Elvas Tower: Bell animation - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bell animation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:01 AM

I am creating some simulation videos with the UP #4014 (Big Boy). It has a nice brass bell, but when it sounds... it doesn't move, because no bell animation was foreseen in MSTS. So I am thinking about adding such animation; the animation part could be called ORTSBELL. Is there interest in this? Is there someone which could add such animation to a loco shape, so that I could test this feature?

#2 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:32 AM

Hi Carlo,

I would be happy to download one of the locomotives from the resources and animate the bell, if you don't have a better offer.

Geoff

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

Hi Folks,

Yes - highly interested - just mentioned it in another post quite recently... I actually tried this before in the early days of MSTS - and it sort of worked - before I realized the animation would be linked to the speed of the locomotive - it was pretty funny seeing the bell slam back and forth when I tested it... I think you need the source code of a locomotive to animate a bell - so we can’t do it on the Big Boy - right ?

I could set it up during the week on my current project locomotive - I won’t have time today - then send it to you ?

How do we control the speed of the animation ?

Oh - missed Geoff’s post - that’s great too and should work as a valid test - perhaps he can do it sooner than my schedule allows as well...

The other things we still need to address with steam locomotives - if anyone looks at it or has any interest - is cylinder cock smoke effects synchronized to the movement of the piston/wheel rotation - cylinder cock smoke effect for articulated locomotives - and some type of retarding mechanism for when the drivers slip - there should be some resistance even when slipping to prevent infinite animation speed...

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

Hi Scott,

I have sent Carlo a locomotive with an animated bell. It's a bit rough and ready, but it works in the sim in the same way you mentioned - with the bell swinging in time with the wheel rotation.

Cheers,

Geoff

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

View Postmrmosky, on 19 May 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

Hi Scott,

I have sent Carlo a locomotive with an animated bell. It's a bit rough and ready, but it works in the sim in the same way you mentioned - with the bell swinging in time with the wheel rotation.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Perfect - thanks so much - as mentioned - highly desirable for me...

Thanks Carlo too - for your interest...

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

Hi Geoff,
I've received the message and downloaded the test loco, thank you!
As soon as I'll have a result, I'll let it know here.

#7 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

Is it possible to animate the bell separately so that it can be varied to match the ringing in the SMS file ?

Just Askin !

#8 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

I did experiment with a form of bell animation using the MSTS BIN Mirror animation a long time ago. It kinda worked but required regualr pressing of a key combination command to keep the bell swinging. A dedicated swing animation would be fantastic!

An old video of my attempt at it in MSTS:

#9 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostHobo, on 19 May 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

Is it possible to animate the bell separately so that it can be varied to match the ringing in the SMS file ?

Just Askin !

Agreed. The animation does not need to be linked to the rotation of the wheels. We need an entry to adjust the speed of the animation.
Example:
ORTSBell ( 1.1 )

Where 1.1 is the speed of the animation in frames per second.

#10 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:30 AM

I have a first version running. Here a small video
https://youtu.be/E-GQZl76Pn4

Bell matrices and animations in .s file must start with ORTSBELL .
The frame rate of the animations is 8 per second. In fact in Geoff's example (Geoff, thank you again for the perfect test case) there are 16+1 animation steps, which means that a full swing forward and backward lasts 2 seconds. The sound must be adjusted accordingly, which means that the sound file must contain two bell strokes, each one lasting a second, plus the eventual fadeoff at the end. I was lucky and could find BB_bell.wav and X_BB_bell.wav which have 4 bell strokes, each lasting 1 second (!). As the first bell stroke should start not immediately, but when the bell is about at the maximum of the swing, I cut out a part of the two files so that the first bell stroke starts at about 250 ms from the beginning of the file. The resulting file contains two strokes + a fadeoff and has a cue point at the beginning and one after two seconds.
I will now analyse if this feature may be easily applied also to AI trains and to remote trains (in Multiplayer), then I foresee to publish that first in the OR MG release and then, if accepted, in the official release.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users