I feel like allowing more of the window to be available for dragging the easier it is to use. What do other people think?

This has always been an issue I meant to resolve, although I don't know if it'll be easy. I can show you some of the relevant code, though, as I wrote a lot of the current window/UI.

If you could, this would be fantastic! Let me know (mention "James" in a forum post or PM me) if you have any issues with the code or contributing (which reminds me, the website hasn't been updated for our migration to Git).

#7 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 December 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

(which reminds me, the website hasn't been updated for our migration to Git).

Good catch.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

This useful couple of features by Mastereve is now available within OR NewYear MG rev. 49.
If there won't be significant negative comments, the two features could be positively reviewed also for the official OR, because they have their blueprints already approved.
Enjoy dragging the slider of the Train Window for long trains, or roll the mouse wheel in the F1 list of commands!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users