• You cannot reply to this topic

Shape File Viewer DDS Compatibility Updated Software Attached Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

View Postdecapod, on 01 November 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

Not case dependent.

At the moment the new OCX scans the S file for images e.g. XXXX.ACE if it finds that file it tries to load it as if it was a DDS file before checking if it's an ACE file.
It does not look in the folder for XXXX.DDS at the moment - which is what I suspect OR does.

Right....sorry if the question was a bit daft. I think I will have to test this to see how it actually works. At present, if the reference inside of the .S file is .DDS, those texture files are loaded. I have not tested the scenario where a given texture name is present in both .dds and .ace format.

Thanks you,
Steve

#32 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

View Postdecapod, on 01 November 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

Not case dependent.

At the moment the new OCX scans the S file for images e.g. XXXX.ACE if it finds that file it tries to load it as if it was a DDS file before checking if it's an ACE file.
It does not look in the folder for XXXX.DDS at the moment - which is what I suspect OR does.

Hi Paul,

Thought I had tested this thoroughly - however - I'm still having an issue with the fail over - or I may have a gross conceptual error... You had a DDS with your example and your shape listed DDS - which works... So - I took the DDS turned it GREEN and saved it as an ACE... I edited your shape file - changing it from DDS to ACE...

Now - Shape Viewer opens the GREEN ACE file and ignores the DDS... I thought it should look for the DDS first - then fallback to the ACE...

If I remove the ACE - Shape Viewer doesn't find any texture - with the DDS still present...

Am I fudging this up ? I did a fresh install of Shape Viewer - no joy...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Example with DDS and ACE: Attached File  SCO_trainlib.zip (329.99K)
Number of downloads: 9

Version Info:

Attached File  SV_ver.jpg (50.23K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  SFcanvas.JPG (29.4K)
Number of downloads: 0

#33 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

Hi Paul,

Oh - I read this whole thread again and tried it - I think I see what you're saying - also - this is exactly what you provided in the file attachment in post 1 - - - we need to rename our DDS files to ACE (if ACE is listed in the shape) in order for this to work ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

#34 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Renaming .dds files to .ace isn't really a solution.

I had a look at a batch of Streamlines/Train Simulator shapes. All have textures listed in the shape files as .ace files. Most have both .dds file and .ace files present. Some have only .dds files, despite the shape file calling for .ace files.

Christopher

#35 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

Hi Christopher,

If that’s the way it is - I could see some real confusion when trying to open ACE files and nothing comes up in TGA Tool because it’s really a DDS masquerading as an ACE... Probably 99% of the shape files list ACE format - I don’t think I can export a shape with a DDS listed in 3DC - it would have to be a manual effort post export... Ideally - it would be best to function similar to ORTS - prefer DDS with a fallback to the standard ACE routine...

Regards,
Scott

#36 User is offline   decapod 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:29 AM

It's a small change, hopefully I'll have another version of the OCX that looks for the DDS first very soon.

#37 User is offline   decapod 

• Apprentice

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:20 AM

New version 1.3.181

File download link: https://drive.google...AOpfrVX9WwOBOsw

Wherever you find the trainlib.ocx (shapeviewer or windows\system folders) on your system, replace it with the trainlib.ocx in this zip file.
Zip also includes an example loco where the textures are defined as ACE within the S file but only DDS files are present.

From the View->Textures menu in shapeviewer they still list as ACE files but the texture type will appear as DDS DXT*

#38 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:57 AM

View Postdecapod, on 05 November 2019 - 03:20 AM, said:

New version 1.3.181

File download link: https://drive.google...AOpfrVX9WwOBOsw

Wherever you find the trainlib.ocx (shapeviewer or windows\system folders) on your system, replace it with the trainlib.ocx in this zip file.
Zip also includes an example loco where the textures are defined as ACE within the S file but only DDS files are present.

From the View->Textures menu in shapeviewer they still list as ACE files but the texture type will appear as DDS DXT*

Hi Paul,

Can't thank you enough - let me give this a workout - LOL - my joy at having new capabilities for Shape Viewer is balanced by my guilt for roping you into this little project of many "small changes"... Death by a thousand cuts...
:p

Hey - does your PayPal link still work ? I can assuage my guilt a bit if I buy you a couple more beers...

:sign_thanks:

Regards,
Scott

#39 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

Hi Paul,

Winner winner chicken dinner...

By Jove - I think you have it - ol' boy...
:)

Looks good to me...

I'll let this soak for the rest of the week and with your permission - I'll upload this on ET and TS - unless you would rather do it...

Also - FYI - I think Yuri's link for Shape Viewer might be broken - I can't get it to work - so if someone needs the original - they might have an issue... It's the only place I know of that has the latest...

I have version 237 of your original file - should I include that with your patch when uploaded ???

:sign_thanks:

Regards,

Scott

#40 User is offline   decapod 

• Apprentice

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

Upload wherever you want to :)

I'll play with ORTS a bit more and might even manage to repackage the whole lot as SV 2.4

I could even get around to adding more functions :)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users